Moto Droid Supposedly Getting Froyo on 7/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
B

brando56894

Reaction score
Im surprised that I was the first one to post this lol

Never in my life of consuming electronics have I been so pathetically excited for a software update of any kind.

I totally agree with you and Ive been messing with computers for about 15 years lol

My question is when Froyo OTA comes out will you have to wipe your Cache? I have a lot of stuff setup on my 2.1 that I would like to keep and not have to spend all the time setting it back up. Will you be able to go from 2.1 to 2.2 without wiping Cache?

You mean data, not cache. cache is temporary quick access "scrap" space. as for wiping I dont think it does but then again ive never done an official update.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The official update shouldn't require you to do anything other then press the accept button. Does that mean it will go smoothly for everyone? No, some people will have issues and those that do should take it to their Verizon store.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I plan upon using the Hotspot, occasionally. More juice will be used. A better battery would really help. I've tweeked as many energy saving apps as possible. Any word on battery upgrades for the Droid?

So far there have been two upgrades. Both specifically said improved battery. I did not notice any difference.

As we get closer to this Verizon will release a list of features showing what Froyo will do. I'm running it overclocked and I feel that battery life is better on 2.2 then it was on 2.1.

But no matter what kind of battery improvement they may or may not make don't expect it to suddenly last your for days at a time. Come to terms with the fact that smart phones eat batteries. I have spare batteries and chargers for this purpose and they are relatively inexpensive.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
I hope it is 7/13.
I didn't have trouble with the 2.1 OTA, but I'm going to back my SD card contents up to PC anyway.

Sent from my Droid using TARDIStalk

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They said end of month - 7/13 is wishful thinking.

Who are they?

I heard originally that the Droid would get 2.2 before the Droid X. Since the Droid X is coming out on 7/15 the 7/13 date is possible.

The last time when a rumored date came through the updates started leaking a good 7 days before the actual rumored date. Now I can't be certain but if it follows that pattern updating might start as early as within the next few days.

Or it could be delayed like 2.1 was, though I kind of doubt that's going to happen with this one.

mikezq8ss

Reaction score

mikezq8ss

Reaction score
Oops, they were talking about when the Droid X will get 2.2... my bad. Still pretty cool to see the forum I lurk on get press credit though lol

alm0614

Reaction score
what determines if they go up a decimal or a whole digit, like it went 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.1, 2.2,...

Kermit

Reaction score
Tennessee but my heart is on the west coast
Oh Gezzzzzzz.... I have not got my phone YET I was/am thinking about getting the basic Droid. (You call it Moto-Droid I think?)

What should do? Should I wait or go for it this week... This will be my very first smart phone.

The one thing I am looking is tethering to my laptop because we travel in a Motor Home.....

Thanks for your time

captclueless

Reaction score
Any word on if we will get more home screens with 2.2?

also, if I updated to 2.1 manually (I am not rooted) will I still be able to do the 2.2 update OTA?

Abadus

Reaction score
Any word on if we will get more home screens with 2.2?

also, if I updated to 2.1 manually (I am not rooted) will I still be able to do the 2.2 update OTA?

Look in the market for launcherPro or ADW or Helixluancher. They are all great and give you up to 7 screens.

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I gotta say I will be staying on cm508 until they have cm6 out. froyo builds kill my battery life.

bbtkd

Reaction score
what determines if they go up a decimal or a whole digit, like it went 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.1, 2.2,...

It's up to the developers to decide if a release constitutes a major release or minor release. The larger numeric increases typically infer more changes. A release to patch a few issues might only lead to an increase from 2.0 to 2.0.1, while a more major release might take you from 2.1 to 2.2, and a complete overhaul could be cause to jump to 3.0. Sometimes they go to a major point release purely for marketing reasons - perhaps to stir up interest. I don't believe Google has ever publicly documented their policy on release numbers.

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
Oh Gezzzzzzz.... I have not got my phone YET I was/am thinking about getting the basic Droid. (You call it Moto-Droid I think?)

What should do? Should I wait or go for it this week... This will be my very first smart phone.

The one thing I am looking is tethering to my laptop because we travel in a Motor Home.....

Thanks for your time
you definitely have a bit more options than I had when I got my droid. It was between the droid and droid eris back then(since I was only going for verizon) but I realized having a real keyboard in addition to a touch one was a good idea. as far as that go a lot of people dont like the physical keyboard cuz its kinda tight but I got use to it quickly. make sure you get hands on time with the phones first. assuming whether or not you have verizon, idk u can wait for the droid 2 to come out and see how it compares or u can go with the other touch screen-only phones. something better will ALWAYS come out after no matter when we buy anything..so, yea

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Greko

Reaction score
Thanks Hookbill

I appreciate the honest feedback on battery life/charging/getting used to a new device. Still, these smartphones call out for better power choices, as one grows to depend upon them and their capabilities expand.

Status
Not open for further replies.