droiddoes NOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

droiddoesNOT

Reaction score
Bought droid to join verizon network and finally leave ATT's poor coverage.
The droid does NOT interact with a secured exchange server account. So I could not get work emails or contacts pushed to phone. My iphone does this no problem. I'm not a techno wizard by any stretch but I can't believe after all the hype about the droid they would release the phone lacking that ability. The frustrating part is that the folks i dealt with at the verizon store didn't have a clue what i was talking about and the telephone tech support was pathetic. Finally found on motorola website where it says it cannot worj with secured exchange..and no that touchdown app doesn't either. Very dissappointed. returned droid. pisses me off evry time i see that droid does commercial. The droid does NOT perform a basic function like my iphone.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry to burst your ibubble, but when iphone first came out.. it couldn't either. So before you go bashing something, it sounds like there could have been a little more research on your part before you jumped ship. This is a new OS with a new phone, it's not going to be 100% perfect.

OP
D

droiddoesNOT

Reaction score
the fact is that the iphone does it now and the droid does not. don't take it personally. i just wasn't happy so i returned it. problem is that the sales people i talked to assurred me that it would work and they were wrong. i would have never bought it if they gave me the right info. Again i'm not a techno wizard. just need reliable phone for work. No amount of research i could have done before writing my experience would change the fact that the phone does not perform this function. when it does i will re- by phone and be happy.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
it does work with exchange but they most likely don't know about the few issues it has with syncing up with exchange servers that enforce security policies. There are 2 upcoming patches and i'm hoping it will address most of the problems people are having connecting.

sir

Reaction score
i haven't tried ths, but essentially what everyone is saying is that if you are using SSL to connect to exchange (checking the SSL box), it will fail to work assuming your exchange setup is flawlessly configured?

R1Lover

Reaction score
Mine is working with SSL just fine..... it's all in the setup and options....

To the OP though.... go back to apple.... if you don't have the time to mess with something new, stick with what you know.

D

DroidMastar

Just about every piece of technology has issues like this. I had a lay z boy that was recalled because it failed to rotate and recline as specified. It happens. In the case of the phone... upgrades will be released that can fix such an issue. It's unfortunate the phone didn't fulfill your needs but look for it too, after the Dec. Update. :D

samredman

Reaction score
The Droid is the future... the open nature (which the others don't and won't have) of its architecture and the ability to have instant and ongoing updates will give this phone every capability you need and far more that is even being imagined now. The upgradability and changeability of this phone is its strongest feature. Apps being upgraded will be a dynamic process, happening daily. But, I don't blame an average Joe for being frustrated. He should return the phone.

The phone will be available later and when it becomes apparent that what you can do with the Droid will be representing whatever is the latest in "smart" mobile capability then those who were skittish will come right back (unless they get locked in somewhere else with a long contract). The Droid will be like that girlfriend you were with for a while that you let go (you remember her) and now realize that she was the one you should have hung onto.

OP
D

droiddoesNOT

Reaction score
what is it about what i said some of you don't get.
I'm sure the droid is a great phone. it is a fact that right now it will not work with my works exchange server because of that ssl stuff someone mentioned. any workplace above a donut shop has security on their exchange server and the droid cannot work with that at this time. no amount of time i spend with it will change that. If your happy with your droid great. THE PROBLEM IS THAT I AM NOT AN EXPERT ON THIS CRAP AD I TRUSTED VERIZON SALES TO INFORM ME ABOUT THE PHONES ABILITIES AS IT IS NOW. AND THEY AND THEIR TECH SUPPOERT WERE INCORRECT AT THE POINT OF SALE SO I RETURNED IT i posted that thread so others like me might get informed about this before they buy it and get dissappointed. So for now i will stick with what i know.. a working iphone.

sir

Reaction score
I find it interesting that R1Lover has it working over ssl and yet you're still saying it doesn't and that people misled you?

Droider

Reaction score
And you were right to return it. If you absolutely need Exchange for work and your employer requires the hardware encryption security policies for Exchange then you are right. You need to use another phone until Droid supports it. Unfortunately it sounds as if the Verizon sales people read the same brochure you did where it only mentions that Exchange is supported and doesn't specify the conditions.

You'll have to forgive the overly sensitive Droid owners that are just enthusiastic for the new device. And in all fairness, when iPhone first introduced Exchange support it did not support encryption either and only worked by "lying" to the Exchange server. Once Apple introduced update 3.1 they finally enforced encryption as they always should have and suddenly Exchange support broke for everyone that owned a first gen or even 3G iPhone. Only the 3GS officially supports the encryption. Android was first released almost a year and a half after iPhone so there's no doubt that they are still catching up in some areas and following some of the same incremental steps as iPhone did. At some point in the next 6 months to a year, I suspect an Android phone (maybe even the Droid) will support full Exchange with encryption and it should be an alternative for you.

Stigy

Reaction score
SSL and a secured Exchange policy are totally different, which is what he is talking about.

The Exchange servers have TONS of options for security for mobile devices so the secured policy is something that is set ON the Exchange server and SSL is the port used FOR the connection itself to the server.

Working with Exchange for a few years now and sometimes I still don't even know some options exist.

Sorry you had to return the phone because of Verizon tech support not understanding the phone completely in and out, but like I said unless you work with Exchange daily there are just some things that are very complicated.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I find it interesting that R1Lover has it working over ssl and yet you're still saying it doesn't and that people misled you?

I believe what he was talking about was a specific thing with security policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.