Motorola Droid 2 Keyboard First Pics

Mamaperk

Reaction score
Don't mean to nit pick but am I the only one who is a little bummed that they still haven't found a way to include a dedicated row of number keys?

You ate not the only one! I came from an LG enV Touch and still miss that keyboard.
Sherry
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

etx_droid

Reaction score
I may be in the minority, but I use the physical keyboard much more than the on-screen and have no huge complaints about it. It did take a couple of months to get use to the physical keyboard however. I love that the dpad is gone.

stmomma

Reaction score
I really like the physical keyboard and being a woman with smallish hands made the dpad a nuisance. Glad to see it go.

Flowah

Reaction score
I have no problems typing, even with the d-pad. And I agree that the physical keyboard is a defining characteristic of the Droid. Few high end smartphones have a slider. Keyboards have usually been found on Blackberries and a few low-mid range social networking phones like the Devour or Backflip or Sidekick. These high-end smartphones with keyboards are a rarity and should be cherished!

Can't wait for Droid2!

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
After finally getting accustomed to the touch screen keyboard, I now wish that my Droid had no keyboard at all. It is worse than useless.

The keyboard on my Voyager was good. This one sucks. 5 year old tech beats new tech.

While I don't mind the keyboard I only use it if I need to be really precise.

I agree about the Voyager's keyboard being superior. I just can't get used to the numbers not having separate buttons.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
dude without the keyboard it wouldnt be an iPhone killer...if u dont like the droid keyboard u should of just gone with another android device like the eris or incredible

I disagree... The Droid is still awesome even though I don't use the keyboard to often. The Eris sucks and the Incredible wasn't out yet when I got my phone. I love the Droid.. your point is not valid...
come on dude remember the first droid commercial when it said "i dont have a physical keyboard (meaning iphone)...then it said DROID DOES

Sorry to tell you this but in a CNet Prizefight the Motorola Droid didn't beat the iPhone. In a CNet Prizefight the Incredible beat the iPhone. To say that the Droid without a keyboard wouldn't be an iPhone killer is completely untrue. The fact the commercial for the Droid said something about a keyboard doesn't mean it has to have one to beat the iPhone lol. It was a simple marketing technique to display features of the phone that the iPhone did not have. Dont get me wrong here i love the Motorola Droid (used to own one) and it is a nice phone, i also love my HTC Incredible. This was simply to state that it does not need a keyboard to be an iPhone killer.

StepDroid

Official DF Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
It SUCKS they took the DPAD ofF... no thanks i will keep my Droid one. And for those who do not use their keyboards it does not mean that it is a dumb idea or its bad that droid has one. They make plenty of keyboardless Android phones... get one of those. The ones who complain about the keyboard don't really use it anyway.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
It SUCKS they took the DPAD ofF... no thanks i will keep my Droid one. And for those who do not use their keyboards it does not mean that it is a dumb idea or its bad that droid has one. They make plenty of keyboardless Android phones... get one of those. The ones who complain about the keyboard don't really use it anyway.

i was hoping for a 6way d-pad, or some sort of joystick... having neither is kinda lame... but i guess that's asking for too much, it's a phone, not a gaming device after all

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
After finally getting accustomed to the touch screen keyboard, I now wish that my Droid had no keyboard at all. It is worse than useless.

The keyboard on my Voyager was good. This one sucks. 5 year old tech beats new tech.

Lol, I also came from LG Voyager, and that keyboard was just great... the moto droids keyboard made my fingers feel like tree trunks and I am probably two times slower typing now with the Moto Droid... alas, I find it a small price to pay to upgrade to a smartphone

thatguychuck

Reaction score
It's interesting, but that's about it. I got used to the Droid keyboard pretty quick, and from the looks of it, I could like the newer one as well. But that being said, I'm happy with what I have. There would have to be quite a bit more to get me to switch, even when my upgrade comes up. Bring on the hardware specs!!!

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I disagree... The Droid is still awesome even though I don't use the keyboard to often. The Eris sucks and the Incredible wasn't out yet when I got my phone. I love the Droid.. your point is not valid...
come on dude remember the first droid commercial when it said "i dont have a physical keyboard (meaning iphone)...then it said DROID DOES

Sorry to tell you this but in a CNet Prizefight the Motorola Droid didn't beat the iPhone. In a CNet Prizefight the Incredible beat the iPhone. To say that the Droid without a keyboard wouldn't be an iPhone killer is completely untrue. The fact the commercial for the Droid said something about a keyboard doesn't mean it has to have one to beat the iPhone lol. It was a simple marketing technique to display features of the phone that the iPhone did not have. Dont get me wrong here i love the Motorola Droid (used to own one) and it is a nice phone, i also love my HTC Incredible. This was simply to state that it does not need a keyboard to be an iPhone killer.
well alot of ppl that reviewed these phones had different OPINIONS..so i guess its all in wether how much u like it or not ..nothing is FACT

Reaction score
according to engadget, and you can tell from they keyboard shot, the Droid 2 will be chrome-colored

I hope there is a flat black option! If I wanted a pimp phone, I'd put a chrome cover on my Droid. A chrome finish would preclude carrying it in the excellent Motorola belt clip.

The new keys look great and, while I do not like the size of the gold thing, it does make playing Asteroids almost perfect.

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
Dedicated numeric row

Don't mean to nit pick but am I the only one who is a little bummed that they still haven't found a way to include a dedicated row of number keys?
Nope, not at all! I wish the keyboard was a lot like the one on Tmobile's G1. I hate the Droid's keyboard and rarely ever use it.

victorythagr8

Reaction score

You do realize the prize fight was before 2.1 hit the droid. it lost points with the lack of multi-touch for christ sake.

bill d.

Reaction score
I may be in the minority, but I use the physical keyboard much more than the on-screen and have no huge complaints about it. It did take a couple of months to get use to the physical keyboard however. I love that the dpad is gone.

agreed. I thought I'd never use it (considering I've been using nothing but touch screen phones for the last 4 years), but I like the physical keyboard. its also much easier to use after a few beers or no sleep. And with all the playoff hockey I've been watching, well, lets just say I've gotten used to using it.

plus, I'd take a useless physical keyboard over having to deal with Sense UI again.............