Losing Icons for SD Card-based Apps with Reboot

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered. I tried to find a thread but was unsuccessful. I find that whenever I reboot my Razr Maxx I lose the specific shortcut icons for apps that have been moved to the "media area" of the phone. In their place is a generic gear icon in a blue square. I can still access the apps from the screens but in order to recover the unique icons for each app I have to trash the shortcuts and reinstall them.

I've confirmed that the problem exists only for apps that I've moved to the SD card (i.e. "media area"). Is this a known bug? I haven't encountered the problem with other Android phones. Is there a workaround other than moving the apps to the phone storage?

Tonik

Reaction score
Can't speak for your Maxx but what you describe is true on the Bionic also. What is happening is you reboot your phone and the home screen is built before the SD card mounts, so the icon goes nuts. The Bionic fix is to move it to the phone storage.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe that is a known bug on Bionics / Razrs. I thought that was fixed awhile back in a patch, but maybe I'm wrong.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
only workaround that i know of is to install an aftermarket launcher ( adw,launcher pro, whatever you choose ) and restart launcher after a reboot

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Some people say it's a feature, so you only put media in the media partition, and apps in the app area.

There are apps that move apps to your SD card.

Sent by my new Droid Razr Maxx

OP
jsh1120

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Some people say it's a feature, so you only put media in the media partition, and apps in the app area.

There are apps that move apps to your SD card.

Sent by my new Droid Razr Maxx

Yeah, I know those "people." My practice has always been to put larger apps and those I don't use as often on the SD card. I'm actually quite satisfied with the stock launcher on the Razr but I'll see just how annoying this becomes.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Curious, have you taken the .181 update yet? Just wondering if that reintroduced the issue possibly...

sent from my phone

OP
jsh1120

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Curious, have you taken the .181 update yet? Just wondering if that reintroduced the issue possibly...

sent from my phone

I have downloaded the .181 update but the problem preceded it and the update hasn't fixed it.