modified themes NOT applying >> reverts to default

morethansamson

Reaction score
I have successfully modified themes before, but for some reason, as of 1.3.11.0 and including 1.3.18.0, I cannot get new modifications to apply.

Here is a step by step of what I do to modify a theme.
1. Download mtz file from website.
2. Unzip mtz file using 7zip (9.20).
3. Find and replace png files.
4. Zip the entire theme using 7zip with the following settings:
a. Archive format: zip
b. Compression level: Store
c. Number of CPU threads: 2/2
5. Once the theme is zipped, I change the file extension to mtz.
6. I then copy the mtz file into the sdcard\MIUI\themes folder.
7. I use the MIUI File Explorer/Management app to travel to the mtz file on the sdcard.
8. Once I select the mtz file, the Theme Manager is brought up.

This is where the problem starts.

9. The preview images are not displayed, just a default “Preview unavailable” image.
10. When I select the Apply button, the phone goes through the process of applying the theme, however upon the reboot that takes place after the theme application process, the phone reverts to the default theme associated with the MIUI version.

Here’s what’s really driving me nuts, I can apply the theme I modified back on 3/10/11 (when MIUI 1.3.5.0 was installed on my phone) onto the MIUI 1.3.18.0 release, and everything applies just fine. Because the lockscreen is different on 1.3.18.0, the png files I used for the slider conflict with the placement and font color of the clock, phone, and sms icons. All I wanted to do was go back into the framework folder in my modified theme and delete the png files associated with the slider so that I can use the default slider that comes with MIUI 1.3.18.0. It seems pretty easy and straight forward to me, but when I try to do so I encounter the above error.

To make matters more confusing…

I wiped all using RZ Recovery and then restored my nandroid backup of 1.3.5.0. I then added a copy of an mtz file (I already edited previously) with some new adjustments using the steps above, and now I am getting the same error. So it can’t be the MIUI versions that is causing the problem, it has to be something I’m not doing right.
My only thought is that I am missing a step somewhere, and searching the forums hasn’t produced a solution.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Alright try this when you go in a mtz file with 7zip and replace your images, dont rezip the into a zip file. I have never done that an i have changed countless number of images an never had a problem! Whatever file the image is in say (mms/res/drawable-hdpi) drag the drawable-hdpi to you desktop, it will make a copy on your desktop (NOW) replace the images (NOW) click an highlight then delete the original copy of the drawable-hdpi still open in 7zip (NOW) drag the drawable-hdpi file copy you changed into the open 7zip an it will copy that file where the original copy was (NOW) close 7zip take you MTZ file you started with copy to SD/miui you know the rest hope this helps cause like i said NEVER had a problem this way.

PS. Not tryin to talk to you like your a newbie just trying to give fine details ;)

Also, i have tried myself to get the original lockscreen icons back with no success if i delete the new LS .9's it just bootloops its like the new LS is tied to the build runnin right WEIRD!! i have since reverted back to 3.11

Last edited:
OP
morethansamson

morethansamson

Reaction score
The Kid Cassidy – thank you for this advice. I was successfully able to make the modifications to my theme using your directions. These are flawless instructions.

Last edited:
OP
morethansamson

morethansamson

Reaction score
Oops, that's what I get for not reading carefully. I humbly withdraw my mistake.

Also, I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning, but I was able to edit the lockscreen's slider on 1.3.18.0 by editing only the sliding_panel_bg.png and the sliding_panel_bg_pressed.png... no .9.png's needed!

Screenshots below: