New DOCK! For Incredible as well as most Smartphones!

Droids

Reaction score
Having been a woodworker for most of my life before entering IT, and having had a 4k sq ft professional woodshop for almost 15 of those years, I can say this:

The material costs are nil, just table saw scraps. Some cost in finishing. Some cost in design and building prototypes. Some cost in building jigs to mass produce the parts.

Big friggin' pain in the ass to cut and shape all those little pieces, sand 'em and glue 'em up without glue stains, inspect each one, prep, stain, lacquer and dry them (multiple color options too). Then package and ship them. I won't get into shop overhead.

I've taken on these types of projects when regular work was slow, and I had minimum quantities of 200 per order before I would even consider it. In the big picture I doubt there is a whole lot of profit in making these. I wouldn't make them for $25, been there done that. If you're a hobbyist working out of your garage or shed you could do this for a little side income, but cuskit has a business to run.

Only way you'd get these for less is from a Chinese factory with fully automated systems that turned out thousands a day.

Droids

Reaction score
love it or hate it , the dock is a way of life for most mac os x users. It launches our programs, it keeps track of minimized windows, it holds our trash, and it alerts us to programs that need attention. The dock has seen updates with ever...
-rotflmfao

claustin

Reaction score
i think just about everybody in this forum are collectively rolling their eyes at you now...

The actual shipping cost alone has got to be about 5-10 bucks going by those USPS flat rate shipping boxes, so that knocks it down to 15-20 bucks depending where you buy it (here 24.99 ebay 29.99) since it's free shipping. He could just knock 10 bucks off the price and you could pay 10 bucks shipping. Would that be better to you? You seem to be basing your assumptions on cost of materials--which is not $1, that's absurd--and time alone, which is just a really weak argument regardless of what your dad did. Like I said before, obviously not for you. Just move on man.

Droids

Reaction score
i think just about everybody in this forum are collectively rolling their eyes at you now...
I'm thinking he just fell off a boat or something. Maybe he hit his head on a buoy.

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
heh.

no one is forcing you to buy one and if you can make a better one, then do it.. thats all it boils down to and thats where i see this going.. another wooden stand with usb attached.. like the oem stand, which i have.

i wish i made a stand that everyone is buying up.. dang it!! maybe i should do a incredible stand.. since i upgraded to it. :icon_evil:

OP
C

cuskit

Reaction score
Since it's obvious that mbksys is merely a troll, having only five posts and all five hell bent on making a feeble mockery of MIKRADLE, I've gone ahead and deleted my responses to him. Though each was a civil, friendly and informative response - he continues to troll, showing no interest in any other subject on these forums other than criticizing my product. I believe I've proven my character, business sense, honest intentions and dedication to providing a useful product to the members here on droidforums.net, and have more important topics of conversation to be involved in than trying to make sense of this inane attack. So, MIKRADLE no longer recognizes any input by mbksys as worthy of any further response.

I do thank those who have showed support here, and would encourage all to just let this pass. My Dad, a very astute man, has always told me that when it comes to speech, the less said the more understood... :) mikey

claustin

Reaction score
You were more civil than I would have been lol. In fact, even though they aren't my cup of tea aesthetically (I'm more an aluminum/glass kind of guy) I'm going to pre-order one for use at work. It'd blend in nicely there and I love the flexibility they offer.

claustin

Reaction score
In fact, I'm now going to find an incredible... pardon the pun lmao... wooden picture frame holder that will equal if not outshine yours for less than half, or even a third of your price, then we'll see....

Good luck with that. And the one you posted is far too small. Scale that up and it would look pretty decent as a phone stand though. And if you do decide it's worth it, you could get one for 24.99 for being a registered forum member. Just sayin'. Keep up the good work cuskit.

Had to edit this to add that it doesn't really matter one iota what you "think" it's worth to you. This is what it's worth for cuskit to make them and plenty of people have decided it's a fair price. I'm sure there are others like yourself who think it's too much and also didn't buy one, but you're the only one who felt the need to make a huge deal out of it. If you think it's so easy and overpriced go make your own and sell them. Maybe you'll put cuskit out of business. I doubt it though.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Now I'm a troll???, since I don't agree that members here should be paying sooo much of their hard earned money for such a basic thing??
Simply "not agreeing" would entail a post or two. Not six postings in this thread which, if it isn't trolling, is certainly more than your average threadcrapping. If it's not your thing then move on. If you can actually offer a comparable or better product at the same price or less and support this site as cuskit has done then by all means let's see it. Anyone can criticize. Very few actually do something.

I'm thinking that the few who've jumped on my shiet must've bought one of your docks and is trying to justify spending so much for it...I can't figure it out other than that...
Nope. Personally, I don't find cuskit's dock to meet my needs but that doesn't mean that I rant in threads on his dock at every chance I get (or any other product for that matter). I just don't have the time to rant about every single thing that doesn't meet my needs or is perceived by me to be overpriced. Instead, I went out and found a dock that has the fixed USB port that I wanted/needed.

