Maxx, ICS, Google Nav, no longer gives upcoming turn warnings

CaGaPeach

Reaction score
Haven't been able to find thread on this issue here, but there are on other forums. It seems with ICS that Google Navigation lost the ability to give upcoming turn instructions. I must watch the screen in order to know whether I'll be turning left or right. The voice instructions come only when immediately at the turn, too late to move across 4 lanes to turn left instead of right. This is very frustrating and has only happened with the ICS update. I don't mind the voices changing along the route but not having turn warnings makes GN useless to this grandma.

Wondering if it's a new Razr Maxx problem, an ICS problem, or a Google problem? Anyone else notice these changes in navigation? Please help if you have a solution.

cbroussard99

Reaction score
CaGaPeach said:
Haven't been able to find thread on this issue here, but there are on other forums. It seems with ICS that Google Navigation lost the ability to give upcoming turn instructions. I must watch the screen in order to know whether I'll be turning left or right. The voice instructions come only when immediately at the turn, too late to move across 4 lanes to turn left instead of right. This is very frustrating and has only happened with the ICS update. I don't mind the voices changing along the route but not having turn warnings makes GN useless to this grandma.

Wondering if it's a new Razr Maxx problem, an ICS problem, or a Google problem? Anyone else notice these changes in navigation? Please help if you have a solution.

I used mine yesterday and I had no issues. It gave me turn warnings and I noticed there were two different voices in the Nav. It was as if it was mad at me for re-routing.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I noticed that the chick on mine started talking really fast, sounds like she had about 4 Red Bulls. Other than that though it still works fine.

OP
C

CaGaPeach

Reaction score
I noticed that the chick on mine started talking really fast, sounds like she had about 4 Red Bulls. Other than that though it still works fine.

I now have 3 chicks, the old one that's not too good, a new younger-sounding one that pronounces the Spanish names correctly and is a little more pleasing to listen to, and then one that sounds like she may be a country western singer, a little throaty-sounding. In a 30 minute trip, the voices change automatically from one to the other.

My real problem is not receiving the upcoming turn notifications until I am already at the intersection. The other forums are full of these complaints but no one here is complaining. This is my go-to forum for problem-solving so I thought you guys could help or confirm that it's an ICS, a Google, or a Maxx problem and I have to wait for a fix.

Anyone? Is there something I can do?

Last edited:

cbroussard99

Reaction score
CaGaPeach said:
I now have 3 chicks, the old one that's not too good, a new younger-sounding one that pronounces the Spanish names correctly and is a little more pleasing to listen to, and then one that sounds like she may be a country western singer, a little throaty-sounding. In a 30 minute trip, the voices change automatically from one to the other.

My real problem is not receiving the upcoming turn notifications until I am already at the intersection. The other forums are full of these complaints but no one here is complaining. This is my go-to forum for problem-solving so I thought you guys could help or confirm that it's an ICS, a Google, or a Maxx problem and I have to wait for a fix.

Anyone? Is there something I can do?

I know its pain in the butt, but factor data reset. I have had to do it twice since the OTA.

MikeHuff

Reaction score
I know its pain in the butt, but factor data reset. I have had to do it twice since the OTA.

First of all, this is my first post to the forums after reaching quite a lot. Thanks for the info here! I processed my OTA upgrade Tuesday and am noticing a few weird things.

Google Nav is one of my absolute favorite apps. I use it on a regular basis. I fired it up today and not only have the street names stopped working, ALL voice has stopped working. Not a single word from ethel. I -really- hate the idea of a complete factory reset...is this the only way to correct?

There are a couple other things like some missing widgets (namely the 1x1 sized on/off controls for GPS, Wifi, airplane mode) but I will dig around to see if there is anything else mentioned about that.

Thanks!

MitchMel

Reaction score
U could try going into app manager and clearing data for maps and nav. Just a thought.

I have used google nav a few times since the update and works fine. I use nicole from ivona text to speech

MikeHuff

Reaction score
Clearing data seems have given me some voice. I need to get it on the road tomorrow to see what happens with street naes. Thanks for suggestion.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score

I'm 99% sure this is a Google Maps problem. Not only did I start having it over a month before the ICS OTA, but my wife's old Droid X running Google Maps has the exact same issue. Either wait for a fix, or spend a few bucks and try Verizon Navigator, I guess.

chhare

Reaction score
After reading these posts yesterday I used Goodle Nav on my way home from work and it worked fine for me. I didn't have different voices though. The voice I did have was very soft though, almost couldn't hear it. I did get upcoming turn warnings as one would expect.

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
First I just wanted to say that I think the chick sound hotter since ICS. :D

Anyway, I didn't pay much attention before my ICS upgrade, but I went out last weekend and used navigation. I wasn't too pleased with the short turn notification. I come on this thread and I'm wondering if it was ICS' fault or not. Also, maybe I haven't used it enough, but, I use to use VZ Navigator on my previous phone and dumped it since purchasing my MAXX, considering Google Navigation is free. Seems like VZ Navigator is better with upcoming traffic conditions and road closures. Can anyone else comment about this?

timlitw

Reaction score
I went out on errands after reading this yesterday and drove about an hour - I love the new voice. I think I'll get rid of ivona. BUt as far as turn notifications I always got 3/4 mile, 1/4 mile, and right on top of the turn notifications.

BKApple

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear these issues. I installed ICS about five days ago and the Google navigation is working perfectly and the new voice is so much better.

Good luck!

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Much to my dismay, I inadvertantly got the "Real Mothers-in-Law of Long Island" with my ICS Google Nav. One voice and it berades and complains in ever increasing volumes.
" Oh, I can believe how stoopid you R, you TOTALLY missed that turn, UggHHH....I'm staying another Month just because of that.
and You are massaging my bunions later with a nice olive oil and sea salt rub. Oh You!!!

wazzelby

Reaction score
I noticed this as well while in California this weekend. She would announce the turn like 2 miles out, then not again until I was right on top of the turn. Very annoying..