Motorola Droid Update Continues Through Sept 4

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
I still have the FRG22D update sitting on my desk top. I wouldn't wait for an OTA really, this is just a patch. If you do it yourself less chance of something going wrong.

Is there a full FRG22D install like there is for FRG01B?

sent via subspace radio

nateccnn

Reaction score
P3Droid has a version out that is the full FRG22D, I think. It's a big file, I know tyhat. But it is for rooters. But you could always delete the root once installed. It runs super smooth on my phone.

Nate

dwoid

Reaction score
There is also a full install here in DF in metiCkOne's ROM section. metiCkOne's version is a rooted install of the Google FRG22D patch over a fresh full install of the FRG01B OTA file, so it has documented pedigree. Also, metiCkOne is there to support this.

I've run P3's version too, but metiCkOne's version is cleaner and smoother running, plus it is the verified newest of everything. It is available both odexed and deodexed.

If you want rooted FRG22D, I'd recommend metiCkOne's version as the newest and best.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
This is done via SPrecovery, correct?

sent via subspace radio

MinnAcadia

Reaction score
I got the update this morning. Now it forces me to put in a PIN every time I want to use the phone. I assume this is due to the fact that I receive my work e-mail on the Droid. I get why we should use the PIN but I hate it. Is there any way to bypass it? I've tried & even called Verizon. The reps I spoke with seemed to have never heard of this. My previous AT&T phone had it too and it was even more cumbersome than the one on the Droid.

esaslaw

Reaction score
The last update rendered my sirius radio app useless. After editing build.prop got it to work. Received another update today but did not install. Is this update going to screw up more apps?

my sirrius/xm was unaffected by the first froyo update

Detonation

Reaction score
I got the update this morning. Now it forces me to put in a PIN every time I want to use the phone. I assume this is due to the fact that I receive my work e-mail on the Droid. I get why we should use the PIN but I hate it. Is there any way to bypass it? I've tried & even called Verizon. The reps I spoke with seemed to have never heard of this. My previous AT&T phone had it too and it was even more cumbersome than the one on the Droid.

Still waiting on the FRG22D, but for FRG01B there is an option in the settings for a PIN screen lock. Settings > Location and Security > Change Lock Screen

Strangely enough, my Droid has been locking up since I got the first OTA, called about it today and they said there was another update that went out to fix it (assuming FRG22D) and you can get it by taking it into a vzw store. Except no stores near me could do it for some reason, so they are sending me a replacement phone. Here's to hoping its a Droid 2, otherwise I'm just going to tell them I got the update OTA (if its supposed to happen by Sept 4 then I will in fact get it), everything is fixed, and I don't need the refurb anymore :p

Hiker5208

Reaction score
The 22D update just turned on security settings that should have been there all along really. You are right about it being for the work email. It caught me by surprise and I am a PC tech with some exchange experience. I went to the connect the dots pattern rather than the PIN, just seems a bit easier to me. Only the Exchange admin at your work can undo it to the best of my knowledge and I doubt any of them will do it.

badog

Reaction score
It's not really an exchange problem, it's a bug in the 22D update. It doesn't fully understand what the exchange policy is set to. Meaning if the exchange policy is disabled, (or requires a password/pin of 4 digits or less) 22D still forces you to enter 4 digits. The 22D update requires a 4 digit pin/password no matter what. The only time it will make a difference is when the policy is set to more than 4 digits. There are policy settings to force a pin or a password. That will change the phone display to either a number pad or a full keyboard display, but still requires at least 4 digits/characters no matter what...exchange policy enabled or disabled.

I've done extensive testing on our corporate exchange servers (we have over 60,000 users on exchange, so it's not just a home server I hack around on). I have tested this on 2003 and 2010, they both do the same.

yea for updates :)

dwoid

Reaction score
Interesting... I've been running metiCkOne's odexed rooted busyboxed (Google's) FRG22D over (OTA's) FRG01B for the last few days, and have been receiving plenty of emails from my work's Exchange server. Yet I don't have to use either a pin or a password to access my Droid at all.

I have to wonder if there's some difference between Google's FRG22D patch and the actual OTA FRG22D patch...

That or since my Droid is rooted, perhaps there's an internal permission difference.

Access to my Droid has remained the same under this release of FRG22D as it has always been has under 2.0.1 and 2.1, just swipe to get in (unless you specifically turn on security).

It's not really an exchange problem, it's a bug in the 22D update. It doesn't fully understand what the exchange policy is set to. Meaning if the exchange policy is disabled, (or requires a password/pin of 4 digits or less) 22D still forces you to enter 4 digits. The 22D update requires a 4 digit pin/password no matter what. The only time it will make a difference is when the policy is set to more than 4 digits. There are policy settings to force a pin or a password. That will change the phone display to either a number pad or a full keyboard display, but still requires at least 4 digits/characters no matter what...exchange policy enabled or disabled.

I've done extensive testing on our corporate exchange servers (we have over 60,000 users on exchange, so it's not just a home server I hack around on). I have tested this on 2003 and 2010, they both do the same.

yea for updates :)

badog

Reaction score
I think you are right about a difference in updates. I rooted mine (stock) to test it out and it didn't make a difference. I'd say their is definitely a difference between Google's FRG22D patch and the actual OTA FRG22D patch. Receiving mail works fine, it's the password/pin policy that it doesn't understand.

Snoking

Reaction score
I think you are right about a difference in updates. I rooted mine (stock) to test it out and it didn't make a difference. I'd say their is definitely a difference between Google's FRG22D patch and the actual OTA FRG22D patch. Receiving mail works fine, it's the password/pin policy that it doesn't understand.

Are you talking about a difference between the rooted FRG22D and the OTA FRG22D??? As I believe that manual non-rooted FRG22D and the new OTA FRG22D are the same 1.6MB file. Chris