Lets Talk: is $799 worth unlimited data?

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have to wonder if part of the reason that VZ hasn't brought any new Sony devices to the table is the fact that they actually sell them for fair prices. The Sony Xperia Ion is only $449 brand new. I understand that their would have to be a variant to work on VZ's LTE, but it wouldn't be cost prohibitive. Samsung, HTC, Moto and the other manufacturers only offer their phones at the ridiculous $699 and up prices that VZ claims they are worth. The same seems to be a part of their reluctance to offer Nexus devices.

In the end I think it's going to backfire on them. AT&T and T-Mobile offer the ability to bring your own GSM devices and Sprint still offers Unlimited with new contracts. VZ certainly has its network going for them as of now but it seems the other players are stepping it up. Guess time will tell.

Fonzz

Reaction score
Lets Talk: is $799 worth unlimited data?

I don't think a used/like new - eBay/Craigslist phone for me will ever cost anywhere near $799...
Currently, I feel like I won't even want a new phone for quite some time now with my complete satisfaction of my Bionic & all the accessories I've got for it, including the spare batteries and battery only charger etc., etc...

Using as much data as I'd like, whenever and wherever, and all the "free" things I download while enjoying it, without a worry of over charges = Priceless

IN AWE

Reaction score
For me it is not about the Unlimited, It is all about the "Talk Text and Data Plus, $20 Discount". I have 3 lines with data and the savings is $60 x 24 months is $1440. I can out right buy my phones and still keep the unlimited and it makes sense. I also have a dumb phone that I can upgrade every 20 months and then switch over to the data line, so I would break absolutely even without being under contract for the data lines. Works for me.

S

SFGate

Most of the concern does not pertain to me. Primarily, I use my phone as a phone. I have started to move away from the 'plans', any 'plans', because I have been wasting too much money on them, for essentially poor service. I have had so many dropped calls that it is very noticeable. Since most of my calls are necessary calls from my employer, I find this to be unacceptable. I am seriously considering going back to a wired phone and/or only keeping a cell phone for 'emergency' use. All else, as far as I see it, depends upon whether a person can afford all of this. For myself, I don't see that I am getting what I pay for, whether or not I could afford it, due to the number of dropped calls and the problems that poor cell phone service brings. Too bad I remember when phone service was reliable and inexpensive.

AlexSB

Reaction score
I have insurance on my Bionic (I always get insurance on all my phones, and it always comes in handy)

If I buy one used off of swappa, Verizon won't cover it since I didn't buy it through them, correct?

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

pistacio

Reaction score
I have insurance on my Bionic (I always get insurance on all my phones, and it always comes in handy)

If I buy one used off of swappa, Verizon won't cover it since I didn't buy it through them, correct?

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

Good question...start a new topic?
I have switched to a backup for warranty, then back to the original and they never canceled the insurance. Maybe as long as its activated for a minimum length of time?... At least 30 days or so ?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction score
Currently both my wife and I have a Droid 2 Global with unlimited data and 1400 minutes. We use maybe 300-400 minutes a month and have never come close to reaching 1400 minutes. We pay about $146 after a 12% employer discount and the "Talk Text and Data Plus, $20 Discount". If we upgrade our phones, we would switch to a 4GB plan and pay almost the same price. To be honest, we never use more than 2GB each but we're also on 3G phones. However, we do pay $50 a month for a 5mb internet connection. 4G just came to our town last week.

The dilemma... Oh what to do... We decided we would pay retail for our phones and save $50 per month on our internet bill. No way would we pay crazy $700 retail prices. Just a few days ago, we purchased 2 Samsung Galaxy S3's off eBay. One is new and the other is almost new. (Reliable sellers with clean ESN's but it's always a gamble) We paid $430 each for a blue and white 16GB version. With our phones being our internet provider, we'll easily surpass 4GB of data especially with 4G now available here.

It's been 18 months since we purchased our D2G's. In 18 months, the internet savings will completely pay off both of our phones. As long as Verizon's 4G proves reliable enough, the only difference between now and 18 months from now will be new phones and faster internet. (No price difference) Of course you can't forget that even if we did upgrade, we would have spent $200 each or $400 to get the same phones. So really, after 9 months, we're saving money.

Phones arrive tomorrow!

Last edited: