MIKRADLE EVOLUTION [Review]

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]EVOLUTION Series[/FONT]

You may have seen our reviews in the past of the [FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE [/FONT]Classic and the ezeStand. The ezeStand was well-received due to its stylish design, flexibility for multiple phone orientations, and inexpensive price. The [FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE [/FONT]Classic, designed by DroidForums’ very own Cuskit, received great acclaim as well from the Droid community because of its versatility and wondrous aesthetic appeal. Due to their design restrictions, however, both the ezeStand and the [FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE [/FONT]Classic were limited to the Motorola Droid. Obviously, the smartphone world hardly can take a breath before the next and greatest phone is released. And such was the case with Android, as the Droid Incredible hit Verizon stores in May. Of course, people began to wonder whether Cuskit would be developing a new dock for the Incredible. Cuskit heard the cries; instead of designing a new dock to only fit the Droid Incredible, Cuskit ventured into creating a universal cradle, where all present and future smartphones could be docked. As such, the[FONT=&quot] MIKRADLE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]EVOLUTION[/FONT] Series was born.

mikradle_1_Resized.JPG

Today I will be reviewing the [FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]EVOLUTION[/FONT]. Specifically designed with the Droid line in mind, the [FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]EVOLUTION[/FONT] fits both the Motorola Droid and the HTC Droid Incredible, but should fit other phones on the market as well. So, how does the[FONT=&quot] MIKRADLE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]EVOLUTION[/FONT] stack up to its predecessor? And for $27.99 is the[FONT=&quot] MIKRADLE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]EVOLUTION [/FONT]really worth it?

mikradle_black1%5BResized%5D.JPG

mikradle_mahog1%5BResized%5D.JPG

Design

The main difference between the [FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE [/FONT]Classic and the[FONT=&quot] MIKRADLE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]EVOLUTION[/FONT] is the way the docks handle the charging ports. The [FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE [/FONT]Classic had a solid bar on the bottom, where the phone rested. To accommodate for the charging port, there was a cutout at the correct position for the Motorola Droid. However, the Droid Incredible has its charging port at a different position. Therefore, the bottom bar of [FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]EVOLUTION[/FONT] had to be re-designed. Replacing the solid bottom bar are 5 metal rods, with approx. 1 inch of space separating each rod. This was an incredibly intuitive solution to an awkward problem, and gives the [FONT=&quot]EVOLUTION[/FONT] Series an entirely new look. The steel rods, in combination with the dock’s black base, provide great contrast, and lend to the [FONT=&quot]EVOLUTION[/FONT] Series’ modernistic style.

Aside from the steel rods, the [FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]EVOLUTION [/FONT]is hand-crafted and composed entirely of wood. From an untrained eye, it appears that the dock is comprised of three cut pieces of wood that are glued and nailed together. The finalized design has minimal imperfections, and is professionally done. The curves and angles are perfectly smooth and uniform. The dock is entirely symmetrical. I must commend Cuskit for as close to a perfect execution of his design as possible. The dock is raised off the surface by four feet, which adds a bit of elegance and prominence to the accessory. You will not find a better-crafted cradle anywhere.

When compared to the Classic line, the [FONT=&quot]EVOLUTION[/FONT] Series has yet a few more design tweaks. First off, the front of the dock is overlayed with industrial felt, to prevent the backside of the phone from scratching. But would the felt interact, and possibly scratch, the Incredible’s camera lens? No. The new design accommodates for the Incredible’s protruding camera lens by cutting out a section of the felt, thus providing a recess where the lens will fit. As a result, the Incredible rests flush on the dock. The recess is covered by a thin metallic strip (brushed aluminum), which adds to the modernistic design, and complements wonderfully the steel rods.

mikradle_mahog9%5BResized%5D.JPG

mikradle_black7%5BResized%5D.JPG

Customization? You bet.

Simply stated, this type of dock screams customizability. The [FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]EVOLUTION[/FONT] Series is available in multiple wood varieties and colors. You will be able to choose from Black, White, Cherry, Oak, Walnut and Mahogany. I opted for the standard Black and the Mahogany models for my review. The steel rods, black felt, and aluminum strip look fantastic with the black dock. However, the same cannot be said about the Mahogany dock; the blacks and silvers simply look out of place. Cuskit explained that the standard dock includes steel rods, but there is a custom option for brass rods. So, for the Mahogany, Oak, Cherry, and Walnut varieties I would probably opt for the brass rods. If you’re looking for rods in colors other than silver or brass, then only solution would be to paint them. I was told by Cuskit that painting the rods will not be an option in the near-future because the paint will eventually rub off, thus deterring from the dock’s perfection. Even though stainless steel and brass should cover most of your custom needs, I do hope in the future, the [FONT=&quot]EVOLUTION[/FONT] Series will have an option for black rods. And considering they’re removable, maybe in the future, I wouldn’t mind a second set of rods (of a different color) with my[FONT=&quot] MIKRADLEs[/FONT].

