Google Maps Latitude?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Would I let it run 24/7 - no. The GPS, which is required to get any decent fix, would drain the battery much too quickly.

GPS has been on 24/7 since getting the Droid, No noticeable battery drain at all...

Antonio Loveless

Reaction score
Would I let it run 24/7 - no. The GPS, which is required to get any decent fix, would drain the battery much too quickly.

GPS has been on 24/7 since getting the Droid, No noticeable battery drain at all...

Same here Backnblack. My Droid lasts longer than my previous phone, the BB Tour. That's with GPS on. :motdroidhoriz:

cisco0910

Reaction score
luv latitude ! if you dont want to be tracked theres privacy settings. one setting its called set your location, which you can type an address in and everybody on latitude will think your there the whole time when your not. or as someone mentioned just log out. theres also a "hide your location"setting. also to the person who said there wayoff map. ..check your settings also. sounds to me your gps is turned off and when its off it'll your show your location as to which cell phone tower your using.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
I could see Latitude being useful in a few rare situations. I personally would / do prefer to not be kept track of, but if I were on vacation at some touristy place or amusement park with friends or family it would be cool to set everyone up on latitude and know where everyone's at when you're ready to meet back up.

Another situation would be off-roading with a group of people, and knowing where everyone is.

Day-to-day though, I keep my location private.

Mr Steve

Reaction score

Perhaps I should have said 'When the GPS is active it drains the battery too quickly'. I also leave the GPS toggled on 24/7, but the icon only appears in the notification bar when I'm in Maps, Navigation, or some other app that is actively using it. When I exit from Maps the GPS icon goes away.

While Lattitude will continue to send your 'location' based on just the cell tower positioning it's too rough of an estimate to be of any real use. Good enough for knowing where I am within a mile or so (quick test just now show me 0.6 miles away from where I am) but not enough for someone to meet up with me. I guess it would suffice if someone wanted to see if I was at work or at home (going by the rough location/neighborhood) but not enough to see if I was at the grocery store across the street from work.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like the idea behind. I just linked up my phone with my wife's so I know where she is and her me. Being that many times I'm out in the middle of nowhere railing around on a motorcycle, I thought it would be a good tool if I needed to be located. However....

I've found it to be completely unreliable. As I type this, mine had me about 5 miles east of my actual location. After a refresh, it located me sort of close to where I actually am, but now shows my brother in the exact same spot 5 miles east of here that it showed me in a few minutes ago. He's not there either. So have fun in the strip club. ;-) If anyone other than my brother was using it, I'd just turn it off. He and I use it to mess with and check to see if it works well. If I felt my moves were being tracked, I'd not participate.

If on agps then you can be off by a lot
If on gps, It should be spot on.....
Mine is spot on for the most part, b ut my wife's new Eris is not. I'll be in the leaving room and her phone on the kitchen, and mine shows me here, but hers shows her in the next town. My house just ain't that big. Any ideas?

Of course, then you'd have no baseline to judge it from :blink: :D

Mr Steve

Reaction score
I checked my Latitude History after being at work most of the day. The location info bounced all around using just the cell towers to locate me. My desk doesn't move that much :wink:. This was reflected on the 'cone of uncertainty' on the Google maps screen on my Droid with no GPS signal received.

So tomorrow's exercise is to leave GPS off with WiFi toggled on. Here at home having WiFi on narrows my location down to about 1/2 a block. Still no GPS signal through my house. When I get home tomorrow I'll check my history (https://www.google.com/latitude/apps/history/view) and see how well the location info reflects reality using the towers & WiFi.

If the WiFi doesn't kill the battery it might be a viable passive everyday solution. On a road trip I'll just fire up Navigation (while plugged into power) and have the active GPS pinpoint me.

rleonard

Reaction score
I lost my phone and have Latitude active. I went to the website to find the phone with the number. It comes up in the middle of a cemetary with nothing around.

Is there another trick to finding my phone? The only call answewesd was when the kid who took it answered my call and hung up on me. No activity since then.

Bob

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I lost my phone and have Latitude active. I went to the website to find the phone with the number. It comes up in the middle of a cemetary with nothing around.

Is there another trick to finding my phone? The only call answewesd was when the kid who took it answered my call and hung up on me. No activity since then.

Bob
Dude, that sucks! Good luck and when you get it, beat the sh*t out of the kid!

flavious27

Reaction score

my phone doesn't show any noticeable battery drain, then again I use app killer alot. My wife's eris is a different story, it shows a noticeable battery drain but i don't know what she has running all of the time. Latitude would be useful if more of my friends had an android phone and also used google's services; I still have 3 GV invites just sitting around.

Milehighjc

Reaction score
I still havent tried it, but have been toying with the idea a bit. Thought of a couple of situations where it might be useful :

1. Skiing - assuming there is data service at the resort (was pretty good at Winter Park CO), might be a good way to locate a buddy on the slopes. Can imagine figuring out which restaurant or lodge your group is in at lunch/break time.

2. Group of people at large events : We have an art fair/restaurant tasting event downtown every year. Might be an easier way to find each other than txt or a bunch of calls. Suppose shopping in a large mall might be another good example of this.

The problem is that Im not going to just leave it on all the time, and for any of the above it require remembering to take overt action. Maybe someday...

jc