Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
18 Months of Bionic

First 6 months switching between 3G, 4G and wi fi non-functional

ICS update causes lag, hot phone and low battery life

JB update makes it worse

Just got an S4 it is Nirvana

Motorola Never Again

Very sorry to hear of your less than pleasant experience with the Motorola Bionic. The sad part is that for a small subset of the ever massively larger group of owners, problems can often seem to be unique to a particular phone model, manufacturer, version of OS or carrier, however its simply not true in most cases. Forums are places where people go for one of several reasons, but the prime reason people (I'll inject - most typical members - here), seek out and join a forum is because they're experiencing something with their product that seems to be unique to them and they can't figure out or find the solution elsewhere. So what you have is an unusual concentration of people with "issues" with their devices.

Let me say here, the issues you suffered were real and I am very confident based on your post, frustrating. What I am saying though, is that there was probably one or perhaps a small set of, we'll call them "things" which contributed to the issues you were dealing with, that if properly diagnosed and dealt with directly would have turned your disappointments into triumphs. We have a huge member-set which are very much "Bionic fans", and feel it was if not the best, one of the top two or three phones Motorola has ever made. The following for the Bionic was massive and very tight, and very loyal.

On to the S4... It's a beautiful phone, gorgeous screen, fantastic camera, feels good in the hands, performs magnificently, and I believe you will be very happy in the long run with your decision to upgrade. We have a great team of members and staff here who are also big fans of the S4, several Moderators, Super Moderators and even some of the Admin own and love it, so support is in place and will be there for you going forward.

I wish you much success with your new and very exciting Samsung Galaxy S4.

:icon_ banana:

jstwondrng

Reaction score
18 Months of Bionic

First 6 months switching between 3G, 4G and wi fi non-functional

ICS update causes lag, hot phone and low battery life

JB update makes it worse

Just got an S4 it is Nirvana

Motorola Never Again

Amen! I have the new S4 and it is SWEET!!! To clarify things, I didn't hate the Bionic... But, didn't feel much love for Motorola. Between Verizon and Moto, they managed to make a phone with so much potential fail. Lack of support for most of its existence really put a sour taste in my mouth for Motorola and will never purchase another phone from them again. Not sure how Samsung will be in the future, but so far, I'm impressed. Welcome to the family!

J

OP
D

Derekweb

Reaction score
Very sorry to hear of your less than pleasant experience with the Motorola Bionic. The sad part is that for a small subset of the ever massively larger group of owners, problems can often seem to be unique to a particular phone model, manufacturer, version of OS or carrier, however its simply not true in most cases. Forums are places where people go for one of several reasons, but the prime reason people (I'll inject - most typical members - here), seek out and join a forum is because they're experiencing something with their product that seems to be unique to them and they can't figure out or find the solution elsewhere. So what you have is an unusual concentration of people with "issues" with their devices.

Let me say here, the issues you suffered were real and I am very confident based on your post, frustrating. What I am saying though, is that there was probably one or perhaps a small set of, we'll call them "things" which contributed to the issues you were dealing with, that if properly diagnosed and dealt with directly would have turned your disappointments into triumphs. We have a huge member-set which are very much "Bionic fans", and feel it was if not the best, one of the top two or three phones Motorola has ever made. The following for the Bionic was massive and very tight, and very loyal.

On to the S4... It's a beautiful phone, gorgeous screen, fantastic camera, feels good in the hands, performs magnificently, and I believe you will be very happy in the long run with your decision to upgrade. We have a great team of members and staff here who are also big fans of the S4, several Moderators, Super Moderators and even some of the Admin own and love it, so support is in place and will be there for you going forward.

I wish you much success with your new and very exciting Samsung Galaxy S4.

:icon_ banana:

Glad that you were happy with your Bionic. I followed this forum very closely and learned a lot about new apps, features, etc. I also learned that many had the same problems I have. Many pointed out that the only way out was to root and use another ROM. Sorry, but I should not have to spend my time being a LINUX admin to make the phone work. Yeah, I can do it, but it should not be necessary.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Glad that you were happy with your Bionic. I followed this forum very closely and learned a lot about new apps, features, etc. I also learned that many had the same problems I have. Many pointed out that the only way out was to root and use another ROM. Sorry, but I should not have to spend my time being a LINUX admin to make the phone work. Yeah, I can do it, but it should not be necessary.

