Latitude, GPS, Google Map question

TheVanDams

Reaction score
Hi. I got my droid a few weeks ago and just got my husband one the other day. My nephew has one too. We all have latitude installed. My location and my nephews is always updating but my husbands doesnt. I am looking at his location now and it hasnt been updated in 18 hours. I went through his settings and it is on. Nothing is blocked. It says to show best location or whatever.

It will update (we think) when he opens the program on his phone, only.

Is it because his task killer is killing the application? This would make sense, except i have the same task killer and mine is still updating as is my nephew's.

What are we doing wrong? I know he isnt hiding from me, by the way. :)

Thanks.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi. I got my droid a few weeks ago and just got my husband one the other day. My nephew has one too. We all have latitude installed. My location and my nephews is always updating but my husbands doesnt. I am looking at his location now and it hasnt been updated in 18 hours. I went through his settings and it is on. Nothing is blocked. It says to show best location or whatever.

It will update (we think) when he opens the program on his phone, only.

Is it because his task killer is killing the application? This would make sense, except i have the same task killer and mine is still updating as is my nephew's.

What are we doing wrong? I know he isnt hiding from me, by the way. :)

Thanks.

If task killer is killing the app then yes, and btw you really don't need task killer. It's been known to cause problems with peoples phones. Let me get you a link.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
...and you've verified that the task killers are set the same way on all devices? Just having the same task killer doesn't mean anything in and of itself. I'd recommend removing it for troubleshooting. In general, you're better off removing unknowns/variables when trying to resolve an issue.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wonder how long before people stop saying that an app killer isn't needed. In some instances yes, it's not needed. App killers aren't the end all to your problems. I have one, use it everyday, never had an issue with my phone, and i get pretty good battery life. Have I "HAD" to use it before to shut down an app, yes. I'd rather have the program and the ability to stop an app if i need to, then if i'm having an issue, just restart the phone.

If you have an app killer, you need to make sure that latitude is not a program that is on it's list to be killed. Some programs will still show as running even though you've killed part of it. Case in point, is the alarm clock. You can kill that with an app killer, but it still shows that it is running, it just won't go off in the morning when you need it to, ;).

Ghost Rider

Reaction score
I am having the same issue with 3 of the 5 droid's my family has. 2 of the droids I did the manual update to and the third was an OTA update. I used the full manual update that was a complete install. The google latitude will not update the location of these phones unless the app is opened and then the location stays at that update. On my phone they show as stale friends until I call and ask them to open the app. I have done battery pulls and reboots. Still same problem.dancedroid