Power button won't lock phone anymore?

amychica

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just started having a small issue with the power button on my Motorola Droid this morning.

Whenever I get a new email or txt msg, I usually read it quickly and then hit the power button to lock the phone and turn the screen back off. Now when I hit the power button, nothing happens. The screen stays lit up until it times out. If I hold the power button, I still get the normal Silent / Airplane / Power menu.

If I wait until the phone times out and locks itself, tapping the power button lights it up and shows the lock screen as usual. At that point, tapping the power button again WILL turn the screen off. Only when the phone is unlocked does the power button stop locking/turning the screen off.

Any ideas? Is this a setting somewhere? Thanks for your help.

J

JohnDroid

Have you tried a simple battery pull/reset to see if it will go back to it's normal behaviour?

OP
A

amychica

Reaction score
Hi, yes, I have tried powering the phone off and on a few times to see if that would help. I don't think I installed any news apps before this started happening. If anything, I may have removed a couple apps.

I'm considering resetting to factory defaults, but figured I would ask here before I go through the trouble of configuring all my apps and settings again.

love-my-droid

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same problem. Have tried removing the bat but didn't help. ?????

OP
A

amychica

Reaction score
FYI, resetting to factory defaults didn't solve the problem. I still can't lock my phone or turn the screen off with the power button.

I guess my next course of action is to swap it for a new phone?

==========

Edit:

I found the solution here - https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/21140

Yesterday I had read that Spare Parts might have been the problem, but I thought that uninstalling the app should have fixed the problem. Turns out I had to reinstall Spare Parts, go to End Button Behavior, change it back to "Go to sleep."

Thank you everyone. :)

Anomander

Reaction score
Poor apps seems to be the most damaging problem we all have:mad:
Yea, I have to wonder what percentage of bad apps make people think their phone does not work right. Mentally I try to keep track of the apps I use and know that work good so if my phone does start acting up I will start removing some of the ones I have recently installed to see if that fixes the problems. *Knock on wood* I have had pretty good success with the apps I have downloaded so I am very happy with my Droid functioning like it should.

Reaction score
Obviously Swapping the phones would resolve the issue. But it looks like a software problem to me. If it was hardware the button wouldnt be working all. I would go to Verizon and have the repair Lady/Guy look at it And/or Google it. I can't tell you how many times ive ran into a problem with something and the solution was fixed by me looking up the problem and someone find a solution online. I'll keep a look out though, Good Luck!

love-my-droid

Reaction score
Safe Mode

I tried to boot up in safe mode to see if an app was causing the phone not to lock but that didn't work also. If I understand correctly you hold the menu button on the pull out keyboard while holding the power button until after the eyeball and the phone shakes.

prime2134

Reaction score
FYI, resetting to factory defaults didn't solve the problem. I still can't lock my phone or turn the screen off with the power button.

==========

Edit:

Yesterday I had read that Spare Parts might have been the problem, but I thought that uninstalling the app should have fixed the problem. Turns out I had to reinstall Spare Parts, go to End Button Behavior, change it back to "Go to sleep."

Thanks you, Thank you, finally got this problem fixed. This worked great!!

t.mcbride5

Reaction score
Thankyou!!!!!

I was getting shuffled around Verizons customer service. I knew eventually someone would figure it out. I told three people who had the same problem and they all are thankful. Google is the s***.

loop4zil

Reaction score

==========

Edit:

Thank you for finding this solution!