Maxx owners..If you had to get a verizon phone

SilverFoxx

Reaction score
From my limited Android experience, I would recommend the Razr Maxx.

I recently switched from Att to Verizon and from an iPhone to Android. Over the last 2 months I tried to research as much as I could so I could make the switch easier. From what I read, I narrowed it down to the Maxx and GNex.

At the store, i spent 30-40 minutes hands on with those two phones. I really liked the screen on the GNex, it was much brighter and seemed clearer. There were a few things I liked better on the GNex because of ICS. Keep in mind that I've never used a android phone before.

I ended up going with 2 GNex phones. I kept both phones for 5 days before taking them back and getting the Maxx.

There were 3 main reasons:

1. The battery life is horrible! A full charge did not last a day of light-moderate usage. I had to plug it in every chance I got. My wife had a similar experience and she barely uses her phone throughout the day.

I had to disable most of the phones features like LTE just to get through the day. Also, the phone uses more juice than the charger can supply. If you have a dead battery, the phone will not work without disabling features while plugged in. It will keep shutting down.

2. The call quality was poor. I had multiple people ask me to repeat myself during phone calls and I had trouble hearing people a few times. My wife had the same experience.

3. The last thing is a minor fact that I overlooked during my research. The GNex does not have expandable storage. 32gb is plenty for most, but not for my needs.

So far the Maxx is great. It should go without saying that the battery is not an issue. There are a few things that I like and dislike, but I'm happy with the Maxx. I dont know if the GNex had it or not, but the Smart Actions feature is awesome. It allows me to program
actions based on certain conditions like when it connects to my truck's BT or when I plug in the phone at night.

I have not tried any Roms yet, I'll look into that this week. I've been very happy with the Maxx so far.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Last edited:

tkileh

Reaction score
Maxx for life. Its incomparable. Battery beats anything and so what screen isnt as good. Its still pretty spectacular not to mention I get to enjoy my screen more since you will be connected to a charger.

Maxxed Out!!!

cbreze

Reaction score
The screen is fine on the maxx. I don't understand why so many are obsessed with having the most pristine screen in the world on a phone. My maxx is a phone first and needs to bring down the best RF in the business and it does that. Everything else is gravy. I had one samshung phone years ago and found it to have pretty bad RF capabilities. Apparently they are still lacking in that area from what I read. I don't care how good a screen is if I can't get decent signal what's the point?

DaddyRabbit

Reaction score
I too was torn between the Maxx and the GNex. There were a couple of things that pointed me to the Maxx though:

1) Battery life (of course)
2) Removable storage
3) Gorilla glass and Kevlar
4) I just like Motorola phones for build quality and reliability.

That said, I picked up my Maxx yesterday afternoon. This afternoon (26hrs owned) I finished a BT call, locked the phone and put it in my jacket pocket, went into MickeyDs and made an order, pulled the phone out to check the time and nada! Phone was dead as the proverbial doornail! Battery was fully charged too. Would not power on, by instinct with the DroidX (1st one) last 2 years I though "battery pull" oh, forgot... The local VZ store made good and gave me a brand spanky new one though and I am not sorry.

I like the screen, especially outside. The phone feels more solid that the GNex, ICS is on the way at some point, and battery life will rock if I ever own one more than 26 hrs!

I was initially jazzed about the GNex but after comparing it online and in the store to the Razr (non-Maxx) I was on the fence. The Maxx released and soundly put me on the Moto side.

Only 2 complains coming from a DX (which was/is a great phone!) I HATE the USB and HDMI on top and Lock/Pwr being on the side! Other than that the Maxx rocks, so far!

B

bens42608

The screen is fine on the maxx. I don't understand why so many are obsessed with having the most pristine screen in the world on a phone. My maxx is a phone first and needs to bring down the best RF in the business and it does that. Everything else is gravy. I had one samshung phone years ago and found it to have pretty bad RF capabilities. Apparently they are still lacking in that area from what I read. I don't care how good a screen is if I can't get decent signal what's the point?

Exactly. I don't understand why people act like the screen is so terrible- its a perfectly good screen for a phone. It's not like were hooking our blu ray playets to it

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The max has great battery but I love my Gnex. I easily get a full days use and have even gone almost two days without a charge. Mind you I'm not rooted and I was using thebstsndard battery, and I was always connected to 4g. But I didn't use my phone at all.

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk 2.

Reaction score
The screen is not bad on the maxx, its just not as good as nexus.

DROID RAZR MAXX

......it's only the the same resolution as the 3 year old droid x :icon_eek:

either rooting, or waiting for the next update will get you better battery life on the GN. my GN is not rooted, and lasts me all day with web surfing and playing asphalt 6 :D

Insidious

Reaction score
Recall living my Rezound, and I keep it naked most of the time. I've dropped it about 5 times and there are no cosmetic blemishes whatsoever.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

huskur

Reaction score
Out of all the phone you listed OP I would give the Maxx the win hands down. Is the battery all that? Yes

Display? Come on man this is a phone #1. There is not that much difference in the display. Go to a VZW store and check for yourself. No ICS yet but it will come in time.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree with what's been said about the Rezound and Bionic. Even tho I never used a Bionic, its on my radar. FM radio and outdoor viewing.

I'm typing from a Rezound now..and best believe it's not because I want to. My RAZR needs to be charged up.

huskur

Reaction score
I agree with what's been said about the Rezound and Bionic. Even tho I never used a Bionic, its on my radar. FM radio and outdoor viewing.

I'm typing from a Rezound now..and best believe it's not because I want to. My RAZR needs to be charged up.

My wife has the bionic.....nice nice device! (My Maxx is no slouch either)

musclemilk

Reaction score
I am on the fence.

The maxx is 299 now.

But the razr is 99.99$ .

is the original razr battery really that bad?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Reaction score
I am on the fence.

The maxx is 299 now.

But the razr is 99.99$ .

is the original razr battery really that bad?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

It depends on your use and need. I have the razr and would never fork over the extra cash just for battery life. My razr lasts 10-15 hours depending on what i do. During the week, at work, it is just a phone in my pocket so the battery is a non issue. If you were away from home trying to stream music or watch movies or have the screen on non stop, then of course the battery will die quick.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

musclemilk

Reaction score
Good point I don't stream movies

Hmmm I might get it.

Just gotta sell my droid x.