Milestone 3G 850/1900 question

lexcyn

Reaction score
Hey if there will be a non-contract option, it will be unlocked. Right?

Yeah, you should receive the update before South America too. Motorola is a prejudiced company.

No. Even if you purchase a phone outright here, it will still be locked to whatever provider you purchased it from.

Some providers will let you purchase an unlock code once you have been with them for a certain number of months (eg: 3 or 6 months).

shatteredzman

Reaction score

Yeah, you should receive the update before South America too. Motorola is a prejudiced company.

No. Even if you purchase a phone outright here, it will still be locked to whatever provider you purchased it from.

Some providers will let you purchase an unlock code once you have been with them for a certain number of months (eg: 3 or 6 months).

Actually it depends on where you get the phone. Most online retailers sell the phone unlocked without a contract. If you buy it from a carrier you can pay the no contract price but it will still be unlocked and you will have to pay someone to provide you the unlock code(google for a website).

lexcyn

Reaction score

Actually it depends on where you get the phone. Most online retailers sell the phone unlocked without a contract. If you buy it from a carrier you can pay the no contract price but it will still be unlocked and you will have to pay someone to provide you the unlock code(google for a website).

Most on-line retailers outside of Canada, yes.

If you purchase any phone from an authorized dealer here, the phone WILL be locked. Even if you purchase it via their on-line store.

That said, you CAN find the unlock codes for MOST phones. I've seen some, like the Milestone in Argentina for example, block the input of unlock codes, so it will remain to be seen what the model released here will be like.

shatteredzman

Reaction score

If you purchase any phone from an authorized dealer here, the phone WILL be locked. Even if you purchase it via their on-line store.

That said, you CAN find the unlock codes for MOST phones. I've seen some, like the Milestone in Argentina for example, block the input of unlock codes, so it will remain to be seen what the model released here will be like.

I just bought a Brazilian milestone and it was listed as unlocked. The box says vivo but the picture of the phone says its working with TIM. Where did you read this? I would like to know in case there is something I need to know.

But to continue the conversation it depends on what website you buy it from. If you buy the phone from the carriers website it will be locked, but there are lots of websites that will sell the phone unlocked. Ebay is a good place to buy unlocked phones.

DAGr8

Reaction score
The Milestone is going to be released here in Canada most likely next month, with the same frequencies needed to run on AT&T in the US (3G & also EDGE).

Pricing (for now) seems to be $549 CAD for no-contract option. It is being released with Telus, so it will need to be unlocked somehow.

I just bought a Brazilian milestone and it was listed as unlocked. The box says vivo but the picture of the phone says its working with TIM. Where did you read this? I would like to know in case there is something I need to know.

But to continue the conversation it depends on what website you buy it from. If you buy the phone from the carriers website it will be locked, but there are lots of websites that will sell the phone unlocked. Ebay is a good place to buy unlocked phones.

I doubt it will be next month , Moto will most probably wait for 2.1 before they launch there first NAM version of the stone , also dont forget that prise is + 15 % taxes witch raises the price over 600 ( easily ) unlock codes can be bought straight from the retailer ( for lots of $$$ so you better off paying 20 $ on eBay I did so manytimes for many phones ) Knowing Telus phone will most likely be f/w branded AND stickers/engrave on the Phone itself too ( or maybe not )

OP
H

HappyBallz

Reaction score
Eww i hope they would not put any kind of markings on the phone.
Man this is just becoming way too stupid, I do not understand why cant motorola just relase it in US... its not like they are going to steal the thunder from Verizo which is totally different service.

landroid

Reaction score
hey i flashed a brazilian vivo sbf and i dont have 850 3g
:icon_eek:

blackviper

Reaction score
If someone can give me the Canadian or Ontario SBF File to see if i can access my 3G would be greatly appreicated thanks :)

webvan

Reaction score
Any update on this? I'm in the USA and I just bought an unlocked Milestone from Amazon USA and it hadn't occurred to me it wouldn't do 3G in the USA!

I'm seeing that the TELUS v2.1 ROM can be downloaded would flashing that ROM on a Euro problem fix the problem? Then flashing back to a Euro ROM for use in Europe since there doesn't appear to be a Milestone that works on 3G networks in NA and Europe.

WirelessGuy

Reaction score
Any update on this? I'm in the USA and I just bought an unlocked Milestone from Amazon USA and it hadn't occurred to me it wouldn't do 3G in the USA!

I'm seeing that the TELUS v2.1 ROM can be downloaded would flashing that ROM on a Euro problem fix the problem? Then flashing back to a Euro ROM for use in Europe since there doesn't appear to be a Milestone that works on 3G networks in NA and Europe.
If you have a European Milestone you will NOT get 3G in the US, the hardware is different.

Under you battery is the data tag. Look for the FCC ID, the last digits tell the tale:

If your FCC ID is:

IHDP56KC1 = CDMA "DROID" (Verizon)
IHDP56KC2 = GSM (Quad-Band GSM (850/900/1800/1900) & Dual-Band Euro 3G (900/2100))
IHDP56KC5 = GSM (Quad-Band GSM (850/900/1800/1900) & Tri-Band North American 3G UMTS (850/1900/2100))