Leaving BB Storm to come to the dark side

ToddP0530

Reaction score
All right, I've sold my BB Storm on Ebay. I'm seriously considering the droid and I have a couple of questions. I don't want to leave push mail behind. I have three main email accounts, a work account that is on an exchange server. My regular home account which is through att via yahoo (pop3) and a gmail account. Will I be able to push my exchange account to the droid? What are some of the common differences from the BB to the Android OS that I'll have to get used to?

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
welcome! yes and yes on the yahoo and gmail, not certain with exchange.. someone here will confirm shortly though. i'm gonna go find you a video i posted that shows the OS a little bit and post it here for you.

OP
ToddP0530

ToddP0530

Reaction score
Thanks for the videos. Helpful. I didn't see anywhere that yahoo is push email, though.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
On your Strom were you on BES? If so then you will need to keep the $45 a month plan with VZW I think in order for your work exchange server to work. I think.

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!
hellomoto.gif

All right, I've sold my BB Storm on Ebay. I'm seriously considering the droid and I have a couple of questions. I don't want to leave push mail behind. I have three main email accounts, a work account that is on an exchange server. My regular home account which is through att via yahoo (pop3) and a gmail account. Will I be able to push my exchange account to the droid? What are some of the common differences from the BB to the Android OS that I'll have to get used to?

OP
ToddP0530

ToddP0530

Reaction score
Thanks ... you're all friendlier here than many other BB forums. ... I was not on BES. I have my work email forwarded to my yahoo account and the yahoo mail was pushed to my storm. I'm hoping for the same set up. At the very least, an alternative will be to forward my work email to my gmail account, which is pushed to the droid. Was hoping yahoo mail is pushed, though, to the droid

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks ... you're all friendlier here than many other BB forums. ... I was not on BES. I have my work email forwarded to my yahoo account and the yahoo mail was pushed to my storm. I'm hoping for the same set up. At the very least, an alternative will be to forward my work email to my gmail account, which is pushed to the droid. Was hoping yahoo mail is pushed, though, to the droid

Well all you gotta do is setup yahoo or get a gmail acct. hten set up the same except for forward to your gmail acct if necessary

fegriffith

Reaction score
I managed to get a look at the manual. If you have OWA access to your exchange account then you would set it up similar to how you can do it on the Blackberry (which I suspect maybe you do not have this access or else you wouldn't be pushing to Yahoo to begin with). You would enter your user name, password, mailbox name. What I can't get over is that Droid will be able to sync e-mail and calendar and contacts. BIS BB couldn't do that, and I'll never understand why. It's been a major pain not having access to my calendar up-to-date. Contacts I can live with as I sync those to the home computer and can update them that way. But I want my work calendar AND personal calendar on my device and I want them to be seperate (don't want personal stuff showing up on my work calendar) AND I want them to be up-to-date.

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this phone! Part of me wants to wait it out a bit and see how it goes...part of me can't stand the thought!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the posting fegriffith. Does answer a question i had with it. Should be simple to set up and go. :)

fegriffith

Reaction score
I copied this from the manual:

Synchronize with Microsoft™ Office
Outlook™
If you use Microsoft™ Office Outlook™ on your work
computer, your phone can synchronize emails, and
events with your Microsoft™ Exchange server.
Find it: Menu > Settings > Accounts & sync > Add
account > Corporate
1 Enter your user name ([email protected]),
password, email address, and server details
including domain name and security type (server
address is the same URL you use to access your
company’s email using the Web on your computer).
Note: Contact your business IT department for
server details.
2 Touch Next.
3 Set up your sync options: select email, contacts, or
calendar.
4 Touch Save & sync.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I managed to get a look at the manual. If you have OWA access to your exchange account then you would set it up similar to how you can do it on the Blackberry (which I suspect maybe you do not have this access or else you wouldn't be pushing to Yahoo to begin with). You would enter your user name, password, mailbox name. What I can't get over is that Droid will be able to sync e-mail and calendar and contacts. BIS BB couldn't do that, and I'll never understand why. It's been a major pain not having access to my calendar up-to-date. Contacts I can live with as I sync those to the home computer and can update them that way. But I want my work calendar AND personal calendar on my device and I want them to be seperate (don't want personal stuff showing up on my work calendar) AND I want them to be up-to-date.

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this phone! Part of me wants to wait it out a bit and see how it goes...part of me can't stand the thought!

With this setup. I shoul dbe able to sync with both work and home without any trouble. Nice thanks for the info

OP
ToddP0530

ToddP0530

Reaction score
fegriffith ... that's exactly what I'm talking about! Thanks! Now, I wonder, wonder, wonder about yahoo. SHould be pushed, too, but is OK if not. I started to migrate everything (calendars and contacts, etc) over to google. Just now am getting an appreciation for google and all its services. Google knows all. I bow to the google gods.:icon_ banana:

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
fegriffith ... that's exactly what I'm talking about! Thanks! Now, I wonder, wonder, wonder about yahoo. SHould be pushed, too, but is OK if not. I started to migrate everything (calendars and contacts, etc) over to google. Just now am getting an appreciation for google and all its services. Google knows all. I bow to the google gods.:icon_ banana:

It does seem that we are going to :hail: Google once this device comes out :D

fonix

Reaction score
Greetings! Current (but soon to be former) Storm user here as well. Hopefully making the switch to the DROID if I can dial one in on Friday. Been a Blackberry user for my life, have my life hosted by Google, so I think the DROID will be the right fit!