Model Name - A853, A855 or something else?

holysin

Reaction score
Hi there.
I live in Brazil and bought a Brazillian Milestone. After installing the motorola tools I found out my Milestone's model name is A853 (an Icon showed up on my desktop that says A853 Milestone, and that's also the model on the Brazillian website).
Now I'm wondering what's the European model. I know the Droid is A855, so is there an A854?

I ask this because I'm worried about updates. Motorola is obviously the Droid, since it got the 2.0.1 update a while ago. Maybe it's because the Droid has sold more than the Milestone, maybe it's because Verizon is pressing them harder them anyone else. It doesn't matter.
The 2.0.1 is said to be coming soon for the Milestone. But my fear is this: If the Brazillian milestone is different than the European, it's possible that the European update won't be compatible with my Milestone. Therefore it'd take even longer for me to get an update.
If that happens, it'll probably happen with everything else: The 2.1 update and further updates.
Also, if they're different, that mean the Brazillian Milestone would have to be rooted separately from the European one. For a platform that's supposed to be easily rooted, it sure is taking a long time for it to happen. And this sucks a lot to me, since the Android Market that I can access only contains free apps, and Market Enabler is only usable on a rooted device.

There is one evidence that points to them being different: Moto's website claims the Brazillian Milestone is a quad band GSM (850/900/1800/1900) and tri band 3g: (850/1900/210), while the European has 900 3g instead of the 850.
I have yet to confirm this, since my service provider uses the 850 3g band in my city, but I haven't seen the 3g icon yet. I don't have a data plan yet, so I'm always on wifi (APNDroid), but my old N95-3 did connect through 3g (it supports 850).

Last edited:

pb8185

Reaction score
I highly doubt there's an a854 milestone somewhere... but you do have a point, because milestones sold in different areas can have different 3G frequencies

trhuseby

Reaction score
Hi there.
I live in Brazil and bought a Brazillian Milestone. After installing the motorola tools I found out my Milestone's model name is A853 (an Icon showed up on my desktop that says A853 Milestone, and that's also the model on the Brazillian website).
Now I'm wondering what's the European model. I know the Droid is A855, so is there an A854?

I ask this because I'm worried about updates. Motorola is obviously the Droid, since it got the 2.0.1 update a while ago. Maybe it's because the Droid has sold more than the Milestone, maybe it's because Verizon is pressing them harder them anyone else. It doesn't matter.
The 2.0.1 is said to be coming soon for the Milestone. But my fear is this: If the Brazillian milestone is different than the European, it's possible that the European update won't be compatible with my Milestone. Therefore it'd take even longer for me to get an update.
If that happens, it'll probably happen with everything else: The 2.1 update and further updates.
Also, if they're different, that mean the Brazillian Milestone would have to be rooted separately from the European one. For a platform that's supposed to be easily rooted, it sure is taking a long time for it to happen. And this sucks a lot to me, since the Android Market that I can access only contains free apps, and Market Enabler is only usable on a rooted device.

There is one evidence that points to them being different: Moto's website claims the Brazillian Milestone is a quad band GSM (850/900/1800/1900) and tri band 3g: (850/1900/210), while the European has 900 3g instead of the 850.
I have yet to confirm this, since my service provider uses the 850 3g band in my city, but I haven't seen the 3g icon yet. I don't have a data plan yet, so I'm always on wifi (APNDroid), but my old N95-3 did connect through 3g (it supports 850).

Any update on this? I'm about ready to purchase an A853 on EBAY and want to make sure it works on AT&T 3G here in Austin TX.

mob_ent

Reaction score
i'm trying to purchase this device, i'm in the united states right now. do you recommend this for me. i'm currently with at&t. i went to the brazil site to try to purchase it. how much is it in U.S. dollars? your help would be apprciated

NotThatGuy

Reaction score
Found via google so sorry for the bump..