Thanks for the well wishes, however I never owned a Bionic. I was referring to the masses of those who do/did. Yes, there were lots who did have problems and lots who claimed the only solution was to root and ROM, however again as said, there were both a known, and an even larger unrecognized population of those who loved it and never went the way of Rooting or ROMs.

Please don't misunderstand my reason for posting. I am not in the least trying to discredit you or in any way diminish what you suffered...I said the problems you experienced were obviously frustrating, and LINUX admin or not, sometimes the solution(s) can be very difficult to isolate. What I was trying to say is to lump all of a manufacturer's products into one basket and call it rotten fruit is perhaps a bit over the top (no insult intended). There isn't a manufacturer out there in history that hasn't made mistakes, and some have had HUGE blunders...but even those with huge blunders can also be extremely successful and highly innovative. No adventure that is truly forging a new path comes without risk of thorns and sprains.

Again, I truly do wish you the best possible experience with your new S4...it's a great phone. I just assisted an associate at my office who was carrying a flip phone...yes, Motorola, and we got her a S4. She's in her 70s and very technically inept, however she's picking up the phone quickly and is loving it. I am there to help her along, no doubt, but once she leaves the office, she's on her own. She has yet to come in and say "my phone froze", or "I couldn't get this app/screen/tool to work". So as a testament to the phone (and the manufacturer), I truly believe the S4 is a Grand Slam.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not rooted and the Bionic works fine for me and will probably keep it for the rest of the contract. The company I work for pays my Verizon bill so it's used both for work and home.

That being said, if I were to chose a new phone today, I'd also go with the S4. Consumer Reports rates it quite highly.

Last edited:

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had a Motorola first, an HTC second and a Samsung last. I would do an HTC or Samsung again, not a Motorola.

Stinson317

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Well maybe I'll be the one turning the lights off here. Been running the carbon ROM and my bionic rocks. Almost as slappy as when I had my original droid and updating a couple days a week with CM. At this point I'm waiting for the next new thing. S4 is already old. Course I never had the issue that others had. Best of luck to all former bionic owners!

Caesars

Reaction score
I generally loved my maxx, it didn't blow my mind, but it was my first Android phone that worked relativity smooth. Hopefully the start leading the pack and get amazing hardware out soon.

GS4/iPhone5

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with Motorola. I'm going to stretch it here and say imma get the next Motorola phone out. This phone just had a bad release time window. (With the RAZR coming out months after) so of course its not going go have as much support as other phones had. To me, its still an awesome phone. Doesn't lag, i go all day with it (extended battery) and honestly . If Motorola just made this phone the exact same with a bigger battery and screen. I would get it again no doubt.. buuuuut that's just my two cents lol

mattjenn

Reaction score
I love my bionic as well actually just picked up another one off eBay yesterday. I love Motorola I've had og Droid also a Droid pro, Droid X, Droid 4, Xoom, and my wife has had Droid X, and now Razr I've tried Samsung not a fan of build quality I know a lot of people love their software too but I'm not a fan of touchwiz I think its very gimmicky but that's just my opinion

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
I completely agree. The way a lot of other brand phones feel, if I drop one it'll shatter in a million pieces lol, Motorola has outstanding build quality. I have dropped this phone countless times and not even a scratch is on the screen

deduct

Reaction score
I have to agree with you guys. Bionic is a solid well made phone. My launch day bionic lasted until a couple of months ago. It just would not hold a signal anymore. Even after a new sim. But I still paid assurion $100 for a refurbished bionic. I then found a maxx on Craig's and it was a steal so I just had to jump on it. Bionic is now my music/podcast player at work. Its a great phone. I've gone from og droid, to droid 2, to bionic, to maxx. And the wife has a razr. I'm pretty sure my next phone will be the new moto x. I just love motos build quality and I've always been a fan of blur. The important thing Is that you Are happy with whatever phone you have. There are plenty of options for android lovers.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
welcome to Samsung.. the grass is greener on this side