Lock / Power Button Issue

zfly9

Reaction score
The top button (to turn off the screen or if you hold it gives you power options) is having problems.

Sometimes when I click it, it doesn't register.

Sometimes it will do nothing, or it will give me the power options without me holding it. Sometimes I can't get the screen to ever turn off.

Anyone else with this problem?

DMac

Reaction score
I just posted in the tech section about my droid not turning on. Maybe it's the same problem.

nuclearbier

Reaction score
The top button (to turn off the screen or if you hold it gives you power options) is having problems.

Sometimes it will do nothing, or it will give me the power options without me holding it. Sometimes I can't get the screen to ever turn off.

I have this same problem as well. It didn't start however until I installed Bugless Beast 7.4. Any other solutions other than taking it back or uninstalling BB? Of course I will have to return to stock before visiting the big V.

Beavis2000

Reaction score
I have had this problem on three moto droids now. I can make it go away by doing a factory reset and using a different gmail account. but if I add my primary gmail account the screen lock stops working. I tried uninstalling ALL of my aps and letting the phone sit overnight to update with Gmail then doing a factory reset. I have succesfully lost all of my apps, txt messages, and settings but have managed to hang onto the VERY annoying problem of no screen lock. Verizon has been of mixed help also. One time they say it's new the next they say it's a known issue and a fix is on the way, the third time they were back to "we haven't heard of this before". They did give me a phone number for Motorola tech support but I haven't had a chance to call them yet. on the second one they said that android 2.1 will be coming out VERy soon but the fix will not be included but will come very shortly after.
It is however re-assuring to me to hear that someone else is having the same problem that I have been dealing wth. please share a fix here if you find one!

ledridge

Reaction score
so this must be a setting that is being saved at google, which means it should be able to be manualy adjusted if we could get a clue of where to look.

nuclearbier

Reaction score

For me the cause and solution was a program called "Spare Parts" (Only for rooted phones). There is a setting under the "End Button Behavior" header where you can choose one of the following: Nothing, Go To Home, Go To Sleep, or Home, Then Sleep. After installing this application it had the "Nothing" option selected. Once I set it to "Go To Sleep" everything went back to normal. Now when I press my power button it turns off my screen. So if you have the application "Spare Parts" installed that is most likely the cause. Not even a problem really just a settings change.

Hope this helps!

Nuc.

Beavis2000

Reaction score

For me the cause and solution was a program called "Spare Parts" (Only for rooted phones). There is a setting under the "End Button Behavior" header where you can choose one of the following: Nothing, Go To Home, Go To Sleep, or Home, Then Sleep. After installing this application it had the "Nothing" option selected. Once I set it to "Go To Sleep" everything went back to normal. Now when I press my power button it turns off my screen. So if you have the application "Spare Parts" installed that is most likely the cause. Not even a problem really just a settings change.

Hope this helps!

Nuc.

Nuc you are my hero! Spare parts was the culprit! I had it installed for a short time then uninstalled. Apparently I had it for long enough to mess up my phone. I installed and adjusted the end button option and it works like new! Than k you so much!

jamesam

Reaction score
Thanks AGAIN!

Seconding the thanks-- I have been fighting this annoyance for months! What a relief!

D Roid

Reaction score

Hope this helps!

Nuc.

Nuc you are my hero! Spare parts was the culprit! I had it installed for a short time then uninstalled. Apparently I had it for long enough to mess up my phone. I installed and adjusted the end button option and it works like new! Than k you so much!
Nuc, you're my hero too!! I got annoyed at Cyanogen mod for giving me a ROM w/o the ability to save me some battery. Sorry Cyanogen mod and thanks Nuc

chayes627

Reaction score

Same here fixed it

Neupy

Reaction score
Same problem...

I just started having this problem tonight. I think its a dead button not a software issue tho. Is there a way to map the keys differently? Like use the camera button for lock/unlock? Its not a real big issue for me but now im wondering how ill turn the phone on if I have to pull the battery for any reason. Any ideas?

DirtDiva18

Reaction score
I am also having a problem with my lock button. It stopped working about 3 weeks ago and then worked again. Now it's back to not working. I don't have any of those apps that you guys mentioned. I guess I can try taking it back to Verizon. Just glad i'm not the only one with this problem, guess i didn't do anything to make it happen!