OP
short283

short283

Reaction score
But with phones they are basically discontinued by three years later

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Agree that manufacturers are playing the percentages in releasing defective equipment. As a previous post pointed out, vendors play on our insatiable appetite for bigger, better & faster. In my humble opinion, what will ultimately sort things out is how quickly vendors respond to their release blunders. Even the generally uninformed masses eventually catch on to non-response to support issues.

From what I am seeing from Motorola, this will catch up with them. Not really sure yet how Google's acquisition will play, maybe they are still negotiating a lower price. ;-) at this pace they should be!

atlrus

Reaction score
well, this will be my last Moto phone, so the percentages for them will get smaller. Now there is nothing Moto can do to EVER win me back as a customer.

ripper2860

Reaction score
well, this will be my last Moto phone, so the percentages for them will get smaller. Now there is nothing Moto can do to EVER win me back as a customer.

I understand the frustration and frankly would feel the same, but I honestly don't know if the issues are all Motorola. I suspect the biggest issue (connectivity) is really a VZ network issue as it seems to cut across multiple phone MFG's.

Last edited:

TatDroid

Reaction score
wow.. wall of text.

Lol. I was thinking the same thing. The last sentence in the OP is over 125 words long. I guess the "short" in OP's name is not referring to length of sentences.

wingdo

Reaction score
I understand the frustration and frankly would feel the same, but I honestly don't know if the issues are all Motorola. I suspect the biggest issue (connectivity) is really a VZ network issue as it seems to cut across multiple phone MFG's.

I don't think it is VZW's network per se. LTE is basically still in its infancy and Verizon has the largest LTE network in the world. I am hopeful that the 2nd generation LTE chipsets will resolve most issues. Once LTE gets integrated into the same chip as CDMA the handoff issue from one radio chip to the other goes away with it. Battery life will also improve as at that point only one radio will chip will be drawing power when LTE is on as opposed to the current two.

And to the OP i went from a D1 to a Thunderbolt and now a Bionic. All I can say is I am happy to be back on Moto hardware.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is why you don't buy a new car till it is at least in its 3rd year of production.

and by the time you have it the newer refined model is set to come out unless its a range Rover that doesn't change much for 10 years

the only way to have them change is stop buying the product... im all for it

konellaz

Reaction score
I have a question then.. How come we can't force the bionic into Lte like we could with the free lte app in market for the TB.. When I forced my TB in lte only I stayed connected, blazing speeds and never dropped for hours on end and good batt life.. I could hotspot my 360 and play black ops from sun up to sun down with not one bit of lag...

wingdo

Reaction score
What do you mean "force it into LTE"? I still own a Thunderbolt and I will be darned if I can find a LTE ONLY mode.

You can toggle between CDMA only and LTE/CDMA on the Bionic, it is under mobile networks. You do not need anything from the Market to do this.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Wing,

I think he means force LTE only, no fallback to 3G. I am in a 3G area only and have no connectivity problems with my Bionic. I know there are lots of threads on the dropping and who or why, but in my estimation it is a software or hardware issue between the two radios. Perhaps confounded by issues with the towers, but with my 3g only I have no problems. I know duh....

Back to the op, I think what I have figured out over the last couple of years is to not expect a phone to be right, out of the box. Plan at least for the first OTA to fix the major issues. So when I bought my bionic, I figured some things would be borked, and that an OTA would be needed. Not having LTE has made my waiting easier, as I have little issue with the stock camera as I use Camera Zoom. I would have guessed that this first OTA would have been a little faster, but it is pretty obvious that this data dropping is a pretty significant issue from the moto/vzw side. Who would have thunk that we would be using airplane mode like back in the GB on D1 days, still:icon_eek:

Craig

wingdo

Reaction score
Bear,

Nope, I did not misunderstand what he said. I got the idea of lock into LTE only with no fallback to 3G(CDMA). What I do not understand is how he is saying this is possible on the Thunderbolt. I have both phones (and a D1) and I cannot find a LTE only setting or app for the TB.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Wing,

Understood. Is there an advanced programming menu like we have with Moto (##program) in your TB. There certainly are a lot of things that could be tested in the moto programming menu. Wonder what would happen if you intentionally borked one of the 3G values and the phone could not connect 3g? Would/could this force a LTE connection only. I do not have LTE to test. I know I used to use this on my D1 to force 1x connections in remote areas where I knew 3g to not exist.

Craig

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
With the Bolt you could get into the EPST (##778#) and mess around with the actual modem settings, and if I remember right, there was a setting in there where the phone would only look for LTE, and connect to nothing else. But that's been awhile back... I know at the very least, within those settings, you could take the phone off of eHRPD and put it on EVDO - wish I could do that on the Bionic... might help with the data drops. Slowed down the handoff tremendously, but I'd rather deal with that than no data at all.

screaminz2002

Reaction score
What can you do? The same can be said for every vendor releasing a phone today. I dont like HTC because of the t-bolt, I dont like Motor because of the bionic, I dont like Apple because of Steve.. Your choices are pretty limited just like carriers. The only thing you can do is research the heck out of a device, not buy it the day it's released, and use that 14 day window to really test it out. Everyone has just become accustomed to things from cell companies not working at release. The same can be said for just about everything with a program that can be updated later through some way.

At the end of the day there is no way to really protest any of these companies. We have become so dependent on being connected that we will continue to put up with what ever they give us. Short of a major class action suit similar to Fords over estimation of horsepower a decade ago, we will just continue to eat our piggy pudding. Seeing as how the PC world has operated this way for 20+ years I don't see it happening.

wingdo

Reaction score
For a TEMPORARY (i.e. until next restart) fix to force LTE only on the Bionic you can enter program mode (dial ##PROGRAM, password is 000000)
Go to 'test mode'
click 'next' twice
from there you can select 'network mode' and set it to LTE only.
This will last until you reboot the phone and then it will revert to prior settings.

I use this menu to move to EVRC-B for voice quality.

Just remember if your LTE signal gets too weak you will flat out lose data instead of having the Bionic try to connect at 3G or 1x.

Last edited: