Motorola Droid "Superphone"

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Interesting article I came across on Android and Me.

Could the new Moto Droid be the first to ship with Gingerbread (most likely Android 2.5), the first to feature NVIDIA’s dual-core Tegra 2 platform, and the first to offer 1080p video encode/decode. Users should also expect all the high end features found in the Droid X with the addition of a front-facing camera?

The guys at Androidandme think so. This new device has been kept under HEAVY wraps and with little info floating around this seems to be lining up with some of the chatter. Here's the article:

Just like last year, Motorola and Verizon will launch a Droid phone for the holiday shopping season that will be the first device to feature a new version of Android.

Motorola is ultra secretive when it comes to big product launches so I might have a few details that are slightly off, but they have left clues all over the place and I’m just fitting the pieces together using my Android-powered brain and intel I’ve gathered from my growing team of ninjas.

This superphone, which I’m calling the Droid T2, will be the first to ship with Gingerbread (most likely Android 2.5), the first to feature NVIDIA’s dual-core Tegra 2 platform, and the first to offer 1080p video encode/decode. Users should also expect all the high end features found in the Droid X with the addition of a front-facing camera.

Some of you may remember that Motorola Co-CEO Sanjay Jha boasted about delivering a 2 GHz phone in time for Christmas, but we recently discovered that was a slip of the tongue and he was actually referring to the two cores (clocked at 1 GHz each) found inside the Tegra 2 platform.

We also know that Motorola and NVIDIA are feverishly working on the next Android kernel. At first I thought this was for a tablet project, but we now know that the real Android tablets (those with Honeycomb) will not appear till 2011.

Google traditionally targets a specific product launch for new releases of Android because it is easier to develop for a single device (then they release the source code so other hardware partners can port it to their devices). Verizon is the largest U.S. carrier and Motorola knows how to execute a big launch, so Google has chosen them to deliver Gingerbread to the masses.

Little is known about Gingerbread at this point, but we expect it will feature a refined user interface and some of the features we saw demonstrated at Google I/O such as Google Music and the online Android Market. Other possible additions could be the rumored services like Google Games and Google Me.

Overall, I think Gingerbread will be a minor update (although still exciting) and this is why it will be branded Android 2.5, while Android 3.0 is being reserved for the full tablet experience coming next year.

Other than Motorola, we only know that LG is planning a Tegra 2 smartphone, but I don’t think they will deliver it this year. HTC was also rumored to be going dual-core with the myTouch HD, but it’s looking more and more like that was a typo and it will feature the same 2nd-gen Snapdragon found in the Desire HD.

If you want the best dual-core smartphone with the latest version of Android, then keep an eye on Motorola. They have a press event scheduled for October 5th at CTIA, but that is likely too soon to announce their Tegra 2 phone. It is more likely we will hear solid info around mid-November.

Does it sound a little far fetched or do you believe Sanjay Jha and Motorola will deliver the premier Android experience this Christmas?

Source: Android and Me

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Other than Motorola, we only know that LG is planning a Tegra 2 smartphone, but I don’t think they will deliver it this year.

This perked my interest more than anything in that information, I didn't know LG was planning a huge phone. Moto has great hardware and all as they've demonstrated as of late, but LG can deliver more refined camera's on their phones it seems. (e.g. LG Dare, which blowed my droid away, and that's just freakin' pathetic) Moto's camera's seem to be a joke in most conditions other than outside and sunny. Hopefully LG will push other manufactures to better refine their chosen camera technology. This more than anything right now is important to me, 1ghz 4 ghz 60gb of memory, meh...but a fantastic camera with intuitive software? That's what I crave. :)

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Saw that this morning, was wondering when I'd hear about it on here. I really hope it's true. Maybe we'll have some insiders comment on it soon.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

superglen99

Reaction score
ooh I really really hope these things ring true! I have my 1 year upgrade in novamber!1 (I'm the primary line in my account so get yearly upgrades)

TheGr838

Reaction score
well, if the Droid X and Droid 2 locked bootloaders are an indication of where Moto's "heart" is, then i will no longer purchase motorola phones until their stance of locking/encrypting their devices changes. Android is supposed to be open source, and it is night and day modding my OG Droid compared to modding my Droid X. They can keep their phones. For a good analogy, what good is it to buy a Ferrari but you are only allowed to drive no faster than 30mph because the engine has been tamper-proof governed? they can keep their supposed superphone. HTC Scorpion here i come....

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
well, if the Droid X and Droid 2 locked bootloaders are an indication of where Moto's "heart" is, then i will no longer purchase motorola phones until their stance of locking/encrypting their devices changes. Android is supposed to be open source, and it is night and day modding my OG Droid compared to modding my Droid X. They can keep their phones. For a good analogy, what good is it to buy a Ferrari but you are only allowed to drive no faster than 30mph because the engine has been tamper-proof governed? they can keep their supposed superphone. HTC Scorpion here i come....

Yea I forgot to mention this, well said. I want my own themes Moto.

noo_too_droid

Reaction score
most interesting thread ive read on this site in a looooooooong time something new is finally happening in android world (hopefully)

kook

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
This is why I have been saving my upgrade. The holidays are always the best time to get new toys.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Who's willing to take the risk on the first device with GB?

The way they're phasing out devices, no way I'm going to.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Other than Motorola, we only know that LG is planning a Tegra 2 smartphone, but I don’t think they will deliver it this year.

This perked my interest more than anything in that information, I didn't know LG was planning a huge phone. Moto has great hardware and all as they've demonstrated as of late, but LG can deliver more refined camera's on their phones it seems. (e.g. LG Dare, which blowed my droid away, and that's just freakin' pathetic) Moto's camera's seem to be a joke in most conditions other than outside and sunny. Hopefully LG will push other manufactures to better refine their chosen camera technology.
The lense is what is so much better on the Dare and enV touch. They can make a 100mp camera but with a dollar store lense and sensor attached its ok at best. My Dare takes better pictures than my Incredible and Omnia

wified from my Incredible monolith using SlideIT on Tapatalk

noo_too_droid

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
LG can deliver more refined camera's on their phones it seems. (e.g. LG Dare, which blowed my droid away, and that's just freakin' pathetic) Moto's camera's seem to be a joke in most conditions other than outside and sunny. Hopefully LG will push other manufactures to better refine their chosen camera technology. This more than anything right now is important to me, 1ghz 4 ghz 60gb of memory, meh...but a fantastic camera with intuitive software? That's what I crave. :)[/QUOTE]
sounds like a smart phone is a waste of your money. get a cheap phone and an amazing camera if thats really all you care about

Hugh Jass

Reaction score

This perked my interest more than anything in that information, I didn't know LG was planning a huge phone. Moto has great hardware and all as they've demonstrated as of late, but LG can deliver more refined camera's on their phones it seems. (e.g. LG Dare, which blowed my droid away, and that's just freakin' pathetic) Moto's camera's seem to be a joke in most conditions other than outside and sunny. Hopefully LG will push other manufactures to better refine their chosen camera technology.
The lense is what is so much better on the Dare and enV touch. They can make a 100mp camera but with a dollar store lense and sensor attached its ok at best. My Dare takes better pictures than my Incredible and Omnia

wified from my Incredible monolith using SlideIT on Tapatalk

Yea but I just can't for the life of me figure out why they're pulling out all the stops in every other category except camera, battery technology, and graphics (though graphics is catching up...slowly), if someone produced a phone and marketed the fact that it had an epic camera they'd gain a HUGE calling of people in markets they probably never had. Why wouldn't they AT THE VERY LEAST take advantage of technology that exists in a dumb phone YEARS ago and implement it into their top of the line smart phone of tomorrow?

It's just mindboggling to me...It's like buying a piece of art with the corner torn off. Don't know about you all but I want the entire picture, please.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
sounds like a smart phone is a waste of your money. get a cheap phone and an amazing camera if thats really all you care about

No it's not all I care about, if it was I'd get another LG Dare. It's just that everything else just about is right where it needs to be for a smartphone. But as stated above it doesn't make sense to go backward with technology. I want to carry one device, who doesn't? They're so close to being there but 3 things (or so) stop them from taking the cake for an all in one device. Graphic capability, battery technology, and a decent camera.

Really...it's not all that much to ask for in 2010 for near future tech. This is comparable to buying a new 2011 lariat truck and it not coming with power windows... it just doesn't make sense.