So the rods can be customized to an extent. What about the rest of the cradle? The standard models are equipped with black felt and a brushed aluminum strip. Again, I find these to be the optimal colors if you’re looking to purchase the Black or White Dock. However, as I stated previously, the blacks and silvers clash with the Mahogany [FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE[/FONT]. If you’re like me, and would be interested in customizing your docks even further, you’re in luck. There is a custom option for either red or dark brown felt, which may go better with the wood-flavored docks, in my opinion. You can also choose to go with a different color for the metal inlay, including brass, stainless steel, and polished aluminum. There is now also an option for Carbon Fiber Vinyl Inlay, for those of you looking for that sleek black look!

The customizations for [FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]EVOLUTION [/FONT]Series are not limited to what I have described here. If you’re looking for a truly customized experience, ask Cuskit, and he shall deliver! Some completed [FONT=&quot]EVOLUTION [/FONT]custom projects include:

• A country western band ordered a set of Oak Evolutions with brass pegs and blue denim inlay strips (real denim material).
  • Other inlays including cork, bamboo, carbon fiber vinyl, Corian (a solid surface material well known for countertop construction) in several colors, as well as dozens of varying color vinyl inlays.
  • The owner of a Corvette had a black and white checkerboard inlay.
  • A real estate company ordered a set of Mahogany Evolutions with brass inlays engraved with their company logo (for the work desks of all their employees).
  • A client - who owns and races thoroughbred horses ordered custom color cherry Evolutions (a very dark cherry color as opposed to the lighter cherry stock color) with real cowhide LEATHER inlays with brass pegs, with his ranch name "branded" into the leather!
  • A quartz inlay - a stone/epoxy combination that resembles granite.
  • And… the most unique inlay to date? black Evolutions with yellow ruler inlays with brass pegs. These for a flooring carpet distributor.
As you can see, the customization opportunities are endless. Just need to use your imagination!

Differences between models?

Now, I have noticed subtle variations between the black and mahogany versions of the[FONT=&quot] EVOLUTION[/FONT] Series. First off, the rods on the Mahogany model were held in place by a small amount of glue (adhesive). The black model, on the other hand, had no adhesive whatsoever, resulting in 2 of the 5 rods being loose. Also, the Mahogany model has a few imperfections not found on the Black model. Specifically, on each side of the dock there are 4 brown dots. Also, the underside of the dock has 4 tiny holes. I’m not sure these flaws are found on all the wood-flavored docks, or if this is unique with mine. Simply, they may just be markers for the crafter, since the docks are hand-made after all. Notice the abnormalities in the photos below:

Black vs Mahogany - Side View - Note, the filled-in holes
mikradle_mahog4_sidedots2%5BResized%5D.JPG

No Holes For the Black Model
mikradle_black3%5BResized%5D.JPG

Magohany - Bottom View- Notice the Holes

mikradle_mahog8_holes%5BResized%5D.JPG

Cuskit’s Response:

I brought these issues up with Cuskit, to see whether or not they were unique with my Mahogany dock. Apparently, the dots on the side result from holes created by the nails securing the side panels. These holes are “filled with a wood epoxy, and when the clear finish is applied, you will see them contrasting to the wood grain; these filled holes are more or less apparent depending on the mahogany grain. The other wood models have a stain applied which masks the wood epoxy quite well.” He further explains as to why this isn’t an issue with the black and white models: “they are a solid color, so on these, the epoxy is completely painted over.”
Furthermore, as to the four holes on the bottom, they “were also from the steel pins used to hold the bottom ‘peg piece’ to the backrest bracket. They were not filled on your model, (but) all models sold since June 12th have these 4 holes filled.” There you have it. The dots will be more or less visible on the wood-flavored[FONT=&quot] MIKRADLE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]EVOLUTIONs[/FONT], but honestly, they are not obvious to any degree, unless you are closely examining the dock.
As to the glue found on my Mahogany’s rods, this is simply “removable” glue that is applied to keep the rods in place during shipping. Expect the rods to have a bit of this glue when you receive your own [FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]EVOLUTION.[/FONT]

Multiple Orientations? What about Multimedia Mode?

mikradle_black10%5BResized%5D.JPG

Cuskit stated that the phones can be positioned either vertically or horizontally, but after trying this with both the Motorola Droid and the Droid Incredible, I found that the phones are very unstable in the vertical position. Avoid this! The dock isn’t tall enough to support the phone vertically.

