Motorola's ICS Device Specific Update Plans Released

Redbeaver

Reaction score
Canada - Q2 2012.

That's all I need to know.

dancedroid

My friends not into tech however will have to deal with an old OS unfortunately though for quite a while longer. Most are too scared to let me root their phones.

deal with an old OS?

tell that to the gazillion iPhone and BB users... GB in RAZR is just fine and dandy.

would love to get ICS, but i bought my phone for the OS currently in it. not for the OS it's going to get. else, i would've bought the phone later.

A.Brooks

Reaction score
Looks like the RAZR Maxx I just ordered yesterday is about to be heading back, I refuse to be back burnered on a 'flagship' phone. I've got my 14 days and I will use it and see if I care enough, but this right here is enough to make a guy want to go get an iPhone. I know I know that's blasphemy, but I really don't care at this point. There is no balance of a good android phone with good support. If it weren't for the dev community this would be even worse, I'll have to wait and see what's out there for the Razr from the community, see what I find and maybe that can save the device for me. Pretty pitiful Moto, pretty pitiful.

Redbeaver

Reaction score
Looks like the RAZR Maxx I just ordered yesterday is about to be heading back, I refuse to be back burnered on a 'flagship' phone. I've got my 14 days and I will use it and see if I care enough, but this right here is enough to make a guy want to go get an iPhone. I know I know that's blasphemy, but I really don't care at this point. There is no balance of a good android phone with good support. If it weren't for the dev community this would be even worse, I'll have to wait and see what's out there for the Razr from the community, see what I find and maybe that can save the device for me. Pretty pitiful Moto, pretty pitiful.

so u prefer iOS than Gingerbread?

hey, whatever makes u happy :hail:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
You're going to return a phone because it's not getting ICS until late this year? Yeah I'm going to return my new truck because Ford is coming out with the 2013's soon.

so u prefer iOS than Gingerbread?

hey, whatever makes u happy :hail:
Looks like it.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
He prefers a device with good support rather than GB. Makes sense to me. Eventually it can get old waiting for a device to get an update. The iPhone has better support than any Android device out there because they're all updated at once.

Redbeaver

Reaction score
He prefers a device with good support rather than GB. Makes sense to me. Eventually it can get old waiting for a device to get an update. The iPhone has better support than any Android device out there because they're all updated at once.

so good support = fast updates?

but RAZR is better than iPhone, and GB is better than iOS, yes?

so he prefers an inferior device with faster updates than a superior device with slower updates?

so what guarantees the updates will make the inferior phone better than the superior phone? he'd rather use iOS for a couple of months, until they get another update which doesn't guarantee it'll make it better than GB; rather than use GB for a few more months and get ICS, which either is better than current iOS?

makes no sense to me.

guess he likes iPhone that much more then.

im not really trying to trash him for going the Apple way, my wife on 3GS, and she's now contemplating 4S or wait until end of year for iPhone 5. i play around with it a lot and its a GREAT phone. its slick, way more user-friendly than Android (IMHO), have cute games and nice apps. sure, it steals ur personal data, so just don't put important information in it. sure, it's a smaller screen, but the prestige of whipping out an iPhone while ur in the mall or in the bus is irreplaceable with an Android.

heck, i was in the univ gym yesterday and some guys are saying "thats a piece of crap, dude. that's not an iPhone."
"but its the latest Google Nexus! look, it has..."
"yea, but **** not an iPhone, brah."

so, really, its a really good phone, and i'm all for my wife sticking to them. that's what makes her happy.

and happy wife is happy life. :D

but i'll stick to a great phone. dancedroid

and, like i said. i buy a phone for the OS currently installed in it. if i want to buy a phone with ICS, i would've picked up GNex or wait a few months.
if he picks up the Maxx coz rumours say it'll get ICS in a month or two, well that's just silly.

blacksoxing

Reaction score
No one cares how they feel! please the costumers

No no no man....

Perfect example: Sprint "pleasing the customers" by rushing out 2.1 on the Hero. That phone wasn't meant for it!!!! What a disaster!!!! Initially, they did OTA updates which flooded Sprint w/folks who were new to Android (remember, these were folks who ain't ever had a smartphone or maybe had a Windows Mobile/BB phone at most) who just got used to 1.6 and now had to use buggy stuff on a phone that was already slow.

They then quietly scaled that back to just being able to download it from their website. I dunno if they ever went back to OTA updates. I threw it on my friend's Hero after he kept bugging me to do so and it was nothing but "blah blah blah this don't feel right man....can you revert back????"

YOU will want ICS. My theory in life is that if someone posts on a message board about technology, then they'll want it. I bought my Nexus for ICS...knowing I'll be an early adopter. That's life.

But John from around the way, or Jill from your job, or Leroy, the smart dude who sits by you in class....they won't care. "As long as it works now!" is their mentality.

You "please the costumers" by giving them something that they can't complain about too much. Because the vast majority ain't going to have this website to help them fix problems or vent about frustrations....they're going to have an 800 number, a sales associate who may not know crap, and a bunch of people w/out the phone going "there there....MY phone works fine....maybe you should switch...."

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canada - Q2 2012.

That's all I need to know.

dancedroid

deal with an old OS?

tell that to the gazillion iPhone and BB users... GB in RAZR is just fine and dandy.

would love to get ICS, but i bought my phone for the OS currently in it. not for the OS it's going to get. else, i would've bought the phone later.
I by no means am saying GB is bad. But when people see something new is out they usually tend to go, "When can I get this?". And in that case.. in quite some time still. I mean JellyBean is already in works/talks..

Also, having the D3 which has almost the same exact setup as the RAZR and D4.. ICS is just a much cleaner OS when it comes to being even a little bit more smooth and just cleaner and more.. "sophisticated" looking.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Perhaps my memory is bad.... but didn't gb come out around April or May of this last year??? I think that's when my dx2 got it.

So it kinda makes sense for them to release the new wares around the same time every year. At least to me..... DON'T THROW ROCKS AT ME!!!!! lol its just my opinion.

sent from my RAZR MAXX

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
As has been my statement in other related issues, this is going to continue to happen until android production is scaled down. There is no reason there should be in the realm of 100 different android devices currently for sale between all the different carriers. If each manufacturer would release around two flagship phones and two to three mid-to-low tier devices there could be some coherency in developing the newest OS rollouts. Guess we'll see if anyone wises up.

MIUI tested, mother approved.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

pyro6128

Reaction score
Haha all the people who bought moto devices who justified it with,"we'll get ics soon". We told you so. Never underestimate the bloated powers of blur and verizon when it comes to delayed updates.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yeah just skip ICS. I want jellybean!!! Like now!!! Lol. I'm just kidding guys.

sent from my RAZR MAXX

Droidram56

Reaction score
I think it is a very safe bet that Jellybean will not be seen anytime near summer.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Redbeaver

Reaction score
so, with Canada and EU confirmed getting it in Q2, but US gets it... "soon"...

u think its Motorola n their CDMA dev got issues, or just Verizon?