Motorola Issues Statement Stating Why it Won't Upgrade Droid 3 and Droid X2 to ICS

apotheosis415

Reaction score
free upgrade to D4

They, moto and Verizon, need to offer all D3 owners the ability to upgrade to the D4 at no cost and NO contract extension. besides there will be a d5 or D4 maxx or whatever by the time this rolls out any way.

We all know it can run the ICS and we all know it's just an excuse.

They never should have released the D3 if they planned on doing a D4 so closely after. And you know they probably had test models of the D4 when the D3 was released.

Again its the Walmart model. Make tons and tons of devices, very little change from one to the other, only giving a **** about profits and not the customers.

I will never buy a moto phone again. Period. Im going contract-less after this too. **** having to wait sooo long to upgrade phones. its ridiculous.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Like it or not, the 512MB of RAM is the reason why it is not being updated. The question isn't whether or not it CAN run ICS, of course it can. The question is simple - will an ICS update provide a BETTER user experience with equivalent or better performance than the current OS?

ICS really does have a larger memory footprint, and on a 512MB device overall performance may decrease compared to Gingerbread. So in this way, it would provide a worse user experience. ICS was really written for devices with 1GB+ of RAM. Sure, there are custom ICS ROMs for devices with as little as 256MB, but they do not run well. And from what I have seen, these low end ICS tablets with 256MB and 512MB of RAM don't exactly wow with performance.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
They never should have released the D3 if they planned on doing a D4 so closely after. And you know they probably had test models of the D4 when the D3 was released.

Well, knowing that the D3 was not an LTE device, people should have ASSUMED that a QWERTY device with LTE capabilities was coming soon. The D4 was no surprise to me. Surely it wasn't a surprise to anyone else, either.

GuiltyBreak

Reaction score
What a bummer to the D3 and X2 owners, at least my R2D2 got GB and I am happy with it and will carry me to my next phone, which wont be moto..

meishkov

Reaction score
I wouldn't care if I had a D3. I'd just flash steel Droid 10 n go into Verizon n be like SEE!!!!

Sent from my OG using DroidForums

donzz

Reaction score
Big Deal! My work gave me a Galaxy Nexus with ICS and I really don't see what the big deal is? You're really not missing out on much.

apotheosis415

Reaction score
Well, knowing that the D3 was not an LTE device, people should have ASSUMED that a QWERTY device with LTE capabilities was coming soon. The D4 was no surprise to me. Surely it wasn't a surprise to anyone else, either.

Well you had assumed correctly, this time. But assuming is not for sure. And I had an upgrade, my D1 was dying, I went with what I was told one of the best android devices. But not more than 6 months later they come out with a D4. You cannot do this an expect people not to be upset. If you do that , you need to be prepared to allow people a way to upgrade. Its like when someone buys a ipad 2 a week before the ipad hd comes out, they offered a 100 dollar discount.

Its like apple releasing mountain lion for developers, then they release a mac book pro, saying its the ****, then when mountain lion comes out 6 months later, they say sorry, your computer doesn't have the stuff to run this, BUT if you buy this phone off contract for 600 plus YOU CAN! Its a bad business call. People will be angry unless you do something to compensate for that. But when you are this big you can get away with it.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought HTC had a phone coming soon with Sense 4.0 and ICS...and 512MB ram? If that holds true.....this will make Moto look bad. Depending on how good that HTC phone runs tho.

I said this last year....notice how the DX2 and D3 didnt have any Droid commercials? Every other Motorola Droid phone before and after did. That right there had my real curious.

I know going from a Droid 1 to a Droid X1...I see why so many ppl liked the Incredible coming from a Droid 1. The faster cpu and more ram made for a better experience. Going from a Droid X1 to a RAZR....again....the differences are felt with the better cpu and more ram.

Last edited:

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Like it or not, the 512MB of RAM is the reason why it is not being updated. The question isn't whether or not it CAN run ICS, of course it can. The question is simple - will an ICS update provide a BETTER user experience with equivalent or better performance than the current OS?

ICS really does have a larger memory footprint, and on a 512MB device overall performance may decrease compared to Gingerbread. So in this way, it would provide a worse user experience. ICS was really written for devices with 1GB+ of RAM. Sure, there are custom ICS ROMs for devices with as little as 256MB, but they do not run well. And from what I have seen, these low end ICS tablets with 256MB and 512MB of RAM don't exactly wow with performance.
You sound like your talking based simply on hardware specs. If you had a D2,D2G,DX2 or D3, you would understand that ICS runs just fine on these devices. I use AOKP on my D2G and I honestly feel no difference in smoothness between GB and ICS, but I love the features and improved UI that ICS brought to devices.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
jroc said:
I thought HTC had a phone coming soon with Sense 4.0 and ICS...and 512MB ram? If that holds true.....this will make Moto look bad. Depending on how good that HTC phone runs tho.

The NEXUS S only has 512, plus Sony xperia line from last year is getting it. Including the Play. Go look up the play specs. It's not that high end at all.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score

I said this last year....notice how the DX2 and D3 didnt have any Droid commercials? Every other Motorola Droid phone before and after did. That right there had my real curious.

I know going from a Droid 1 to a Droid X1...I see why so many ppl liked the Incredible coming from a Droid 1. The faster cpu and more ram made for a better experience. Going from a Droid X1 to a RAZR....again....the differences are felt with the better cpu and more ram.

Yeah, HTC's One V has 512mb of Ram. Just saw a video review of it on youtube.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
MissionImprobable said:

Other than ICS and Sense 4.0 the specs remind me of the original Incredible.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I don't understand what everyone is all ticked off about. Well, I mean, I DO understand. But I don't understand why everyone thinks Verizon / Motorola owes them something. They're a business, trying to make a profit. To some level, yes, they need great customer service. But for the average consumer (remember, tech savvy forum members are probably a fairly small percentage of their user base) as long as they get bugfixes and their device lasts two years, they don't care if a different OS comes out and isn't released for their phone. I had an HTC Thunderbolt. It was taking so long to get ICS that I just went and got a Nexus on my upgrade instead of holding onto it. Then the SGIII comes out. And something better than that will come out too. Am I complaining? No. That's just the way it is. A new phone will come out 6 months after you upgrade and you will get device envy. I'm sorry, that's just the way it is. Never buy a device that you don't think you'd be happy with for two years. If you're able to upgrade off contract, great. If not, you won't have sour grapes.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

Just read up on some reviews of this phone....single core and 512MB ram? With Sense 4.0?

This doesnt look good for Motorola IMO. I'm going to go with the theory they just dont wanna invest the extra time and money in support. Moto and/or Verizon didnt wanna invest the extra advertizing dollars in Droid commercials for them. That to me says something...

Last edited:

silverfang77

Reaction score
People are angry because if our phones are able to run a new OS, they should get it.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.