Root has arrived for Droid X

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Root has arrived for Droid X (Update: Video added!)

droid-x-ih1.jpg

Update 7/23 @4:31PM EST: Before rooting, you must consult the "Utlimate Wrong Doings" list. If not, you will brick your device. And we are not responsible for bricked Droid X's.

Update 7/22 @ 3:08PM EST: Video added (thanks to Rainabba over at Alldroid!)

Somewhere in the world a Motorola executive is cringing. Because no matter how protective corporations are of their phones, they are no match to the clever folks in the Android dev community. In less than one week since launch, the Droid X had succumbed to the community, and root was achieved. Thanks to Birdman and others, the root method has been simplified for the average user with some ADB knowledge, and is now fully available for consumption. Basically, you will be running a hacked script, and then pushing su and SuperUser.apk via ADB.

Check out this thread for specific instructions and necessary files: We haz Rootz!

Simple, right? Get going, Droid X enthusiasts! Now we must stress, this method in no way affects the encrypted (aka eFused, locked, explosive) bootloader, so as of now, custom ROMs and kernels are still unavailable. There is no ETA on a cracked bootloader, but I'm sure these guys are working very hard to do just that. But for now, enjoy your root. Get rid of some of that pesky bloatware that Motorola has so graciously installed for you. And show off su to your friends in terminal! Side note, Birdman is also working on the "Milestone" version of overclocking, expect that shortly!

Follow this thread for updates and support: We haz Rootz!

Follow Birdman for rooting/bootloader updates: http://stevenbird.info , @mrweeeedbirdman

Video Step-by-Step Tutorial by Rainabba (Alldroid.org):

[video=youtube;yLT1DX4N96A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLT1DX4N96A&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Bootloader is still locked down. When that's cracked this will be news. The wait continues.

Sent from my Droid

LatinaC09

Reaction score
interesting though that they managed to do this in less than a week

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
this is still a big deal when people were saying this was gonna take a long long time

yes the bootloader will come like this will but hey cant we just enjoy this one right now and rub it in motos face? :)

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
Step 1 - successful.

Now lets see how smart the hacking community REALLY is :D

I bet the Milestone hackers are watching X devs verrrrrrrrrrrrry closely to see what kind of success they have.

carol1348

Reaction score
Root is grt news , but bootloader is going to be tough. read about 3630 chip : bootloader prot. is in hardware this not just about smartphones. 128 bit

cj1896

Reaction score
Root is grt news , but bootloader is going to be tough. read about 3630 chip : bootloader prot. is in hardware this not just about smartphones. 128 bit

I thought I read somewhere that this was a 1024 bit encryption. If that is the case then it may be cracked sometime in the next 20 years or so, but not while the phone is actually useful.

GrillMouster

Reaction score
Does this mean that we can overclock, or is the bootloader requried for that as well (because you'd need a custom kernel)?

I imagine this means that some apps requiring root, like Titanium Backup, SetCPU (although its usefulness will depend on the answer to my first question above) will work.

DigiK

Reaction score
+1 on that, I see no reason to root at this time.[/QUOTE

Really? How about:

Full file system access
Remove phone bloatware
Mobile Defense as system app
Titanium Backup
Autokiller (tune Android memory management)
Autostarts (one of the few market apps that REALLY prevents system apps from starting)
Drocap

Seems like plenty of great reasons to me. :icon_ banana:

C3PIO

Reaction score
This news make me really happy even when I dont have a dx and Im not planning to get one , but I enjoy a lot the punch in the face given to motorola by this clever boys. I will never understand why this corporate people act so stupid ,is like to sale a computer with windows and with no administrator rights because at the end this is what a droid is, a small computer with a radio to make and receive calls

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
+1 on that, I see no reason to root at this time.[/QUOTE

Really? How about:

Full file system access
Remove phone bloatware
Mobile Defense as system app
Titanium Backup
Autokiller (tune Android memory management)
Autostarts (one of the few market apps that REALLY prevents system apps from starting)
Drocap

Seems like plenty of great reasons to me. :icon_ banana:

Custom ROMs might not be likely, but running as root does have it uses right now. Drocap is one I came to use alot on my rooted Droid. I can now move my back up files from HR Battle 3D to my X. I can try the Low Volume Hack now...

Who knows maybe the Milestone and X folks can put their heads together and find a way to run custom ROMs even with the eFuse, locked bootloader. One getting phone opened up a lil helps the other phone. I'm pretty sure the progress ppl made with the Milestone is a starting point for ppl trying to unlock the X.

nerdkill

Reaction score
will wireless tether work? i really don't care about all of the different rom's. to be honest it's become more of a nuisance than anything.