How to get sd app widgets back after reboot?

speedfreeq

Reaction score
Not an uncommon problem, but I'm not understanding the process. Like many, I've moved most of my apps to the sd card, but after every reboot, the corresponding widgets are generic android icons. The apps all still fire up, so the registrations are still valid, but the widgets for the most part I have to trash them and pull them back out of the drawer... is there a terminal script to fix this problem? Or a folder that I need to move back into system?

-from my 1.2 GHz PEv3.5 Droid

Riley

Reaction score
Not an uncommon problem, but I'm not understanding the process. Like many, I've moved most of my apps to the sd card, but after every reboot, the corresponding widgets are generic android icons. The apps all still fire up, so the registrations are still valid, but the widgets for the most part I have to trash them and pull them back out of the drawer... is there a terminal script to fix this problem? Or a folder that I need to move back into system?

Only thing I know is to move anything you use widgets for back to your phones internal memory. I just make sure that any live wallpapers, or apps that i use widgets for are in the internal memory. Once you move them back, you'll have to reboot and reset the widgets.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Anything that needs to be immediately avaialble on reboot (or while the SD card is mounted to a PC) should not be on the SD card. Pay attention next time you restart and you'll see when the SD card is available (look at the notification bar). It takes some time.

OP
speedfreeq

speedfreeq

Reaction score

Only thing I know is to move anything you use widgets for back to your phones internal memory. I just make sure that any live wallpapers, or apps that i use widgets for are in the internal memory. Once you move them back, you'll have to reboot and reset the widgets.

maybe i'm not using the correct language. i guess it's the shortcut icons (not widgets) that're jacked up. seems like there ought to be a way to tell the OS "the thumbnails for these icons for these apps are now on the SD card," or something. seems stupid i can't have my homescreen icons come back after a reboot if the apps are on the SD card. i mean - my PC will put my desktop back the way it was if i reboot it...how much space would it take for a file that remembers that configuration, really?

what's weird is that some of the icons come back just fine, leading me to believe i've done something out of order in all my backing up/moving/tweaking, like it's looking for the icons/thumbs in the wrong place.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I think it is an uncommon problem. I've never seen any of my apps move to the SD card come up with a generic Android icon. Now that you've made it clear that you're not just talking about widgets I would say there is another issue here.

I really don't know what to tell you about this. My first thought unfortunately is a wipe of cache and data, but I can't say with any certainty that it will help.

OP
speedfreeq

speedfreeq

Reaction score
thank you hookbill. i will look into data and cache wipe - if i have to re-set-up the homescreen one last time, that would be fine.

in the meantime, it appears it may be an issue with Zeam launcher - it just force-closed & when it restarted, all shortcut icons have returned...

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would definitely try a different launcher like Launcher Pro or ADW - there is also a terminal script that stops redraw by about 95% - it might be helpful in this situation

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here -
In a terminal type

su and enter
Then type echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop and enter
Then type reboot and enter

Make sure the spaces are where you see them...for example after the two > there is a space before the /

OP
speedfreeq

speedfreeq

Reaction score
Here -
In a terminal type

su and enter
Then type echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop and enter
Then type reboot and enter

Make sure the spaces are where you see them...for example after the two > there is a space before the /

thanks for that, but i've done that a few times now, almost every time i flash a new ROM :D

i've tried all the other (free) launchers, and i like how lightweight the Zeam is; got turned onto it when i was running MetiCkOne, and i guess i've gotten used to it.

i just had this problem come up recently when i moved ALL my apps over to the SDcard. it now seems they may be related...no (or minimal) redraws from the "fix" would prevent it from, well, redrawing, the icons after a reboot, maybe?

msavage

Reaction score
Any one get an answer to this. I have a similar issue. First let me say I am new to android I have a DESIRE HD. I had a WINMO before and put custom roms on it so I know some things but not to much on android yet.

I have the problem where I create folder and put my apps in them. Any of the apps that I move to my sd card lose the icons when ever I have to reboot. Granted I don't reboot very often but its a pain when I do. the icons go back to the default ones that look like the market place app.

The only way to fix this is to remove the apps from my folders and put them back in.

Any way to keep this from happening or fix it easily when it does?

MrWilliams

Reaction score
Any one get an answer to this. I have a similar issue. First let me say I am new to android I have a DESIRE HD. I had a WINMO before and put custom roms on it so I know some things but not to much on android yet.

I have the problem where I create folder and put my apps in them. Any of the apps that I move to my sd card lose the icons when ever I have to reboot. Granted I don't reboot very often but its a pain when I do. the icons go back to the default ones that look like the market place app.

The only way to fix this is to remove the apps from my folders and put them back in.

Any way to keep this from happening or fix it easily when it does?

I have this exact problem. It's not a major problem, just an annoyance. A solution would be nice. EDIT: I am using launcher pro plus.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App