Launcher Pro Plus on the Bionic...

billyk

Reaction score
I've been using the stock launcher since 9/8, with sampling other launchers like Go and Zeam from time-to-time. I had Launcher Pro Plus on my D1 for a long time and really loved it, but I read that LP has not been supported lately, with the Developer promising that he's working on a totally new re-write of the app, and customers pissed that he has gone incommunicado for 6 months.

While I love the stock launcher, I was continually annoyed with the lack of portrait display of the desktop as I often use the Bionic horizontally. So I gave my old standard LP Plus a try. Wow, VERY nice on the Bionic!

I know that Go is a virtual copy of LP, but I like the LP crisp/clean look and when I set the transition and preview speeds to "instant", damn, the Bionic just smokes! Everything is so fast, it's like LP makes better use of the processing power than stock. I've not had a single hiccup with LP since I installed it a couple of days ago, the calendar widget is the best I've found, and the vertical scrolling of the app tray is really usable.

Even though it hasn't been updated in a while, this launcher works great on my Bionic.

Al Neri

Reaction score
I downloaded go launcher and home switcher. Am I doing something wrong, I have tried setting blur as the default until I have go set up completely. Every time I hit home or unlock the screen it goes back to go launcher.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I downloaded go launcher and home switcher. Am I doing something wrong, I have tried setting blur as the default until I have go set up completely. Every time I hit home or unlock the screen it goes back to go launcher.

Settings/applications/manage applications/Go Launcher/clear defaults.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've been using the stock launcher since 9/8, with sampling other launchers like Go and Zeam from time-to-time. I had Launcher Pro Plus on my D1 for a long time and really loved it, but I read that LP has not been supported lately, with the Developer promising that he's working on a totally new re-write of the app, and customers pissed that he has gone incommunicado for 6 months.

While I love the stock launcher, I was continually annoyed with the lack of portrait display of the desktop as I often use the Bionic horizontally. So I gave my old standard LP Plus a try. Wow, VERY nice on the Bionic!

I know that Go is a virtual copy of LP, but I like the LP crisp/clean look and when I set the transition and preview speeds to "instant", damn, the Bionic just smokes! Everything is so fast, it's like LP makes better use of the processing power than stock. I've not had a single hiccup with LP since I installed it a couple of days ago, the calendar widget is the best I've found, and the vertical scrolling of the app tray is really usable.

Even though it hasn't been updated in a while, this launcher works great on my Bionic.

I loved LP up to the end. The end for me came when I started getting a little bit of lagging on my Droid 1. I then tried all the home apps and ended up with Zeam. It has a clean crisp feel to it and it has the smallest footprint of all the launchers. My wife has my Droid now and is still using Zeam. Turn window animations and transitions off and it changes screens instantly.

On the Bionic I did oddly experience some lagging with LPP. I was astonished and dismayed. I then put Zeam on my Bionic and used it for a few weeks. Someone then turned me on to SPB 3D Shell and I was hooked in spite of the $14.95 price tag. It's amazing and I can not quit playing with it - tons and tons of customizations. One of the amazing things about it is just how complicated it is and yet I've never experienced any lag or redraw issues.

Good luck.

Al Neri

Reaction score
Settings/applications/manage applications/Go Launcher/clear defaults.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

I went in and it says there is no default set despite my putting blur as the default seconds before going into settings. I am not sure I can do without my frequent use contact widget.

Scribble

Reaction score

It's an issue with Blur actually. It's very submissive! :p

There is a fix you can download from the market that will make it so you get the which homescreen do you want to use. Without it, even clearing the defaults won't bring up the choice thing.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The app Home Switcher has a button for clearing defaults too. Clear defaults and select the launcher you want to use.

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
I loved LP up to the end. The end for me came when I started getting a little bit of lagging on my Droid 1. I then tried all the home apps and ended up with Zeam. It has a clean crisp feel to it and it has the smallest footprint of all the launchers. My wife has my Droid now and is still using Zeam. Turn window animations and transitions off and it changes screens instantly.

On the Bionic I did oddly experience some lagging with LPP. I was astonished and dismayed. I then put Zeam on my Bionic and used it for a few weeks. Someone then turned me on to SPB 3D Shell and I was hooked in spite of the $14.95 price tag. It's amazing and I can not quit playing with it - tons and tons of customizations. One of the amazing things about it is just how complicated it is and yet I've never experienced any lag or redraw issues.

Good luck.

I've heard nothing but great things about SPB 3D Shell. But that price tag... YIKES!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've heard nothing but great things about SPB 3D Shell. But that price tag... YIKES!

Yeah, that's a real stumbling block for most folks. I mean it's sooooo much higher than anything else. But I figure I'll use it on all future Android phones, so. . . Ah, hell, it's still just really expensive!!

Al Neri

Reaction score
I am using home switcher. I set blur as the default and it refuses to stay. It just keeps defaulting to go launcher. No matter as I deleted go for now, I just like the frequent contact widget too much.

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
I've never used Home Switcher, so I can't help there. I find that it's best for me to just move to a new launcher and then live there for at least a few days. If it's great, I stay. If not I uninstall and it's back to Moto's launcher.

LPP continues to be 100% stable, lightening fast and it offers the specific extras that I really want. The SPB launcher looks very cool - maybe it'll be free on Amazon today? :biggrin:

Doubtful....

jrshelton13

Reaction score

I went in and it says there is no default set despite my putting blur as the default seconds before going into settings. I am not sure I can do without my frequent use contact widget.

I had the same problem when I would try to swap back and forth between launchers. The way it worked for me was to download Moto Home Fix from the market, once it was downloaded it allowed me to swap between the stock launcher to LPP to Go Launcher or clear the defaults that were set, kind of weird but every time I SBF/FXZ or flash something else I always have to download Home Switcher and Moto Home Fix. Hope it works!

km75

Reaction score
I am using home switcher. I set blur as the default and it refuses to stay. It just keeps defaulting to go launcher. No matter as I deleted go for now, I just like the frequent contact widget too much.

Use 'Homesmack'. It let's you make the blur launcher the default. Its a known issue with moto phones that the blur launcher can't be set as the default. Homesmack gives you that option

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Well, after nearly a week, LPP began to make my home screen go black intermittently. I had to uninstall LPP - bummer.

So I gave Go Launcher a try again, and after spending some time configuring it, I am getting to like it. The themes, especially the ICS theme, are pretty cool. So far so good, but I'll need to keep an eye on it for stability and battery life.

I wish LPP was supported and stable, but Go is looking very promising.

Last edited: