Reaction score
My phone info...

Purchased: In September of 2010
Cell: Motorola Droid 2 with slide-out keyboard
System Version: 2.3.20.A955.Verizon.en.US
Model Number: Droid2
Android Version: 2.2
Baseband Version: BP_C_01.09.07P
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9-g462500f (left out bottom part)
Build Number: VZW
ERI Version: 5
PRL Version: 52031

I made a thread asking for rooting help and didn't receive any for the last couple days and now I need to unroot my Droid because it is not going well for it. I want to start over with the phone before it gets bricked or creates more problems with it. Basically I want to get the phone back to stock, without losing contact info and that important stuff. I don't mind losing all the apps, even paid ones. Just want to get back to factory stock and get my phone unrooted so that way I can start the process over again and root it properly with a proper up-to-date instruction or rooting app that is compatible with my Droid 2 and Android version phone.

I did the rooting instruction from this link:

How to: Root Motorola DROID Running Android 2.2 FRG22D - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Didn't have too much problems with it but that instruction is a very raw way to root the phone with no instruction to unrooting it. I see apps out there that allow you to root with 1 button and even unroot it with 1 button. I also wanted to root it properly and use the same parts from same dev or whomever to install kernel and ROM and overclock. I cannot do it from this raw instruction with little help.

Can anyone help me go back to factory stock and such and start brand new please?

OP
TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Ok, I will give that a try right now. I see your thread of lessons also include how to root your phone? Will the rooting lesson work for my kind of Droid 2 phone? I also would like to ask what all will I need once rooting is done? I hear I've got to have a lot like ROM, bootstrap, busybox, kernel, and other stuff.

Oh and... what is the difference between SBF system file only and FULL SBF file? Do I just get the regular system file only? I'll do this in the morning instead when this question is answered so I don't screw up. One more thing, how do you reboot into recovery?

Last edited:

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Very nice job on posting your question! However I think have also learned by now that when you read a forum/guide pertaining to the "Motorola Droid" you still have to decipher whether it applies to your Motorola Droid which is why you started having problems. Your phone's exact model is (probably) the A955 (unless it's the Droid 2 global) and the guide you originally followed was ONLY meant for the A855. It does mention that is is taken from a similar method for the D2 and DX, but modified for the D!. And these things mean ALOT once we decide to take the plunge and void our warranties, lol. And for the very reason, I wish that Motorola had NEVER thought to buy a license from LucasFilms to be able to use the word "Droid" in their phone model line, because now they have to beat it to death; good for them, bad for the hackers.

Anyways, I think pc747 has you off to a good start, and there is also a very good Droid 2 section here.

good luck

p.s. here is the method posted here for rooting the A955/Droid2, though you have to really read it:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...-phones-root-them-unroot-them.html#post823391

Last edited:
OP
TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Alright, so after pc747's help I've learned everything there is to unrooting, returning back to stock, even PURPOSELY bricked my phone just to do practice runs twice.

Right now I'm testing different bootstraps, ROMs, kernels and such. This is easier than what I thought. If only people would just read through different threads and learn about different roots, reroot, unroot, SBFs, bricking, unbricking, ROMs, kernels, different apps, pros and cons, sift through comments and sort out comments that could be related to your phone, thoroughly think about the possibilities that may arise with your phone, patches, what works and what doesn't, FCing, and the list goes on. Then we would probably have less people asking questions about this and that not working and what does work and doesn't work.

I've learned quite a bit from reading about all these stuff and looking at comments and making decisions, doing test runs and such.

Edit: teddyearp, I checked to see if the SBF was compatible for my phone before using the RSDLite and SBF to fix my phone. Everything is good. I wouldn't apply something to my phone if 1 letter wasn't the same as my phone model, brand and such. I know there are different versions out there and you are correct that one must decipher and decode your brand and version to understand if it is the same as another SBF or patch and such. That's why I thoroughly check everything to make sure it is ok and do practice runs with everything backed up.

Last edited:

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
If only people would just read through different threads and learn about different roots, reroot, unroot, SBFs, bricking, unbricking, ROMs, kernels, different apps, pros and cons, sift through comments and sort out comments that could be related to your phone,<snip>

I had a line in my sig, "read more, post less" the above of which is the fuller version of it . . .

good job!