Motorola Droid "Superphone"

alias.in.pdx

Reaction score
check out this prototype pic (pure speculation, of course) from a related thread. i think this would keep both of us happy (and probably many others as well) - a virtual touch keyboard, that isn't another on-screen keyboard. imo, smokin!!!.

Oh man! That is sexy!!!

And, completely off the subject, GO BIG RED!! I'm a Nebraska native... just moved tho. :( Kinda missing all the fun.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Ill have to do some digging but I posted an article about a company moto acquired or is working with that has the cababilities to register touch on any part of the device. So the slide out keyboard could essentially not even be virtual but just a flat design with haptic feedback.

This is obviously pure speculation but the technology is there and moto has it.

If anyone has time search all threads started by me. The article and details are in a thread titled Motorola acquires so and so.

Something like that : )

You people are geniuses when it comes to finding things lol

Ill search as well later today.

**edit: Found it!! http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/21397-motorola-invest-sensitive-object-droid-2-beyond.html

Sent from my Droid

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Ill have to do some digging but I posted an article about a company moto acquired or is working with that has the cababilities to register touch on any part of the device. So the slide out keyboard could essentially not even be virtual but just a flat design with haptic feedback.

Yeesh. I mean yea ok...but I'd rather it be a rendered virtual keyboard because it allows for full customization of everything as I mentioned before. If it's simply an unmodifiable touch sensitive panel then customization is out the window.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
R

RETG

Everyone is saying this is a cool phone, and I agree it is. But...if that is the phone (which I highly doubt) look how thick it will be. If you believe this phone will be released as it is shown, then you have to believe it will be very thick.

Also, what mechanism is allowing the sliding of the parts? Unless they are using some type of wire/plastic coils to the sliding of the top to the bottom, there is not place for the two parts to slide together. If there are no side rails, what keeps the top from springing away from the bottom or vice versa?

I believe (and this is only my opinion) this is a teaser. Similar to futuristic vehicles at a car show. The final phone might be similar, but the final phone will be noticeably different. Again, my opinion is that, if released, it will be similar to a Droid 2 with the faster processor(s) and other internal updates. I could see a touch screen in place of the existing mechanical type Droid 2 keyboard. Time will tell....but could some mechanical engineers please tell me what is keeping the bottom attached to the top when in full open position?

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Could be a type of telescopic slider from the corners of the phone, open the telescope is collapsed and closed it is extended, keeping the slide hidden. This design would make it stronger when open as well as multiple layers of rail would be together reducing play and increasing strength. At least I think it could work like that from a "we can use this design because..." POV when they made this rendering. This likely will not be production design.

EDIT: Hmm, now I'm not so sure, it could be a permanent connection where instead of the side being active it's stationary, meaning groves would have to be exposed in the back of the screen section for the stationary piece to slide in.

Googleaddict

Reaction score
This phone needs to come out soon. I dont feel like waiting until december. If it comes out in november like last year that'll be great.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Hows this for some bad news.

Don't count on anything great in Q4.....

This "Venus" phone is a small Blackberry like device.

The "Tegra" phone is still in the works

No super-phone from Motorola at years end.

Stings doesn't it? : )

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere about that BB-like device. Like I said in that Droid Pro thread, I dont know about some of yall but I'm glad. Now I dont have to be anxious at the end of the year...my upgrade isnt until Apr of next year....lol

Srry, I know its selfish, what can I say...lol

But if its still in the works, I hope that means they didnt rule out the OMAP 4, or have a OMAP 4/Tegra 2 gpu combo happening. I need more info on battery life from Tegra 2 phones, devices.

Googleaddict

Reaction score

Wow really? The biggest shopping season of the year and nothing that good is coming out? Sorry but i kinda have a hard time believing that

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ck, now why you gotta go and p*** in everyone's cheerios?! ;)

i want that superphone, but i was going to have to do an early upgrade to get it... more than anything, though, i want Moto to do it right! if it's going to be a superphone, then make it a superphone. it's not like delayed releases are unheard of around here... LOL!

Darkseider

Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere about that BB-like device. Like I said in that Droid Pro thread, I dont know about some of yall but I'm glad. Now I dont have to be anxious at the end of the year...my upgrade isnt until Apr of next year....lol

Srry, I know its selfish, what can I say...lol

But if its still in the works, I hope that means they didnt rule out the OMAP 4, or have a OMAP 4/Tegra 2 gpu combo happening. I need more info on battery life from Tegra 2 phones, devices.

The Tegra 2 250 SoC is a dual core Cortex A9 with a nVidia GPU. Whereas the OMAP 4xxx would a TI dual core Cortex A9 SoC with either a PowerVR SGX or Mali GPU of some sort. In any case both would have the Cortex A9 cores. The big differences would be the GPU and DSP used in the SoC.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

Wow really? The biggest shopping season of the year and nothing that good is coming out? Sorry but i kinda have a hard time believing that
you will notice I bolded the word "great". Yes devices will be released but they will be nothing tempting to those that are waiting for something GREAT (most of the people on this thread)

Anything short of Dual Core and/or LTE is blowing an upgrade in my opinion.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[you will notice I bolded the word "great". Yes devices will be released but they will be nothing tempting to those that are waiting for something GREAT (most of the people on this thread)

Anything short of Dual Core and/or LTE is blowing an upgrade in my opinion.

now that's droppin some wisdom, right there! +1