Motorola Droid Update Continues Through Sept 4

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I go the update this morning. Went to the market and D/Led Flash. Flash appears to work on a web page, although it is very slow. (I was on my wifi network, laptop is fast)

There is no icon in my app drawer for Flash. Is that normal?

If I go to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications , I see an icon there.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I go the update this morning. Went to the market and D/Led Flash. Flash appears to work on a web page, although it is very slow. (I was on my wifi network, laptop is fast)

Yes, that is normal. Flash is not an app. It is a plug-in.

Sal

Reaction score

If you download the app "Adobe Showcase," you can test out your new flash plug-in with recommendations for sites optimized for flash.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score

That makes since from the stand point of Flash is a plug-in on a PC browser. But it is in Settings>APPLICATIONS>Manage APPLICATIONS menu on Android hence my confusion.

But the main reason I was asking was I read somewhere on here about changing a Flash setting to only use Flash when you wanted it, to avoid Flash ads sapping band width. I thought I would find that setting in the App in the App drawer.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

That makes since from the stand point of Flash is a plug-in on a PC browser. But it is in Settings>APPLICATIONS>Manage APPLICATIONS menu on Android hence my confusion.

But the main reason I was asking was I read somewhere on here about changing a Flash setting to only use Flash when you wanted it, to avoid Flash ads sapping band width. I thought I would find that setting in the App in the App drawer.

I don't know about that setting, but I will have to look for it. It would be very useful. I think the reason it is in manage apps is so that you can uninstall it if you don't like it.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

You would think so, but I understand it's in the settings of your browser. You change it to "on demand."

I haven't gotten this update yet either. If I don't get it by the 4th, I'll do the update manually. Maybe I will anyway.

Sal

Reaction score

I don't know about that setting, but I will have to look for it. It would be very useful. I think the reason it is in manage apps is so that you can uninstall it if you don't like it.

Browser -- settings-- more -- enable plug-ins -- on demand

TheOldFart

Reaction score

Browser -- settings-- more -- enable plug-ins -- on demand

Thanks. Found it. Actually it is:

Browser -- menu -- more -- settings -- enable plug-ins -- on demand

At least on my Droid.

smolander

Reaction score
Admins will be able to wipe your device remotely theoretically. It also enforces other security like having to use a PIN or pattern to get into your phone each time. I found that out when I did my update. It really is just enabling stuff that really should have been there all along.
I agree. I'm a security professional and have several users using Droids for email sync. With WinMo I am able to wipe the device should the user lose or misplace the phone. Android finally stepped up with the same features. Glad to see the update on my phone this morning.

dwoid

Reaction score
This is interesting... Did everyone who manually updated with the other thread's non-rooted FRG22D (Google site) patch get these same prompts for information?

I didn't, but I'm using the rooted odexed metiCkOne version so it may have been different for me.

There may be a dependancy of whether and what kind of Exchange service you have defined in your setup.

Or, it may mean there's some sort of difference between the actual OTA patch and the one stored on the Google site.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive via OTA or I'd compare them myself.

Just got the update this morning and it is asking me for some pretty serious access from Exchange:

For example: Ability to wipe the device remotely.

What does this mean? Does my company now have access to wipe my device? Do I now have access to wipe my device remotely if I lose it?

If so, how do I access these additional features?

johnnieeve

Reaction score
9-1-2010 around 10:15am, PDT, I received Flash OTA on my Droid. All appears well.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Thanks. Found it. Actually it is:

Browser -- menu -- more -- settings -- enable plug-ins -- on demand

At least on my Droid.

That works. So now I wanted to test my Flash site, a site with a traffic web cam which is Flash. (before Flash I got the blue Lego) Before changing the setting, but after Flash, the Flash top banner loaded, the Flash side banner loaded, and then the traffic cam loaded. Forever long to see the traffic cam.

After changing the setting, the web page comes up with a downward pointing arrow where the traffic cam plays. There are also the same arrows for the top and side banners. I press the web cam arrow, to get the web cam. But I have to wait for the top banner and side banner to load first. Not much of an improvement. But I guess those advertisers are paying for that site