Mangler - Ventrilo for Android!

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mangler - Ventrilo for Android! [Exclusive First Look]

mangler.JPG

There is no official Ventrilo support for Android, or Linux for that matter, despite a project being "in the works" since 2005. But that hasn't stopped the open-source community from developing its own Ventrilo client. And this is exactly what a team of devs have been working on since September, 2009. Dubbed Mangler, Linux's first Ventrilo-capable client was born. Since then, Mangler has made great strides, eventually growing into a full-featured stable Ventrilo substitute for Linux. But, the question remained, would we ever see Mangler on Android? The same developers behind Mangler began to toying with an Android port of its open-source Ventrilo client in December, but after a few roadblocks, and the lack of a UI, the project was put on hold for awhile.

Mangler UI

mangler2.png

However, the project picked up steam as interest for an Android port in the community grew. And finally, on June 12th, the first alpha for Mangler was released to the public. Truly a monumental occasion! Since June 12th, and tons of bug fixes and feature implementations later, Mangler Android 1.0 alpha 4 was released on July 7th. I have had a chance to play with Mangler Android 1.0alpha 4 for a few days, and let me tell you, for an early alpha, it is was a pleasure to use. The UI is somewhat clunky, which takes getting used to, and the audio quality is a bit tinny. That being said, the latest release is very stable, and once you get the feel of the application, it is easy to navigate. Basic functionality does exist, including opening/disconnecting chats, listing/joining channels, perusing user lists, and a simple "push-to-talk" button (screenshot above). You can't ask more from an open-source Ventrilo client, considering an official client will likely never be released. You will find a few screenshots at the end of the article.

Mangler is self-described by its developers as:

an open source VOIP client capable of connecting to Ventrilo 3.x servers. It is capable of performing almost all standard user functionality found in a Windows Ventrilo client. Mangler is maintained by Eric Kilfoil. Current contributers include:

• Haxar (wishes to remain anonymous)
  • humbaba (wishes to remain anonymous)
  • Bob Shaffer II
  • clearscreen/Daniel Sloof/danslo
  • Justin Pai (killy)
Ironically enough, the project's motto is: "No one should use our software… ever." The basis behind this motto is that Ventrilo in essence is not friendly to open-source. Even though Mangler is open-source, it serves to bridge the gap between Ventrilo servers and Linux/Android, thus making it dependent on closed-source protocols. With Mangler, there is no future plans to implement Ventrilo server functionality. Furthermore, there are full 100% open-source alternatives to Ventrilo, which is not the case with Mangler:

There are 100% open source alternatives to Ventrilo. We highly recommend Mumble for those that are looking into setting up this type of server. Mangler exists to bridge the gap for people who don’t have that choice. Ventrilo is the de facto standard for guild/clan conversation and Linux doesn’t have an implementation. The official Ventrilo client for Linux has been “in development” since 2005. Since it seems they have no intention of releasing a Linux client, we have taken up the task.

Many people ask if a server is the next step. Our answer is no. If you’re setting up a server, you should check out Mumble. The Ventrilo protocol includes a call home feature that checks the server’s license every time you connect. These tactics are anathema in open source ideology.
So, for those of you looking for a Ventrilo-compatible client for Android, make sure to check out Mangler. Expect to see full functionality on Android soon, as the Linux version is arguably a completely functional client. Whether you are a gamer, or are simply looking for a VoIP client, Mangler for Android may be for you! Do remember, the app is still in alpha, but as i previously stated, is rather stable, and would serve the needs of most people who are simply looking to connect to Ventrilo servers and chat. Mangler should be compatible with most 1.5-2.2 Android phones, with the exception of Samsung phones. If you own a Samsung smartphone (Galaxy S, Moment, Intercept, etc), and are interested in helping out, let the developer know!

If you're interested in helping out with the Mangler project, check out the original DroidForums post here, or check out Mangler's official webpage

Source Mangler.org

mangler3_int_menu.png
mangler4.png
mangler1.png
mangler5.png

Last edited:

yurdle

Reaction score
I must say lol... This is pretty awesome.. I look forward to checking it out on my Droid X when I get it =)

theascended

Reaction score
Just tried in on my droid.

My guild forums has 50+ rooms in a nested tree structure... and it is a pain to navigate with this interface. Excepting that, it works wonderfully over 3g.

ljprevo

Reaction score
I tried this out, I am so excited to see a vent app for the droid. However the voice seems tad quite. Hopefully they add some settings, however this is a GREAT start!

Wolf Irotisha

Reaction score
One thing i noticed right off the bat. is if u close out (hit back or home) u stay logged in,. then when u reopen the app it put ANOTHER one of u in it. But other then that it works GREAT very responsive i noticed the AS soon as i switch oin my phone it switches in vent

Dyerseve

Reaction score
Only other thing I noticed is that it doesn't show up as a task, so it cant be ended if you back out of it. Other than that, sweet app.

siggy_freud

Reaction score
I'd love if this worked with a blue tooth headset. Would be nice to talk with my buddies on vent during work or the drive home.

kristoff125

Reaction score
another idea, I noticed today, on a random vent I joined, when an ####### starts spamming and logging off and on, it doesn't keep him muted =(.