Keypad volume too low when dialing

Lenagainster

Reaction score
If I select the phone icon from the home screen of my D2 and then select 'Dialer' to enter the phone number I want to call, the keypad volume is hardly audible. If the keypad shows up for another reason, for entering my PIN when calling voicemail, for example, the keypad volume is normal. The techs at the Verizon store had no idea how to fix that problem. All the settings, ringtones, call volume, etc. are set up high and function normally.
Anyone have an idea what can be done to boost the keypad volume to a normal level? Haptic feedback is enabled which helps a bit. I rarely dial a number manually and can live with the bug, but if there is a fix that I'm overlooking, I'd like to get it right. Phone is not rooted. Thanks!

Silver Member
Reaction score
keypad volume is directly related to the ringtone volume. turn your ringtone volume up and you'll hear your keypad.

OP
Lenagainster

Lenagainster

Reaction score
keypad volume is directly related to the ringtone volume. turn your ringtone volume up and you'll hear your keypad.
Thanks for your reply, but as I wrote in the original post,
" All the settings, ringtones, call volume, etc. are set up high and function normally. "
It's only the keypad volume when I select the phone icon, 'Dialer' and use the keypad that shows up that I'm having a problem with very low volume.
When the numeric keypad shows up for a function like entering my PIN for voicemail, the volume is normal.

Whoopee! 100 posts!

Silver Member
Reaction score
missed that part. are you sure that you don't have the notification volume separate from your call volume?

home - menu - settings - sound - volume - use incoming call volume for notifications

also, try turning up every volume slider down, then all the way up again, turn your display off, put the phone on silent, verify you cannot hear ANY dialtones, reverse the operation and try agian.

if the volume is still too low, you could try a factory reset.

Silver Member
Reaction score
....if the volume is still too low, you could try a factory reset.
Tried all the other suggestions, no difference.
Factory reset sounds a bit desperate. I think I'll live with it as is.
Thanks for your help.
your contacts and apps will all be restored. you'll only have to reset your sound notifications and desktop icons/widgets. there are apps, such as Titanium Backup that can help with that.

Taegost

Reaction score
There's an app on the market called Sound Manager that lets you modify each of the different volume controls separately, you might want to try downloading it and seeing if there are any that aren't set all the way up that may affect it.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Keypad volume too low on Droid 2

OK folks, my wife and I had Droid 1s, bought together as part of buy-one-get-one-free. Both our phones dialing keypads were loud and clear (touchtones). I had since upgraded to the D2 and from some point thereafter I noticed that the dialpad volume was severely muted. I thought I had created the problem myself with a downloaded volume locker tool or other volume control app. I did try Tech Support over the phone, but since I thought I might be partly to blame, I didn't push them hard when they couldn't resolve it.

Recently, my D2 started doing strange things like rebooting without warning and not responding to power button or slider and not waking up. I contacted support and they immediately suggested to replace it. I thought, "Great! That'll solve 2 problems at once and I'll have my dialpad volume back!"

Well, not so fast...the new phone ALSO has muted dialpad volume *right out of the box* and *after a factory reset* *with NO apps installed* other than those which come with the phone, *and not even activated yet!* Meanwhile, by comparison my wife's D1 STILL sounds LOUD when pressing the dialpad buttons. Also interesting is that the volume for her dialpad is directly connected to the "Media" volume and as I press the dialpad buttons repeatedly while I press the volume rocker on the side down or up, the volume of the dialpad button presses immediately get softer or louder. In fact, the dialpad volume of her D1 matches the volume of my D2 when her "Media" volume is at 5 clicks above silent *(which is 5 out of a possible 15 on volume levels - and including silent, 16 possible settings).

On the other hand, my D2's dialpad volume won't change at all when I press the volume rocker on the side of the phone up or down. Furthermore, the volume rocker DOESN'T display the "Media" volume on the D2 (like it does on my wife's) while in the dialpad screen but instead displays the "Ringer" volume. The ONLY thing the "Ringer" volume actually does while in the dialpad is completely turn off the sound once the "Ringer" volume is reduced to silent. So no matter what level the "Ringer" volume is on my D2, other than silent, the dialpad is the same muted "level 5". Meanwhile, the "Media" volume on my D2 is at FULL and the same holds true for ALL the volume settings on my D2.

So today I decided to stop by my trusty Phone Center Store and check out some of the demo phones to see just how crazy I really was. Much to my surprise, not only does the D2 have the muted dialpad "problem", but so does the R2D2, the Global, Pro AND the X! Next I tried ALL the other Android phones and found that they are loud and clear while on the dialpad! HTC Incredible - loud and clear, Fascinate...Vortex...Continuum....Ally...all loud and clear. So I am NOT crazy. I even summoned a technician and a sales rep who both tried to "fix the volume settings" on my phone but once they gave up and I demoed the phones on display, they were shocked.

I am going to contact Motorola tomorrow to get to the bottom of this. This is a potentially dangerous situation as I often dial the phone while it's in the cradle mounted to my windshield, and without actually taking my eyes off the road, with peripheral vision I can "see" the numbers I am pressing. Unfortunately unless I HEAR the response of the touchtone, I can't be sure the number press registered, so that FORCES ME to take my eyes off the road to visually confirm whether the number registered. The road noise in the car is loud enough to completely overshadow the button presses while even moving at a measly 15mph. By contrast my wife's phone can be heard at highway speeds!

If ANYONE has ANYTHING to contribute, please do. I have done all the troubleshooting that anyone in my place can, including hard resets, safe mode, and full out replacement, but to no avail. I am wondering if this is not a bug in the version of Android that the D2, R2D2, X, & Global share (aside from their other unique customizations to the OS such as Motoblur, HDMI controls, etc.). If anyone else out there can shed some light on this, I (and I am sure others including those in this thread) would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

OP
Lenagainster

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Nice, informative post, FoxKat. Thanks for the info and for saving me the trouble of trying a factory reset. Maybe, someday, we will get to a solution.
Edit: The BH and I got our two D2s ordered online and delivered same day. Mine has the dial pad low volume issue, the BH's phone does not.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well, the results of the call to Motorola were unimpressive. I was told they weren't aware of this issue (this was level 2 tech support), but that they would enter it into their trouble ticket system and suggested I also enter it into the Motorola Droid 2 forum on Motorola.com (already done...see https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/43161?tstart=0). SO, I suppose it will be looked at sometime down the road and hopefully resolved with an update (maybe the next one???)

To all the other D2 users (especially if you have a D1 to check out at the same time), test them to see if you can raise/lower the dial pad volume, and if possible compare the sound level to a D1. I am sure it's not a fluke that I have 3 D2s all with the same issue, and that the Motorola demo phones at the phone center store also present with the same issues, but the other phones mentioned don't.

OP
Lenagainster

Lenagainster

Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea how it happened, but the volume on my keypad for dialing is now normal. Don't think there was any upgrade since the issue was discussed in Dec. 2010, and I certainly didn't find any magic setting in the meantime. Put some new apps on the phone, took some off, never did a factory reset. I rarely use the keypad for dialing, but just noticed about a week or so ago, it was back to normal. Maybe a good bug got in there.