Froyo - apps on SD

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

One the second frf84b release of froyo.

What bothers me is an app on Sd issue, not sure if it is the froyo, or ADW, which I use.

If I move an app to SD, and it has an shortcut on screen, I lose it's "Icon", get a standard android green icon on the reboot.

I also get the same icon in the shortcut drawer in ADW, plus hitting it there will give me a msg that the app isnt installed on the phone. Other screen shortcuts work, it is just the change in icon.

Thoughts?

If ADW, is it known? :)

wricks

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it might be a FroYo issue. I have mine set to install to the SD by default. If I find that I need to move it to the phone, the shortcut will work until the next reboot. Then, as you said, it tells me that that app is not installed. I use LauncherPro and I can just delete the "icon", open app drawer, long press on the app and drag it to the screen to correct the problem. 2.2 seems to remember where it originaly installed the app until it is forced to relearn. My only issue now is having to restart LauncherPro after a reboot to get all the icons back.

OP
RW-1

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I was hoping this is a launcher, not froyo issue.

Would kinda defeat the purpose of apps to SD to begin with eh?

Anyone stock froyo to confirm?

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
All you have to do is restart the launcher. LauncherPro can do this (I use it), not sure about ADW. What I'm guessing is that the launcher loads in to memory before the OS can mount and read the SD card for apps stored there. Since the launcher is already up and running it throws the generic android icon in place for the home screen shortcuts and when you try to use them it doesn't know where the app is so says it's not installed.

I don't know if the same thing happens with the stock 2.2 launcher as I haven't used it.

Boot the phone....wait.....restart the launcher and all your apps, homescreen shortcuts, etc.. will be back.

Restarting LauncherPro and all my icons return to normal and I can run them just fine.

OP
RW-1

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey Tcrews,

I'll try that now ... just a sec ....

Update: Yep, that's it! Force stopped ADW and then it reloaded and everything was there.

Good to know, wonder how the stock launcher deals with this or if it occurs with it as well. I mean, you would figure they would look at that if one is moving all they can to the SD ....

I'm happy now, don't reboot that often, but now I can move everything I can over ... :)

Last edited:

wingsabr

Reaction score
I think it might be a FroYo issue. I have mine set to install to the SD by default. If I find that I need to move it to the phone, the shortcut will work until the next reboot. Then, as you said, it tells me that that app is not installed. I use LauncherPro and I can just delete the "icon", open app drawer, long press on the app and drag it to the screen to correct the problem. 2.2 seems to remember where it originaly installed the app until it is forced to relearn. My only issue now is having to restart LauncherPro after a reboot to get all the icons back.
how do you set this as default?

modified

Reaction score
Problem is (for me anyways) that when an app is on the sd card it tends to launch and run much slower. It's tolerable for some applications but not all.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Problem is (for me anyways) that when an app is on the sd card it tends to launch and run much slower. It's tolerable for some applications but not all.
How can it run much slower when apps run from memory?

I can understand it may taking longer to launch as it's loading in to memory from the SD Card.....

Personally, I haven't noticed much of a difference in launching apps either installed on internal storage or externally on the SD Card. I have the majority of my apps on the SD card now too. The only things I keep internally are widgets, launcherpro, setcpu and whatever refuses to install to SD.

wricks

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
how do you set this as default?

I use BB script helper. Under apps2sd select apps2sd -e (where e is external, i is internal). That should install everything you download to the sd card.