Keep Droid 4 or swap BACK to Bionic? (cross-post from DF D4 forum)

xmguy

Reaction score
I have a Bionic I bought a bit over a month ago. But a few days ago the phone started acting up so I called VZW. I was going to get another Bionic. But I asked the rep if I could go to the Droid 4 instead. The rep said that'd be no problem. (That should have been a red flag that they did it without question). I figured the Droid 4 might be better than the Bionic. But I've had the CLNR Droid 4 only 5 hours and the speakers are popping and seem muffled. I read LOADS of threads on the Droid 4 speaker issues. I don't want to end up swapping the Droid 4 alot.

So my question should I just go back to the Bionic or try and get another Droid 4 (CLNR or NEW)?

Thanks

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Go back to the Bionic, IMHO. You gain the removeable battery, and it's been through enough OS updates that it is pretty darn solid nowadays. Most of the current hate out there regarding the Bionic is unfounded, and alot of it comes from ex-Bionic owners who didn't experience the 5.9.902 update.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
I have had both. The bionic is a solid phone. I never had any issues with it of any kind. I was offered the d4 for $100
Off and i missed having a keyboard (d2g was my first) so I took it and gave my daughter the bionic.
I have no issues with my d4. I will admit the way they put the speakers in the d4, razr and maxx is a bad design. My wife had to return her razr due to speaker issues. Would i trade my d4 back for tge bionic? Never. I love the keyboard. I get great battery life. No connection issues. Its the best android phone i have owned so far.
Its all a matter of preference. If you want a keyboard keep the d4. If you dont need a keyboard go with the bionic.
Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
It's funny. I tried using the keyboard on the Droid 4 then used the onscreen keyboard. I was able to type twice as fast using the onscreen vs the physical keyboard. I made NO mistakes using virtual. Made 4 mistakes using the physical. Very strange. Must have gotten used to the "soft keyboard".

As far as what phone to choose. I'm leaning toward the Bionic because it seems built better. The Razr Maxx (I already have) and the Bionic have GREAT speakers on the back. Sound clean and crisp. The Droid 4 speaker sounded very distorted and the entire phone housing seems to rattle with the voice/music peaks. I don't know if the Droid 4 has poor construction vs the Bionic. (never thought I'd say that). I just don't get it. I don't mind the smaller screen. It was the SW issues on the Bionic that got me. The Bionic screen would just go dark requiring a reboot. (a pain with a Otterbox Defender case on) I'd also lose all data and sometimes voice network access too. The Razr Maxx has this issue (as far as data) sometimes too. I don't know. The Bionic as far as durability seems better. I did after all buy the phone for "outdoor/dirty" work. Where the phone might get dropped or get dirt or whatever. So I'm still at a cross-roads.

striker85

Reaction score
I feel like the speaker on the Bionic is weak and puny. The D1 had a damn boombox in it. When I got the Bionic, I was disappointed. That aside, I love the Bionic.

Mike8016

Reaction score
Keep the Bionic

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
I feel like the speaker on the Bionic is weak and puny. The D1 had a damn boombox in it. When I got the Bionic, I was disappointed. That aside, I love the Bionic.

I concur. I actually think that the Bionic has the best (rear) speaker I've heard SINCE the Droid (1). I had the Droid 1 and 2. The Droid 1 (as you said) was like a boombox. The Razr/Razr Maxx however while not horrible isn't as powerful as I feel the Bionic is.

I have both Bionic and Maxx. I'd take the Bionic speaker over the Maxx anyday. But the OG Droid still has them BOTH beat!

The Droid 4 is a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE rear speaker. As I stated before. When playing music it's weak and distorted. Causes the whole phone carcass to rattle along with the sound vibrations. Issues I've only had with ONE other phone. The Droid X2. It was pure S.....CRAP too.

Last edited:

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
That's odd. I don't find the speaker on the D4 to be that bad. I also have not had any speaker issues. I will say that my d2g speaker blows away the speaker on the bionic and the d4. Its not even a competition.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

pugsrus

Reaction score
question

when they sent you your droid 4 Did it come with a back on it? Verizon made me the same offer and the phone came today with no back?