Droid X2 Will Not Receive Ice Cream Sandwich

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
droidx2.jpeg

In a letter to a Droid X 2 customer who made a Better Business Bureau complaint, shows that the DX2 will not be being seeing the Ice Cream Sandwich that is expected to roll-out to a variety of Verizon's Droid handsets. The message in it's entirety reads:

Dear Ivan,

I am responding to the complaint you filed with Better Business Bureau regarding our Droid X2 model phone. I reviewed your recent case notes and it is noted that you received information from Motorola regarding Bootloader unlock and Ice Cream Sandwich.

We are working to balance the operator requirement for security to the end user, while supporting the developer communities desire to use these products as a development platform. It is our intention to enable the unlockable/relockable bootloader currently found on Motorola XOOM on other devices, where carrier and operators will allow it. This process is requiring a good deal of consideration and technical infrastructure and we have no announcements to make at this time for unlocking any devices.

Droid X2 is not on our list of devices that are slated to get Ice Cream Sandwich, but that does not mean it is not continuing to get support. Though it will remain on Gingerbread it is eligible for software updates if it’s determined that any are needed.

Thank You,
Dorothy Hodges
Corporate Consumer Advocacy Office

Perhaps it's the "low" amount of RAM that the X2 shipped with, but whatever the reason it is sure to be a letdown to X2 owners. 6 month old Android smartphone not being upgraded to the latest and greatest is quite a letdown in Android land. Droid X2 owners sound off. Were you expecting the upgrade, and how does this leave you feeling with Motorola?

Via: Phonearena

huskur

Reaction score
Personally i didn't think there would be any 3G devices getting ICS. There are a couple but i don't remember which ones.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I swear I saw a list from Moto/Verizon indicating that the DX2 would get ICS. How much you wanna bet its to stop the DX from getting a working camera in ICS roms. Roms definitely help users to put off buying a new phone when they can get the new software on their existing phones. I'm done with Moto. I am sadly stuck with Verizon as its much better in my area than AT&T is these days, but Moto has lost my business.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
the majority of the world will not care about this . the less than 1% who visit forums will likely care. i know several X2 owners .. none of them even know what ICS is.. or a bootloader for that matter. i wager for those who want it it will be ported over by a dev.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Specs have nothing to do with it. They're just using it to cover up the real reason, which is probably along the lines of the X2 didn't sell well enough to warrant it.

ExodusC

Reaction score
I think I'm done with Motorola. I've owned a few handsets, and nothing matches up to the Droid 1, simply because of the unlocked bootloader.

I think I will go with the Samsung Galaxy SIII as my upgrade, if it lives up to expectations.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Specs have nothing to do with it. They're just using it to cover up the real reason, which is probably along the lines of the X2 didn't sell well enough to warrant it.

i agree

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ya I don't foresee any 3G devices getting ICS officially. Sadly the DX2 and D3 were rushed out to capture a few more new customers. The Bionic should've been the DX2 and the D3 shouldn't have happened without being 4g.

illmatic636

Reaction score
My heart goes out to all you DX2 owners, but you had to see this coming!
Why else were they giving this phone away with an upgrade and contract renewal?

The bottom line is, the phone works great with the OS currently on it.
The newest and greatest won't be for free, or even $99.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Ya I don't foresee any 3G devices getting ICS officially. Sadly the DX2 and D3 were rushed out to capture a few more new customers. The Bionic should've been the DX2 and the D3 shouldn't have happened without being 4g.

I thought it was already announced that the Inc2 and Rhyme are getting ICS.

Last edited:

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
The DINC 2 is supposed to be getting ICS...

robert70

Reaction score
I don't really care either way, that's what roms are for,, if we get it we get it,,if we don't,,we roms it lol

Sent from my Rockin X2.

blacksoxing

Reaction score
Like someone else already mentioned...the MAJORITY don't even KNOW what Gingerbread is....or how to root your phone...or what a bootloader is....or even benefits of ICS (or even what ICS is!!!!)

This reminds me of when I had my D1. When the update well was running dry...and 2.2 wasn't guaranteed....I didn't care. I had this website. And whenever I would speak about this stuff w/regular folk, they'd look at me like I was some super technical wiz. And I'd look at them like "Why don't you care....oh...."

So I'm sure DX2 users ain't crying rivers honestly. If you are, you probably already know a few sources in which you can get this the moment the bootloader is ready for it