Last Nights Blackberry Outage. Another Droid Rave

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I searched around for a bit and didn't find any other post on this but I'm sure many of you were aware for the second time in a week BIS had a major outage. It was great fun watching people on twitter and such complaining about RIM.

Many people don't have Verizon so they are kind of stuck with Blackberry. Many are just stubborn and refuse to admit that there might be something out there that works better then Blackberry.

I have to say so far in my 3 weeks of owning the Droid I haven't seen any outages from Google. My Storm was a decent phone and the Storm 2 was better but Moto Droid & Google just rock.

bacalao

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I used to do all of our cell communication with BBM, and that saved her money from a text message plan. Now we email (kind of whack and cheap), but three times in the last month the BIS outages have knocked out the communication. I get asked, "why don't you reply?" "Are you getting my emails". These outages are wrecking my home! Haha

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I used to do all of our cell communication with BBM, and that saved her money from a text message plan. Now we email (kind of whack and cheap), but three times in the last month the BIS outages have knocked out the communication. I get asked, "why don't you reply?" "Are you getting my emails". These outages are wrecking my home! Haha

If you are carrying a Droid and she is too. Why not use Gtalk. It's native and works just like BBM :). Enjoy!

dualsub2006

Reaction score
Oh I'm well aware. Not just of this outage yesterday but also the other two that happened in the last week.

I have a Droid (after three long years with various Blackberry devices) but have three BB users in my home. One is buying an Android device next week and the other two are getting off of BIS in under two months.

RIM might just be #1 in sales but an awful lot of people are getting very sick of their antiquated service falling flat on it's face.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh I'm well aware. Not just of this outage yesterday but also the other two that happened in the last week.

I have a Droid (after three long years with various Blackberry devices) but have three BB users in my home. One is buying an Android device next week and the other two are getting off of BIS in under two months.

RIM might just be #1 in sales but an awful lot of people are getting very sick of their antiquated service falling flat on it's face.

All i can say is more than you know or realize.

bacalao

Reaction score

If you are carrying a Droid and she is too. Why not use Gtalk. It's native and works just like BBM :). Enjoy!

She will remain with BB to stay in touch with all of her family who all have BBs...
Thanks for the tip though!!

Silver Member
Reaction score
gmail has had one or two outages, but none to the level of RIM or Hotmail. i'm looking forward to a long relationship with Google devices.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I actually had to sign off twitter last night because so many people I know over there are blackberry people. I kept giving them the needle and they were getting resentful. I apologized and said good night. But it is just so cool to be on the other side of the fence now and not trying to make up excuses for Blackberry's inadequacies.

One of my friends on twitter even went and tried the Droid and said it didn't feel right. I guess the blazing speed of the browser was a bit too much to handle.:icon_ devil: With a blackberry a 30 second wait for a web site to download isn't uncommon. Even longer.

I get his point though. If you're a long time blackberry user I guess you get kind of use to things working a certain way. I'm glad I was able to break out of my blackberry fan boy mode and try something new. I'm sure glad I did.

bacalao

Reaction score
Opera mini was a necessity on the storm. I was solid about buying the storm2 but played with the Droid and never looked back!
Those outages really make me feel like I made the right choice more and more. Just think how crippling a complete Google outage would be...

Mojo

Reaction score
Thank God blackberry outages are a think of the past... I almost picked on some of my twitter friends about it, but I figured they was being tortured enough LOL.

xmnj

Reaction score

She will remain with BB to stay in touch with all of her family who all have BBs...
Thanks for the tip though!!

Just have her download Google talk on her blackberry.

dualsub2006

Reaction score
While true that Gmail has had a few outages I still had access to my calendar, contacts, Talk AND email via IMAP during the one incident that I experienced a few months ago.

I know that the security that BIS and BES provides is critical to many enterprise users, most if not all consumer users could care less about the details when their phone won't do anything at all.

mjs31

Reaction score
Good points, but the fact is, you could still access them. I will never really knock BB since I have had very good experiences with them. That being said, I still think they failed at keeping up with the times on their OS.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I sent my boss: "BB Outage? there's a Droid for that!"

He's getting one soon.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
BIS data outages affect all carriers... since all data passed thru a BB must go thru RIM's servers... glad those day are gone.
I find BB users are more stubborn that any iPhone fanboi. They refuse to believe there's anything else, and especially refuse to believe there's anything better. Kind of funny actually.

5.0 = Epic Fail