I wouldn't even say that cuskit's dock seems overpriced IMO. Most people that criticize product pricing based on parts costs seem to fail to figure in the other related costs (particularly the person's time) -- regardless of whatever experience is flaunted in an attempt to come across as some sort of expert.

Give it a rest. You made your point. We're all tired of seeing it over and over and over which is precisely why you're getting so much flak in this thread. Find some other windmills to tilt at for a while.

It was never my intent to ruffle any of your feathers, but I'm not going to just sit here while all of you try to ridicule me for thinking this is not nearly worth the price you're asking.
No one is ridiculing your opinion. It's your approach that is ruffling feathers. Try to understand what the difference is and stop focusing on having the last word.

OP
C

cuskit

Reaction score
Thanks all. ;)

To get back on track, I'll be posting pix tomorrow evening, with shipping beginning this Friday. I've made a subtle change on the sides of the MIKRADLE, with a bit more contemporary look as opposed to the original Classic look. This in answer to many requests. The sides are also flush with the back rest, allowing for the exit of cabling without "lifting" the phone off the the back rest. I've also employed a unique solution to the protruding camera lens, which may only have been a problem for those not using a case. The word is that a case makes the lens flush, though I've not seen any cases (too new) to verify this. Regardless, the MIKRADLE EVOLUTION Series has addressed this issue.

I've got a full production of black units that will be finished by Thursday (75 units), with six cherry units as well as two white units, one mahogany, four walnut and two oak (all spoken for). From the requests coming in, I'm assuming black will be the heavy seller, just as it was with the Classic line. But the other colors will all be available for shipping by a week from today.

Looking forward to the reaction to this new Series! From the amount of Incredible action here on the forums - I'd say there is a lot of interest in a dock that will accommodate this. Any solid word from anyone as to when HTC will be releasing a "true" dock for this model? mikey

MJ5150

Reaction score
I've also already bought an open ended business card stand from OfficeMax for 3. Bucks and will mount that to a mahagoney housing (with intricate detail) ..drill a hole underneathe for the cable ...for another $6 bucks , and I'll have myself one that will be both attractive and price efficient..

Post up pictures of what you came up with please. I'd like to see it.

If you can mass purchase the parts and streamline the build process, you may be able to sell them for a profit. Just a thought.

-Mike

OP
C

cuskit

Reaction score
Update:

My new series, the MIKRADLE EVOLUTION Series is designed not only for the HTC Incredible but also to accommodate just about every Smartphone on the market. It takes into consideration the locations of exit ports for the MicroUSB (or mini, USB A or any other configuration) ports as well as audio cables, and has virtually not restrictions on any of these. Coping with all these differing locations (each manufacturer and model seems to have it's own unique location) has been to date a difficult task, but my new design addresses this well. It will also accommodate most (if not all) covers currently available (I cannot speak for whatever new covers may enter the marketplace) without removal of same.

HTC also threw in one more curve - they elected to utilize a "protruding" camera lens, which the MIKRADLE EVOLUTION Series has also addressed in a manner that keeps the phone from rocking on it. I've incorporated a solution that imparts a contemporary look while solving the "rocking" issue of this protruding lens. It will not appear to be a proprietary feature for just the Incredible.

Incidentally, the MIKRADLE EVOLUTION Series will allow for most phones to be placed in either a horizontal or vertical position with all cables attached - your choice! :)

So, there you have it. The new MIKRADLE EVOLUTION Series!

You can see photos of this new model beginning late tomorrow morning here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mikradle/40833-new-dock-evolution-series-incredible.html. I had hoped to post this evening, but was held up by a delivery of key components needed for the photos. I've received a confirmation notice of delivery for tomorrow, so at that time I'll take pictures and post. Shipping is still on track beginning the end of this week (for all orders as of yesterday). Any new orders coming in may not ship until Monday, May 10th depending on color selection. I do have plenty of black models, but the white and wood grain colors were only produced in quantities for current orders up to yesterday. The photos I will be posting will only be the black models - wood colors and white will not be ready for camera until Wednesday or Thursday. New buyers are receiving confirmation e-mails with shipping dates.

I would ask all to monitor the included link here for updates, it seems this particular thread has taken a tangent that is not productive to the original intent of this thread, which is primarily to debut the MIKRADLE EVOLUTION Series as well as describe it and allow users to post questions and thoughts on it. I have no wish to use it to debate the merits of my pricing program nor the justification of how others may perceive the manufacturing process of any of my products. For those who wish to follow that line of conversation, I would ask politely that they begin a new thread elsewhere so that all can stay on track - this thread is NOT a debating thread. I thank you all for this consideration, as well as the heartfelt gratitude I feel for those that posted words to the defense of the MIKRADLE manufacturing process, design and price bracket. Even though they were not MIKRADLE owners!

Thanks all - see you tomorrow! :) mikey

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
unfortunately i have no control over this particular section of the forum. i have, however, reported..... and this trolling will be dealt with shortly. sorry cuskit....i LOVE my mikcradle :D