Locked bootloaders: what's all the hubbub over?

audioman42

Reaction score
The Droid X has a locked bootloader, but that doesn't seem to be hurting the hackers. Users can still root, overclock, & install themes & ROMs. Does a locked bootloader make things harder for the devs? Am I missing something?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Droid X has a locked bootloader, but that doesn't seem to be hurting the hackers. Users can still root, overclock, & install themes & ROMs. Does a locked bootloader make things harder for the devs? Am I missing something?

It makes it extremely harder on the dev and the user, and limits what can be done through custom roms, kernels, and recoveries.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

rgreene1971

Reaction score

It makes it extremely harder on the dev and the user, and limits what can be done through custom roms, kernels, and recoveries.

What can not been done to a Droid X with a locked bootloader versus one unlocked? I know the droid x right now can not be unlocked. From what I have seen so far and have done with my droid x, I am not sure having an unlocked bootloader is really needed? I have rooted my phone, done the wireless tether, installed custom themes, changed roms, what more is there? If it is only to make it easier on the devs of these custom roms then I really dont see the advantage.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
I am with you, audioman42, I have asked on a different forum what the difference between a launcher and ROM are and been told the Launcher is like hitting the Start button on Windows and the ROM is like the operating system.

Why would I want to change my operating system? What do I gain from it?

rgreene1971

Reaction score
Loading up a Gingerbread kernel.

I will get that when it is released from google. That is still not an advantage to having a unlocked bootloader. I can already download the keyboard and the media player which is full of bugs and force close issues, so what advantage is that? more frustration?

I dont know, maybe I am just to dumb to see the advantage?

Desicrator

Reaction score
Did moto send out the crew to our forums?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

I will get that when it is released from google. That is still not an advantage to having a unlocked bootloader. I can already download the keyboard and the media player which is full of bugs and force close issues, so what advantage is that? more frustration?

you won't get it if the manufacturer/carrier doesn't release it. and with a locked bootloader you'll never get it. simple as that.

the thing a locked bootloader prevents you from doing is updating to the next OS version. that's a big thing though because you'll be stuck on froyo forever if verizon doesn't send out an ota.

rgreene1971

Reaction score

you won't get it if the manufacturer/carrier doesn't release it. and with a locked bootloader you'll never get it. simple as that.

the thing a locked bootloader prevents you from doing is updating to the next OS version. that's a big thing though because you'll be stuck on froyo forever if verizon doesn't send out an ota.

Thank You! Now that is a better reason and a more useful explanation. Unlike other forum members who do not want to educate and rifle off smart ass comments *cough* Desicrator *cough*

Desicrator

Reaction score
Thank You! Now that is a better reason and a more useful explanation. Unlike other forum members who do not want to educate and rifle off smart ass comments *cough* Desicrator *cough*

Sorry all this bootloader talk the last few days has gotten me all fired up lol. And i was sent from my phone would explain short answer.

Sorry wasn't trying to be jerk. And it was more a kinda joking thing lol i guess lack of Smileys makes that hard to show :)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
audioman42

audioman42

Reaction score
so you're saying that even if the official droid x gingerbread rom is leaked early, droid x users won't be able to upgrade early like og droid users were able to do with froyo?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
so you're saying that even if the official droid x gingerbread rom is leaked early, droid x users won't be able to upgrade early like og droid users were able to do with froyo?

Correct. You won't get gingerbread until motorola/vzw gives it to you. The gb source has been out since december...there are zero dx gb "roms"...if motorola decides not to give dx users gb you're stuck on froyo until you get a new phone

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

If it gets leaked from moto then yeah we can load it up. Og users however are able to jimmy together working roms made from the source released by google, not the leaked official update from moto. Which is why og users are already using mostly functional gb roms.

tappin and a talkin

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

If it gets leaked from moto then yeah we can load it up. Og users however are able to jimmy together working roms made from the source released by google, not the leaked official update from moto. Which is why og users are already using mostly functional gb roms.

tappin and a talkin

How would you change the kernel without the bootloader keys? You're talking about update.zipping a leaked gb ota? I don't think you could that...maybe I'm wrong

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

tappin and a talkin

How would you change the kernel without the bootloader keys? You're talking about update.zipping a leaked gb ota? I don't think you could that...maybe I'm wrong

I may be mistaken but I thought previous leaked updates had indeed updated the kernal and bootloader

tappin and a talkin