A854 is the non droid CDMA US version of the milestone.

mohitrocks

Reaction score
How do you check? I have a Telus Milestone, and my phone wasnt working correctly so I flashed a 2.1 telus sbf a853 but im not sure. Is there any way to check?

WirelessGuy

Reaction score
How do you check? I have a Telus Milestone, and my phone wasnt working correctly so I flashed a 2.1 telus sbf a853 but im not sure. Is there any way to check?

ALL Milestones (GSM) are A853 models, ALL DROID's (CDMA) are A855 models.

There is 2 different Milestones available:

Under you battery is the data tag. Look for the FCC ID, the last digits tell the tale:

FCC ID: IHDP56KC5 = Quad-Band GSM (850/900/1800/1900) and Tri-Band 3G (850/1900/2100) North American frequencies

FCC ID: IHDP56KC2 = Quad-Band GSM (850/900/1800/1900) and Dual-Band 3G (900/2100) European frequencies

Telus Milestone (A853 - FCC ID: IHDP56KC5), WILL work on AT&T, it WILL have 3G and HSDPA (3.5G), it also can access ALL market apps.

When you get a Milestone and plan to use it on AT&T, make sure if has the FCC ID: IHDP56KC5 which is Quad-Band GSM (850/900/1800/1900) and Tri-Band 3G (850/1900/2100) North American frequencies. I would suggest unlocking it when you are in range of the AT&T Network. Mine was unlocked while within the AT&T network and all the APN data and such was set automatically, data worked immediately after it was unlocked.

Last edited:

NotThatGuy

Reaction score
Ok, don't take my word for it :)

I'm not saying it's actually different hardware... just that motorola has it labeled differently. I'll get the FCC id when it gets here.

I've seen the A854 milestone referenced on the motorola forums as being sold in mexico as well. :)

msmith198025

Reaction score
Notguy is correct. The A854 Milestone is sold by cell south (and is CDMA), and in mexico as well from what I have read. The cell south version has the unlocked bootloader, not sure about the mexican variant.

The only reason it is called the Milestone is Verizon has the rights to the Droid name for use on their phones only.

NotThatGuy

Reaction score
FCC Id IHDP56KC1

*edit* We may have one more slight difference... Top half of the Otterbox case for the droid doesn't fit correctly. The slots on the back of the screen are moved slightly. (and yes.. I have it turned the correct way :) )

Last edited:

Navalynt

Reaction score
Yes, I can confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Milestone A854 IS the same hardware as Verizon's Droid A855 but the model number is changed to differentiate the models since Verizon has the baseband locked down to their own data settings and the A854 is generic for multiple carriers to use.

I have an A854 in hand, as well as an A855, so believe me I know :) I've even flashed the A854 software over an A855 and it worked to remove all of Verizon's programming!

drkcobra

Reaction score
Cellular South Flex File for A854?

I do have the new MILER A854 sbf firmware file for the A854-5, but I was wondering if someone out there who got it thru more normal channels might happen to have the supporting .hs flex file for CES (Cellular South).
Any carrier's flex file would be just fine, but I believe that at present CES is the only one to have released the A854 model, even though NTelos is slated to do so as well very soon.
Thanks in advance!!!
...and PLEASE contact me if you have that flex or any other for the generic unlocked A854 model.

Weebles

Reaction score
The name DROID is licensed by Lucas Films/Arts and Verizon has to pay for it's use. Motorola rebranded the moto Droid A855 as the A854 and named it the Milestone for smaller/regional CDMA providers so they would not have to pay Lucas Films for the use of the name DROID. If the DROID name had stayed with the phone, the smaller/regional service providers wouldn't have agreed to use the device nor could they afford to pay for the name's use.

RandiOwen

Reaction score
I highly doubt there's an a854 milestone somewhere... but you do have a point, because milestones sold in different areas can have different 3G frequencies

Yes there is a Milestone A854, i have one here in Alaska through ACS (Alaska Communication)

Take care
Randi :icon_ banana: