Locked bootloader question

kjjb0204

Reaction score
Sorry for the newb question. Searching online about the Motorola locked bootloader only turns up articles stating it makes loading custom Roms impossible. But I see plenty of Roms for droids, so what am I missing? Is it just the kernel that cant be changed?

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

sc4fpse

Reaction score
The original Motorola Droid did not have an unlocked bootloader. That's probably the biggest reason why development really boomed for it. Every Motorola device after that has had a locked bootloader.

If I understand correctly, custom roms are still possible to a certain degree with a locked bootloader. They're just in a pain in the butt, unlike with a locked bootloader. And unless you have an unlocked bootloader, you cannot change the kernel of the phone to over/underclock it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :)

PalmerCurling

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Og Droid had an unlocked bootloader, subsequent devices do not.

Motorola signs their bootloader and kernel with encryption keys- very, very strong encryption keys. If the kernel isn't signed, it won't boot. Current roms are really just glorified themes. It allows for clock and voltage change, but not completely different kernels.

Aliasxerog has developed a method to boot a custom kernel, however no drivers exist to actually make it end user useful just yet.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

MrKleen

Reaction score
Og Droid had an unlocked bootloader, subsequent devices do not.

Motorola signs their bootloader and kernel with encryption keys- very, very strong encryption keys. If the kernel isn't signed, it won't boot. Current roms are really just glorified themes. It allows for clock and voltage change, but not completely different kernels.

Aliasxerog has developed a method to boot a custom kernel, however no drivers exist to actually make it end user useful just yet.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

I hope to soon hear that there are developers helping him with this project.