Light Bleeding from Back/Menu/Home Buttons???

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmace001

Reaction score
I'm noticing that there is a line of light escaping from the buttons on the bottom of the phone onto the screen. If I look at the phone dead on, I can't see it, but if you angle the phone just a little bit, you can see that extra light shining onto the screen. I bought the phone yesterday and took it back today because of it, and they said that the seal had separated inside the screen. Problem is, the new phone does it too.

Anyone else notice this?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Come on seriously. Not to be an arse but that's just nuts. All the devices do this. Its not hurting anything its light : )

The screen is sealed fine so stop taking them back. Its normal.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Come on seriously. Not to be an arse but that's just nuts. All the devices do this. Its not hurting anything its light : )

OP
G

gmace001

Reaction score

so you see a bright line of light going along the bottom of your screen? I think it's perfectly acceptable for me to ask whether this is normal or a defect, especially given the price tag.

OP
G

gmace001

Reaction score
This is what I'm seeing, but it's actually a lot brighter than the camera captured. I only ask this because all of the videos I've seen on youtube don't demonstrate this line of light. I've seen hands-on reviews in the dark where you don't see that line, so I'm just a bit concerned.

IMG_1913.jpg
IMG_1912.jpg

tablatronix

Reaction score
Mine does that too.

Those lights really suck when you have auto brightness on and try to watch movies and video in the dark. Until there is a hack to turn those lights off or adjust the ambient light sensors sensitivity I find it helpful to turn the brightness all the way down and that allowed them to turn off.

zzyxer

Reaction score
dudeeee! i have the same problem! i just bought my phone last night, but the technie at best buy dropped it on the ground (carpet) and just picked it up and ignored it while working on setting it up for me. i really wanted a different one after that but didnt say anything lol. then i noticed the light bleeding around the screen edges and the screen seems to be a little bit more to the right than the left inside the glass.. i thought it mightve been from that?? please PM me and tell me this is normal... :reddroid:

This is what I'm seeing, but it's actually a lot brighter than the camera captured. I only ask this because all of the videos I've seen on youtube don't demonstrate this line of light. I've seen hands-on reviews in the dark where you don't see that line, so I'm just a bit concerned.

IMG_1913.jpg
IMG_1912.jpg

mark729

Reaction score
mine does that too. it looks like defective...
not looking good and annyong me alot whenever watching video.
droid.jpg

Furobins

Reaction score
Soft Key Backlight Leaking

Hey everyone,

I just exchanged my first Droid for another one due to random reboots and call quality issues. My newer one does not have this problem, however I noticed that the white backlighting seems to leak from the bottom. Also, the menu soft key is light much brighter than the other keys. It is somewhat difficult to tell in the pictures, but it is quite obvious in person. I went back to the store and they said this is perfectly normal, which I think is full of crap. I was curious if any one else had this problem.

img3017ki.jpg

img3020j.jpg

img3022.jpg

img3022.jpg

Last edited:

darreno1

Reaction score
Oh no, you need to plug that light bleed up. Hurry and call Verizon tech support about that. If you let it bleed like that for too long, the screen will get dimmer and eventually go black as ALL the light would have leaked out. Also that light leaking everywhere isn't good for your health or the environment.

Wolfwise

Reaction score
Menu Buttons

Yup mine does it too. Pics look just like my phone. Before the upgrade you could actually get the home screens to turn off with the auto brightness off. Now they stay on inb the dark. Hoping someone writes an app to turn them off manually. I dont think its anything other than a design flaw. Guess the testers never tried the phone in the dark. You get used to it after awhile and there is the hope for an app in the future.

Furobins

Reaction score
My apologies, I just found the other thread. Thanks for the move.

Anyways, I am almost certain it's something wrong with a batch of phones. My first phone I purchased definitely did not have this problem. However, the Best Buy rep I was speaking to (I had originally bought it from him also) showed me his own phone, which had the same issue. He also opened up two other new ones, both of which also had it. It may be a quality control issue.

Regardless, yes it is a minor issue, but for those of us who have it, it's worrisome. It's significant enough that it shouldn't happen to an expensive piece of tech we purchased and continue to use on contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.