Google Maps- Latitude

Nickmast

Reaction score
So I was playing around with latitude on google maps and have it so i can see the location of my wife's phone when she has her gps on. Why doesn't her location update more frequently? I looked this morning and the last time her location updated was 10 hours ago. Kinda makes latitude completely pointless. Why didn't they include a Refresh Location button or something? Sometimes it will report her location about 2 miles away from where she is, when she is sitting right next to me. I did check all of the settings, GPS was on, my location was accurate but hers was not.

Before anyone jumps to conclusions, I'm not spying on her. Just testing out the features of the program.

daevans315

Reaction score
latitude scares the crap put of me.
Latitude + google search engine = Skynet

But I've noticed big lags in latitude as well. What I have noticed is if I'm using google maps to navigate it updates quite regularly(every 30 seconds or so it seems). Mine will do odd things at my home when it looses GPS and puts me 10 miles from my home and then back again within seconds(I have history turned on for now). Then will not update at all for my 15 mile drive to work. I have not been able to find the trigger to keep a more regular update schedule.

G8orDroid

Reaction score
I agree, Latitude updates are irregular at best, but one thing to check is this: From her phone, tap your icon on her map screen, go to sharing options and verify that "Share best available location' is checked and not "city level".

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I was playing around with latitude on google maps and have it so i can see the location of my wife's phone when she has her gps on. Why doesn't her location update more frequently? I looked this morning and the last time her location updated was 10 hours ago. Kinda makes latitude completely pointless. Why didn't they include a Refresh Location button or something? Sometimes it will report her location about 2 miles away from where she is, when she is sitting right next to me. I did check all of the settings, GPS was on, my location was accurate but hers was not.

Before anyone jumps to conclusions, I'm not spying on her. Just testing out the features of the program.

You just hit "My Location" in Latitude to refresh your location.

OP
Nickmast

Nickmast

Reaction score

I want to update HER location. I know where I am, so why would I need to see myself on the map?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score

I want to update HER location. I know where I am, so why would I need to see myself on the map?

SHE needs to hit My Location if SHE wants her location updated. You don't get to choose when someone else's location is updated (obviously). Why in the world would Google allow you to do that?

brochaos

Reaction score
yeah, you have it backwards dude.

also, when you go indoors, you lose dedicated GPS and so now the phone can only approixmate with cell towers (aGPS) so your locations will not be as accurate.

Storms illusion

Reaction score
Latitude blows...Until they set a cap at 30min refreshes for all contacts, it's stupid. I added my best friend so we can know where we are on campus that way if im outa class we can hook up. However it detects him being connected to the campus wifi and sets us both in the same place, and even if his GPS is turned on...its often in acturate and avg refresh was like 35min

Technoman

Reaction score

Everyone please keep in mind that Latitude needs the GPS active in order to give an accurate position. Your GPS function can be "ON" in settings, but is not "active" unless you are using an application that requires it. Latitude is not an application, it is a "layer" in Google Maps, and interconnects with your Google account to get your sharing list.

If your GPS is not active, the best Latitude (or any location sharing application for that matter) can do is give your estimated location based on Cellular tower. This is an approximate location within 1100 yards of the closest tower (I believe).

If you do not see the GPS icon in your status bar, the GPS is not active, and your position will be estimated as stated above.

Storms illusion

Reaction score
I understand, I just wish there was an application that allowed this without opening an app...or having to turn things on. He often does not have GPS on active due to battery use...He tries to save battery life as much as possible therefore it is never on..I wish something was created that kept it on at all times. For just for my purpose but for others. Like even people that are in your phone plan with you..that would be great to.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow I guess I'm just getting 'old.' :icon_ banana:

I don't particularly care to know where my friends are (well, not enough to pay $10). When I do I simply CALL THEM :rofl3:. And I surely don't want people knowing where I am. Again, when I do I'll let them know personally.

Oh well, to each their own I guess, props to the developer for making $$$$ for something so (IMHO) ridiculous.

Last edited:

Storms illusion

Reaction score
I am 23...Im young..I spend half of my life socializing, so i understand its a different story.

But, it doesn't cost 10$...I am not sure what your talking about o_O

Technoman

Reaction score
Wow, people actually pay $10 for this? I guess I'm just getting 'old.' :icon_ banana:

I don't particularly care to know where my friends are (well, not enough to pay $10). When I do I simply CALL THEM :rofl3:. And I surely don't want people knowing where I am. Again, when I do I'll let them know personally.

Oh well, to each their own I guess, props to the developer for making $$$$ for something so (IMHO) ridiculous.

KZI, you are confusing Latitude with Locale. Latitude is FREE, and is a Google application.