I also found that the [FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]EVOLUTION[/FONT] Series does not include a magnet to trigger Multimedia Mode on the Motorola Droid. This was presumably left out because the Droid Incredible does not have that feature. However, Motorola Droid owners, fear not! If you note in your order that you own the Motorola Droid, it is Cuskit’s routine procedure for a magnet to be installed for you.

The Droid X and the
[FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]EVOLUTION[/FONT]

And what about the Motorola Droid X that is coming out on July 15th? I just got word that the Droid X will fit perfectly in the [FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]EVOLUTION[/FONT] Series docks! I guess it truly is universal!

Value & Summary

mikradle_black9%5BResized%5D.JPG

Simply stated, Cuskit has outdone himself with the [FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]EVOLUTION[/FONT] Series. The beautiful and intuitive design really gives the [FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE [/FONT]a refined modernistic look. Although the retail price of $27.99 may seem steep for a dock, remember that the Motorola Multimedia Dock is $29.99 retail, and the design/quality of the two don’t even compare. Considering the dock is hand-crafted in the USA with quality wood and metal materials, it is worth every penny. The limitless customization opportunities are wonderful as well, and the dock will never become outdated because of its universal nature. My only suggestion, and a minor one at that, would be to offer the rods in more colors. Lastly, if you have any issues with your [FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE[/FONT], Cuskit is very active on DroidForums.net, and is always around to help. I urge you, if you’re in the market for a dock, do check out the [FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE[/FONT][FONT=&quot] EVOLUTION[/FONT] Series before you decide to purchase a plastic “Made in China” dock from Verizon. I promise, you won't be disappointed. All in all, the [FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE[/FONT][FONT=&quot] EVOLUTION[/FONT] is a surefire winner that will cradle my smartphones for generations to come.

--

Breaking News:

I’m pleased to announce that [FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE [/FONT].com will be unveiled on July 13th, exactly seven months from the date that the [FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE[/FONT] CLASSIC debuted! On there, you will find photos of some of the amazing custom docks that I outlined in my review. Stay tuned! But obviously, there is no need to wait for the site to be unveiled for you to order your very own [FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE[/FONT][FONT=&quot] EVOLUTION. [/FONT]Here’s how to order NOW:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mi...le-mikradle-evolution-series-here-photos.html

List price is $32.99, however, I am offering the [FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]EVOLUTION[/FONT] Series to all registered forum members for only $27.99 (add another $3.00 if you'd like to include a 6' MicroUSB Cable). Payments should be PayPal to my account name: [email protected] Be sure to include your forum user name, color choice and WHICH PHONE YOU OWN. Those who have the Motorola Droid need to advise me if they want a magnet installed as I only do this by request! Also include a shipping address, especially if your PayPal account has not been updated with current shipping addresses. Classic Series are still part of our current lineup, and will continue to sell at their current prices.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Manufacturer’s Press Release here:[/FONT]

"MIKRADLE EVOLUTION Series

MIKRADLE has introduced the latest concept in an Ultimate Docking Experience - The MIKRADLE EVOLUTION Series. Gone is the word “proprietary” from the MIKRADLE vocabulary. We’ve taken the steps necessary to move into a new realm of possibilities - our goal was to provide a product that could evolve with your smartphone experiences. It is designed to move with you as you continue to take advantage of newer phones and updated systems. It has no restrictions, and can hold a phone in both horizontal or vertical positions.

The totally open design allows for unlimited possibilities with cable port locations. Whether your cables exit top, bottom, left or right - MIKRADLE EVOLUTION provides for the ease of a connection that has no limitations. Obviously, the sides and top of the MIKRADLE EVOLUTION are open, and the bold steel rods that support your phone are removable - should you find one or more may impede your connecting cable.

Color choices are offered in a wide variety of choices - black, white, cherry, mahogany, oak and walnut. Custom colors are also available. A commercial grade felt backing is installed to ensure no scratches or damages may incur.

As delivered, we have included a featured inlay strip, a wide plate of solid brushed aluminum. Options include other metals, such as brass, stainless steel, polished aluminum, etc. Other colors and materials such as fabrics, wood veneers, bamboo, etc. will be offered, as well as personal engraving.

MIKRADLE EVOLUTION Series. A contemporary appearance, a functional purpose and a solid winner!"
Full library of [FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]EVOLUTION [/FONT]photos here
Press shots can be found here
[FONT=&quot]MIKRADLE [/FONT].com coming soon!

cuskit

Reaction score
Matthew, I'd like to start by thanking you for that wonderful, direct and honest review of my latest product! I'm very flattered and pleased by your opinions, which carry a lot of respect here on the forums! You've outdone yourself here, and I thank you for the effort and time devoted to this review.

