Looks like Droid X may be rooted but has encrypted bootloader...

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
i wonder how many people will change their minds if the x is really locked down as bad as its beeing said

I'm sure the majority of people interested in the X don't even know what any of this means and therefore don't care about it. If it would actually put a dent in sales, I bet Motorola wouldn't lock it down. I still don't understand why they wouldn't just leave it up to the consumer. I'm paying retail for this phone and feel like I should be able to do whatever I want with it.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
i wonder how many people will change their minds if the x is really locked down as bad as its beeing said

Not even a concern of mine.... X all the way!

tazzpatriot

Reaction score
im gettin one also ,yea id like it to be rooted , i had no idea about the root process untill a few months after i bought my eris , so its no big deal to me lol ive just been readin alot of threads and other places of this turnin people away from the x and i was just wondering if it was really a big deal cuz it aint to me lol

jaysonstaurt

Reaction score

I'm sure the majority of people interested in the X don't even know what any of this means and therefore don't care about it. If it would actually put a dent in sales, I bet Motorola wouldn't lock it down. I still don't understand why they wouldn't just leave it up to the consumer. I'm paying retail for this phone and feel like I should be able to do whatever I want with it.

I still plan on getting one as well. Has a full retail price even been listed yet? I'd sure love to get a preorder in.....

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have rooted and tried almost every rom there is for both the Droid and the Eris. I've overclocked both, themed both, etc, etc. I love messing with my phones and I'll miss that if it never gets rooted or unlocked but I'm still going to get the X. It is faster stock than my Droid was overclocked, at least from the videos. Overclocking/ROMing a Droid won't add any more ram, an fm radio, hdmi, or a nicer camera to it. :(
I still plan on getting one as well. Has a full retail price even been listed yet? I'd sure love to get a preorder in.....
Full retail is $569 I think and there are no pre-orders. Some VZW stores are taking "appointments" to get one and some Best Buys have "non guaranteed" pre-orders going.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'm passing on the X but if I was considering it I this would kill it for me.

Gaining root access with these Android devices is a HUGE part of the fun of owning them.

Wait and see until it gets released to the masses and some others get their hands on trying to crack it before deciding this as fact.

With that said there's a strong possibility this is true though. The Backflip by Moto comes to mind.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3

Chillson

Reaction score

Gaining root access with these Android devices is a HUGE part of the fun of owning them.

Wait and see until it gets released to the masses and some others get their hands on trying to crack it before deciding this as fact.

With that said there's a strong possibility this is true though. The Backflip by Moto comes to mind.

And why are you passing on the X? Are you waiting for the 2ghz phone?

OP
just4747

just4747

Reaction score
Tweets between myself and Cyanogen:

@cyanogen Hey, are you guys going to be attempting to root/load custom roms to the X at all? Didn't know if you were going to try X stuff

@guts311 eventually, the DroidX I have right now isn't mine to keep though

@cyanogen Ahh I see. All a matter of getting one to hack away at :p I didn't see any mention of X in your stream, we all hope you guys can!!.

@cyanogen And whats the word so far on encryption and the loader? @mrweeeedbirdman seems to think it's locked down too tight for custom roms

No other replies yet....

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

It just doesn't work like that. VZW doesn't WANT us rooted/using custom software. They want every DroidX to be the same. Motorola doesn't have a whole lot of choice if they want VZW to offer the device. It probably doesn't matter much to M, they don't have to support it.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
It just doesn't work like that. VZW doesn't WANT us rooted/using custom software. They want every DroidX to be the same. Motorola doesn't have a whole lot of choice if they want VZW to offer the device. It probably doesn't matter much to M, they don't have to support it.
If it was all Verizon's doing then why did they lock down the Milestone and the Backflip? Moto doesn't want anyone messing with their phones either. I think the Droid made them realize it. :(

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score

Well I understand that point of view, but this is still my phone. I'm not renting or leasing it from them. Actually, in this case I'm not even getting a discounted rate for extending my contract.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

And why are you passing on the X? Are you waiting for the 2ghz phone?
Yeah I'm waiting for the "monster" : ) and I'm content with the Moto Droid right now. When I have to have something then I know it's time to move on to a new device and I haven't had that urge yet.

Don't get me wrong I can appreciate the Droid X as a great device but it's not enough to get me to blow an upgrade on.

GrillMouster

Reaction score
I get the whole "this is my device; I paid for it; I should be able to do whatever I want with it" viewpoint. I agree with it, as long as those of us rooting (myself included) acknowledge that we're voiding the warranty and we take full responsibility for anything that goes wrong because of rooting.

I think they don't want people rooting the phones, screwing them up, flashing them back to stock, then trying to get them replaced under warranty or insurance. Even if Moto doesn't have to deal with insurance claims, it still affect them when reports show that they have a high number of claims on their devices. It makes it look like they're releasing crappy, defective products and it could steer potential customers and carriers away from their future products.

As for whether I'll get the X, I might get one for wife, but I'm waiting for the beasts coming out later this year or early next year. I root primarily for overclocking. If I had a 2Ghz beast I wouldn't need to overclock. I don't need to theme; I'm content with the ability to choose my wallpaper and I already have the ability to use custom icons and launchers without rooting.

Last edited: