[Liberty's Demise] Should we have any idea of our future?

Jubakuba

Reaction score
I know many of you would argue against this...
But I think the Liberty team could do a MUCH better job of keeping us informed of what is going on with ROM development.
Even back when kejar was on the team, we had much more insight into what would be coming in the next few days/weeks.

I personally find it a little bit demeaning to have to beg the dev's for information on future releases and what might be happening in the near future.

It seems to me that all of the other Rom's that are out get a great deal of developer support; and the community appreciates it greatly.
We can all agree that Liberty is a stellar rom, and I don't deny that. I appreciate every ounce of work that Jrummy and the team put into OUR happiness with our phones.
BUT...I think (especially if) you are going to charge for the most up-to-date version...the community should know if they have any hope for a new release...any info on bug fixes...and the like.
I'm not really trying to bash the team...but I AM calling them out on this.

I, personally, would love the opportunity to be the official spokesperson for Liberty/Justice/Rom Toolbox.
If any of the Liberty developers stumble upon this thread...please keep that in mind.
I don't expect payment or anything like that...I would just appreciate any insider information that I could promptly spread throughout the forum/twitter/email if need be.

I understand that you guys are busy and these roms may not be your LIVES; but sitting in anticipation only makes the weary seek other roms.
I'm considering the future of team Liberty here...I already see the forum dying out. And it's kind of depressing...as I see the rom doing just the same if we don't have the fan-base as high as it once was.

Just my two cents.
Feel free to comment.

stealthychief

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I know many of you would argue against this...
But I think the Liberty team could do a MUCH better job of keeping us informed of what is going on with ROM development.
Even back when kejar was on the team, we had much more insight into what would be coming in the next few days/weeks.

I personally find it a little bit demeaning to have to beg the dev's for information on future releases and what might be happening in the near future.

It seems to me that all of the other Rom's that are out get a great deal of developer support; and the community appreciates it greatly.
We can all agree that Liberty is a stellar rom, and I don't deny that. I appreciate every ounce of work that Jrummy and the team put into OUR happiness with our phones.
BUT...I think (especially if) you are going to charge for the most up-to-date version...the community should know if they have any hope for a new release...any info on bug fixes...and the like.
I'm not really trying to bash the team...but I AM calling them out on this.

I, personally, would love the opportunity to be the official spokesperson for Liberty/Justice/Rom Toolbox.
If any of the Liberty developers stumble upon this thread...please keep that in mind.
I don't expect payment or anything like that...I would just appreciate any insider information that I could promptly spread throughout the forum/twitter/email if need be.

I understand that you guys are busy and these roms may not be your LIVES; but sitting in anticipation only makes the weary seek other roms.
I'm considering the future of team Liberty here...I already see the forum dying out. And it's kind of depressing...as I see the rom doing just the same if we don't have the fan-base as high as it once was.

Just my two cents.
Feel free to comment.

I agre with you 100%. I think all Liberty users at least deserve to know where development is, that is if there is any at all. Any kind of update on where things are at would be appreciated. As much as I have love Liberty it's becoming more and more tempting to switch to another other ROM for good if Liberty is going to be this slow on development. Also as someone who enjoys making themes, I dont want to spend a lot of time on a quality theme for a ROM that is losing support and users daily because of the reasons you mentioned. Hopefully we will hear something soon..

Last edited:

JWellington

Reaction score
Deserve? It's not like we pay them to develop roms for us. We should be thankful for what we get. That being said, thanks liberty team for your hard work.

Swyped from my DROIDX from Tapatalk.

stealthychief

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Deserve? It's not like we pay them to develop roms for us. We should be thankful for what we get. That being said, thanks liberty team for your hard work.

You're right we don't deserve anything. All I'm saying is a certain level of communication is needed so users understand where development is headed. Liberty used to be this way and It would be awesome if it returned to that way.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Last edited:

JWellington

Reaction score
I understand.....it's a quality that is tide within the industry though...it's hard to develop and do pr simultaneously. I just think about waiting for game patches as an example, but we pay for that so it's different. 2nd iNit seems to be the wave of the future though.

D3fault121

Reaction score
I am pretty sure JRummy has been focusing more on universal app development over rom deving lately. That is why Liberty toolbox is now rom toolbox and the new theme picker for aosp roms.

I would like to see an update to Liberty but it is a very solid stable rom so not too much to improve on here.

Sent from my X using Tapatalk.

MendedLogic

Reaction score
Regardless, if you want a high fanbase and possible donations then you need to have communication between all parties involved otherwise its just bad business.. (figuratively speaking) And it makes it hard to trust in them.. I would rather follow a team that's productive and communicative then one who leaves its followers hanging simple as that.. And despite paying for the toolbox I'm tired of waiting on a dead end so moving on...

Koveleski

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.kovdev.com
Well, I'll try to offer some words.

Prior to his leaving, kejar was pretty active in discussions on the forums. Meanwhile, jrummy doesn't really like to do the whole forums thing, which is why you don't see much from him. I took up the role of handling the forums and I know that sensei would also offer assistance where he could.

I used to spend a large chunk of my days reading through every thread on both Liberty forums and attempting to answer questions where I could. For the past two months, I haven't had time to do that which is why you don't see me present. Additionally, there hasn't been much to report. Liberty was pretty close to being at a 1.0 release when 2nd init came around and Jared decided to take the time to make Justice. Shortly thereafter, he decided that toolbox should be a bit more generic and usable on more than one rom (considering he was now going to be supporting two)... thus he began modifying that app.

So rom development has really been on halt while he's been working on his apps. To be honest, there isn't much more that is going to be done with Liberty. The goal for the GB version was to make a rom that would allow you to add/remove blur elements while still offering a fast and stable rom. I know that Justice still needs a lot of work and that will probably see more focus moving forward. Justice, being based on CM, will be put onto more phones over time.

I doubt this really answered anything, but its the best I could do. To be honest, I can't stand the makeover this forum has received and don't really want to use it anymore. You should all register over at RootzWiki as they have a cleaner look AND they support developers (just my opinion that I felt like sharing).

Sorry if I offended anyone with this post.

OP
J

Jubakuba

Reaction score
Well, I'll try to offer some words.

Prior to his leaving, kejar was pretty active in discussions on the forums. Meanwhile, jrummy doesn't really like to do the whole forums thing, which is why you don't see much from him. I took up the role of handling the forums and I know that sensei would also offer assistance where he could.

I used to spend a large chunk of my days reading through every thread on both Liberty forums and attempting to answer questions where I could. For the past two months, I haven't had time to do that which is why you don't see me present. Additionally, there hasn't been much to report. Liberty was pretty close to being at a 1.0 release when 2nd init came around and Jared decided to take the time to make Justice. Shortly thereafter, he decided that toolbox should be a bit more generic and usable on more than one rom (considering he was now going to be supporting two)... thus he began modifying that app.

So rom development has really been on halt while he's been working on his apps. To be honest, there isn't much more that is going to be done with Liberty. The goal for the GB version was to make a rom that would allow you to add/remove blur elements while still offering a fast and stable rom. I know that Justice still needs a lot of work and that will probably see more focus moving forward. Justice, being based on CM, will be put onto more phones over time.

I doubt this really answered anything, but its the best I could do. To be honest, I can't stand the makeover this forum has received and don't really want to use it anymore. You should all register over at RootzWiki as they have a cleaner look AND they support developers (just my opinion that I felt like sharing).

Sorry if I offended anyone with this post.

Understood and agreed on all parts.
Except for the mentality that Liberty is pretty much finished...
I'm still pissed about the Known Bugs thread getting squashed...
But there are a ****ton of bugs still...that are, yes mostly VERY minor...
But, really? Can't we kill some of them off the list at least?

I still can't update to 0.9 since 0.7 was the latest version that had BLUR facebook accounts working...
All of the other accounts are wonky on multiple levels: across all versions of LibGB.
We're still begging to get the lockscreen music controls back...
We still want that ****ing annoying (yes, it is a goddamn annoying thing) lock-slider to line up.
We want reboot in our power-menus.
We want Liberty Customizer to actually work...on ALL counts.
If playing with an implemented piece of a rom causes all hell to break loose, why is it there?
Oh, if you touched that wrong...you'll have to SBF and reload or...alarms stop working...or whatever...don't...ya...just don't touch that.

I know it isn't like you guys just go in and:
"Humn...lockscreen controls...that should be like this [de badoo doop de da tada magic] Ok...and next..."
But some input.
Input would be fantastic.

If admiral "super busy jrummy" can't shoot a tweet saying "Working on ____." every few weeks or some ****...
Well I think we should all drop this rom like it's hot.
Seriously.

I come with a question:
Why are we rooted?
Customization?
Well...we have that here...sort of...it like...may work...sometimes...no, sir...please don't touch that one.

Stability?
I'll give this one a check.
My phone loves liberty as much as I once did.

Frequent Updates?
I'm not going to cry about this one. Motorola takes a year to fluff out each new version of android.
If jrummy and crew take a couple months to pop out an update? So what?

SUPPORT!?
SUPPORT from the people who make our phones run how they run.
I can't call Motorola and ask if they every plan on _____.
But I love that [literally every other dev that I've dealt with] will do this for the people who LOVE and support their work.

</rant>
I'm delirious again.
I already realize what a spoiled piece of crap I must seem like.
But it's whatever.
Maybe I'll feel more eloquent after some rest and can come of with some actual arguments.

Edit:
And KOV...I know you used to do your best at keeping up with us.
And we appreciated it.
My personal beef isn't with you...or jrummy...or anything like that.
I don't even know how much say-so you have or what information you're given...
But I really think someone (maybe yourself) needs to convince the lead developer to try a little bit harder if he really plans on keeping up with these roms.
LibertyFroyo was SUPERB.
I remember sitting around all day waiting for 2.0 to drop...only to see a forum post saying "Buy this for $5...the rest of you will get it soon."
You know what I did? Bought it. That second. I loved what Liberty did to the DXROM game.
Then Kejar left.
And Liberty support dwindled.
And GB came out...and was loved...and picked at...and support dwindled.
Justice's hype lasted for...a day. And everyone switched off of it.
No one cares about a rom that isn't ever supported by it's devs.

Last edited:

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Now that cm7 based roms are out for our phones, what reason would you stay on liberty? Don't get me wrong, the rom is great!
That being said, it is no contest when it comes to the customization, tweaks, ease of applying themes and yes, actual nightlies that come with cm7. Why would I switch back?

CM74D2 (1250Mhz-v6 supercharged)

OP
J

Jubakuba

Reaction score
Er...uh...I'm...on CM7 now :).
But I still miss 720p.
And having a gallery that doesn't lag with my 2000+ photos.
Wow...stock android gallery is not a fan of that.
Edit: Oh and battery life is still pretty damn bad.
No improvement that I've noticed, really.

I'm a pessimist, but I just seem to think it has something to do with the way 2ndinit works...and we'll be stuck with this **** battery.

DJxPanda

Reaction score
Now that cm7 based roms are out for our phones, what reason would you stay on liberty? Don't get me wrong, the rom is great!
That being said, it is no contest when it comes to the customization, tweaks, ease of applying themes and yes, actual nightlies that come with cm7. Why would I switch back?

Though yes 2nd init is a great new inotmvation with a ton of tweaks and stuff, it really only gives anywhere from subpar to average battery life and stability. Considering a lot of them are in a nightly / weekly (non-RC) state, they change too frequently to really have a good sense of what is stable. I was on CM for a good while.. since the beginning actually and as the later nightlies came out battery life greatly declined, which that was something they addressed in a VERY early on nightly and was never an issue until as of recently. Im running MIUI now, and yea its nice but again its inly producing an average life and part of the rom arent consistant nor stable. LibGB was when i was on it was extremely stable due to the infrequent updates. The versions were very well coded and well debugged. So ya it took a bit longer to get them out but it was a solid release each time. Also the fact that its on the GB kernel gives it a major advantage cuz.. lets be honest.. froyo kernel sucks.. hard. I think thats a big factor too. Is the GB kernel vs the froyo kernel. GB is just all around better. Anyways once MIUI hits GB ill be sold on it. But for the time being im really considering goin back to LigGB

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, now that cm7 has been released on the gb kernel I'm sure battery life will improve. Even now I get 8 hours of heavy use and I mean heavy.

I'm on a d2 (so I don't have 720 anyhow) I use the app quickpic for photos and I have 10,000+No issues.
It's personal preference of course, but my phone screams and functions waaaay better than it ever did on liberty. It's night and day.

DJxPanda

Reaction score
Yeah, now that cm7 has been released on the gb kernel I'm sure battery life will improve. Even now I get 8 hours of heavy use and I mean heavy.

I'm on a d2 (so I don't have 720 anyhow) I use the app quickpic for photos and I have 10,000+No issues.
It's personal preference of course, but my phone screams and functions waaaay better than it ever did on liberty. It's night and day.

Which nightly updated it to the GB kernel? I know i saw it being 2.3.5 now but like.. the most recent nightly i had was 57 and the battery life massively sucked.