Maintentance Upgrade for Verizon's Samsung Fascinate

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon_fascinate_galaxy_s.jpg

For our Samsung Fascinate users, here is a piece of welcome news. Verizon's Samsung Fascinate gets a maintenance upgrade that addresses a few hiccups and adds new features. It's nothing too thrilling like a much desired Froyo upgrade, but it looks like some useful stuff regardless. At least you don't have to fret if you get it late in the 'staggering' tier. Here are a few of the details:
  • Improved stand-alone GPS performance.
  • Music now pauses if you unplug your wired headset or turn off your bluetooth headset
  • Ability to use special characters in corporate email passwords.
  • Ability to open any PDF attachments sent in an email.
  • Increased security by hiding your 3G Mobile Hotspot password while typing
Verizon's link to the .pdf containing more details is down right now, but here it is for when they get it fixed: Samsung Fascinate Maintenance Update

Source: VZW

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Pretty sure its because of the lack of updates that samsung is pushing out. Putting out the product and no support.

s13_slider

Reaction score
Even with the lack of updates, I have no complaints with my Fascinate. No apps to sd? That's fine. The phone has more than enough internal storage for it not to be an issue for me. I had a D1 previously and was constantly running low on storage. No bluetooth voice dialing? I wouldn't use it if I had it.

The only thing I do miss from 2.2 is setting a numerical unlock code, but I'll live without it.

dlmvegas

Reaction score
Well I hate to say this but I'm not thrilled with my fascinate just based on Samsung's lack of doing timely updates. All the other people I know that don't have a Samsung Droid phone have 2.2 running. What the hell is the deal with Samsung?

There is also a new 2.3 system out in December called "Gingerbread". I guess us Samsung users will see that on our phones 2012.

This so called maintenance update listed above doesn't even show up when I select Check New. It would be nice to have the GPS update since my GPS is always off at least 5 - 10 blocks. It then takes 10 - 20 minutes to show my correct position.

Scott2373

Reaction score
Updates

So far I like my fasciante the way it is. I DO NOT WANT the updates for the lights staying on or having to manually unlock the phone after docking it! I'd like to slap the engineers for that!

kaiserxion

Reaction score
I just came from AT&T with an iPhone 3G... My Samsung fascinate is LEAGUES above that piece of garbage and the slacker company that supports it. Not having Froyo when you have a perfectly working phone is nitpicking. Apple's iPhone 3G is so bad there is a class action lawsuit against them, so appreciate the working phone and the extensive coverage you have and stop complaining just because you want a slight performance upgrade.

dlmvegas

Reaction score
Yeah you are correct in some ways. The apple iphone is a piece of junk. Most people I know hate it. I don't know if part of the problem is the lousy service AT&T provides though. When the reception problem came up for Version 4 I didn't care for the arrogant ass Steve Job's response as a fix to the problem. If there is a class action suit I hope he loses big time.

The thing that does make me unhappy is the fact that why is Samsung the last one to upgrade their phones when all the other droid manufacturers have already done so. Is the new system just too full of bugs to work on the Samsung phone? If the people that are writing this system are anything like Microsoft then I would probably prefer waiting. Seems lately when you take an update from Microsoft for your PC it trashes it. It really doesn't pay to be on the bleeding edge of technology all the time.

Scott2373

Reaction score
My problem with Samsung or Verizon not updating the Fascinate to FroYo, is the fact that this is such a competitive business. It doesn't make any sense to leave us behind when the company's reputation relies heavily on the communications market. These are the young people (well not me, I'm old) that are going to be buying Samsung's products well into the future, until something they do causes them not to. This is the sort of thing a younger person will remember as it is good example of Samsung's commitment to it's existing customers as well as it's customer service. It just doesn't make any sense!