Your points are received and will be digested well. As to the nail holes on the mahogany model, I'm not sure but in your photo they appear to be quite objectionable and I'm not sure why, perhaps the light reflected adversely off them. I've attempted to utilize an epoxy that simulates as close as possible the color of the mahogany wood. To date, I've received absolutely not one response showing displeasure with this point. I will be sending you a replacement, and ask that you send that one back to me so that I can determine why the dots are so obvious on that particular piece. I'll state here that should any buyer find any issue (such as these dots or any other imperfections) that they are not pleased with, that I will either refund in full their purchase price or issue them a replacement. I will look to see if I can make these dots completely invisible as they are on all other models, including the walnut, oak and cherry.

Vertical positioning of the phone is perhaps not ideal, but I did not wish to make the height of the back of these units higher. I am working as we speak on a novel approach that may very well indeed make vertical positioning a very secure option. I will post here in this thread when such time occurs that I've perfected this approach. Let me note that it will not in any way change the look, shape or profile of this model. More down the road.. :)

I am still working on securing optional colors on the supporting rods, but to date this is an approach that seemingly is not cost effective as they would have to be custom made (the steel and brass I currently offer are stock items from one of my supply houses). So, the cost of a custom color rod, in sufficient volume to be feasibly manufactured is at the moment too expensive to include at the current selling price. And I'm trying not to raise prices here.. ;) I'm not going to stop exploring this though!

I thank you for mentioning the debut date of our website - that has been a long time coming!

For the rest of the review - I can't say enough about it - you've spoken better than I could on the merits, design and practical application of my dock (cradle). To say I'm ecstatically pleased with your review is an understatement for sure! :)

A final and very serious note. I've received a lot of orders in the last three weeks that have been partially filled. A family medical emergency has been taking a lot of my time, and as such orders have fallen behind on shipping. I'm in the middle of notifying all who have not yet received their orders, and will be advising new buyers that orders at the moment will be a one week delay before shipping. This is only until July 6th, as of that date I will have enough Evolutions in stock for 24 hour shipping. All those who have ordered already, if you haven't received an e-mail yet - be aware that all will have been shipped by this Friday, July 2. I would ask if any are so inclined to offer prayers for a family member who has within the last couple of weeks been diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer, with it spreading into her lymph nodes. I would normally not make this public, but feel obligated to inform my client base to know why they may or may not have a delay in shipping. I thank you for your patience and understanding. I've already been shown the wonderful compassion of these forums when my Dad recently suffered a heart attack.

Thanks, Matthew! I very much appreciate your review here! It's been my pleasure reading it and have seen the same response to my products from all the staff here on the forums, as well as the membership! A better forum on the net just not exist! :) mikey

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cuskit, thanks for the kind words on the review :)

From your response alone, it really shows your wonderful demeanor and character.

As I said, the "dots" on the sides don't bother me much. Just simply pointing out my observations. In the "side-view" photos, I did not use flash or altered the photos in any way ;) and considering the dock faces forwards, they're not an issue for me.

It was tough to put into words how truly I was impressed with the Mikradle Evolution. Again thanks for all your hard work, and for great support you provide on DroidForums.net.

And finally, I wish you and your family the best; it truly has been a trying time for you and your family, yet you still find time to pump these Mikradles out ;). It's great to see you feel comfortable enough to share such issues with us here.

all the best, Matt

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great review Matt! It's nice to know the Droid X will work with the same dock as well. That should save a few $$ when upgrading to the newest Droid!

thehirsches

Reaction score
cuskit,

It looks really good. I only have one suggestion. I use a Bodyglove case with the snap belt clip. As a result the phone does not have a flat back.
Perhaps you could also offer a model with the center area cleared out so we will not have to remove the case to use your base.

cuskit

Reaction score
cuskit,

It looks really good. I only have one suggestion. I use a Bodyglove case with the snap belt clip. As a result the phone does not have a flat back.
Perhaps you could also offer a model with the center area cleared out so we will not have to remove the case to use your base.

Way ahead of you! Since the initial offering of MIKRADLE Classic Series, I've been supplying buyers with custom "snap" versions exactly for the issue you speak of! All you have to do is ask! I've supplied a few hundred like this over the past months! :) mikey

MIKRADLE EVOLUTION Series "Snap Version in Black":
SnapLeft.jpg
SnapRight.jpg

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
D'oh, completely forgot to discuss the "snap-on" case option! thanks for following that up, cuskit

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone know that the Mikradle Evolution Series officially supports the Droid X! Check it out, if you haven't already.