Just Upgraded to the Rezound

VooDooCC

Reaction score
I'm in the combined situation. Coming from a D2 that the buttons are messing up, screens going crazy and barely holds a charge sometimes. One day I only got 1 hour, and the phone was just idle, screen off sitting on the desk. Today I went to unlock the phone to make a call and it brought up google search. I didn't think i even had that in the rom I'm running. :blink: I won't get my phone until Thursday, but I'm soo excited.

I had to pay $199 for it, since I had to do an early upgrade through the loyalty department. I have a feeling it will be well worth it.

acousticshade

Reaction score
Oh, I am well aware. I did a crap load of research before buying. I studied the specs of four phones I was interested in to death... read numerous professional reviews, user reviews, comparison articles, forum discussions, making a couple trips to the Verizon store to check them out in person, made my own pros & cons list, etc., etc.
My wife thought I was crazy. But it's a big deal to me since I hope to have this phone for at least the next two years. It's always going to be with me so I want to make sure I get the best phone for me.

I am aware of the battery life for a phone of this quality, which is why I got the extended battery to hopefully at least double the battery life.

Ha ha, I did the same thing too. Sat and played with this phone and the Gnex for hours at Verizon before I finally got the Rezound. I'm real glad I did a ton of research with all the problems the Gnex had. This phone is rock solid and there are many former Gnex and RAZR users who sent their phones back to get a Rezound. Congrats & have fun!

OP
Xander Crews

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Ha ha, I did the same thing too. Sat and played with this phone and the Gnex for hours at Verizon before I finally got the Rezound. I'm real glad I did a ton of research with all the problems the Gnex had. This phone is rock solid and there are many former Gnex and RAZR users who sent their phones back to get a Rezound. Congrats & have fun!

The GNex was one of the ones I was considering. The main draw for that phone for me is the stock Android OS...which I like.
The bigger screen and thinner factor doesn't mean a lot to me personally.
It also didn't help that the back plate of the GNex in the Verizon store kept popping off because the security cord that attached to it was pulling on it kind of hard I guess. When you picked it up, the back popped off. I realize that probably wouldn't happen to me if I bought the phone, because those phones are handled to death in the store, plus that cord is pulling on it when folks pick it up...but it just puts that seed in your mind of lower quality construction, even though it probably isn't really an issue.

OP
Xander Crews

Xander Crews

Reaction score
My Rezound came in the mail yesterday.
Usually FedEx comes before noon, so I came home for lunch to grab it and take it back to work with me...but they were late that day (figures) and they didn't arrive until around 3:00...no biggie.
Got home from work, charged it up and started playing with it that evening.

My impressions after an evening of basically setting it up, installing my apps, getting everything the way I like, etc...
  • Wow, is 4G fast! Did a speed test and I got 22mb down & 11mb up at my house. That's a huge improvement over my 3G connection on my D2, which was at best about 3mb down and 1.5mb up. At work, my office is in the basement of our building and we only get 3G down here. Bummer. 4G really shined when I was downloading and installing my couple dozen "have-to-have" apps. They downloaded quick, and the fast phone installed them quick as well. It didn't take that long at all.
  • The interface of the phone itself is quite a bit smoother and faster than my D2...and I was happy with the speed of that phone. Very impressed with that.
  • Not much of a learning curve with Sense. Pretty intuitive. Those iPhone folks who say Android or any Sense/Blur variation of Android is too difficult or confusing...are idiots. I think Android does a great job of giving you tons of options and customizations and presenting it in an easy to use interface. If you can't figure Android out, that's pretty pathetic.
  • Had never used Sense before. I like it so far. The customizable quick start apps on the lock screen are nice. I had tried different lock screens on my D2 on Moto Blur using GoLocker and whatnot...and some of them had quick start apps on the lock screen, which I liked a lot. It was nice to see 4 apps on there, and I liked the interface. The weather animations and other options are cool as well.
  • The added thickness of the phone when using the extended battery is a complete non-issue. Like others have said, I actually like it better. The contoured back of the extended battery back plate really fits better in your hand. And while the contoured back fits better in your hand, it isn't as nice if the phone is flat on a table and you are typing. The phone rocks back and forth a bit when you do that. Not ideal.
  • I applied the Skinomi screen protector. Love their products. Got it on straight with no lint under it, no bubbles and no smudges. Always nerve racking when applying it...you don't want to screw up your screen protector...but it's pretty much on there perfect.
  • Haven't used the beats headphones yet. But just by handling them, you can tell they are top notch quality. They just feel expensive. The cord is more rubberized instead of plasticky like most earbuds and the earbuds themselves are heavier and solid. Looking forward to trying them out. Can't believe they included earbuds valued at over $100 with this phone...I only paid $110 (after $30 upgrade fee) for the phone and the headphones. Crazy.
  • I have only taken a few pictures, but the quality seems good. Love how fast the picture is taken after pushing the button. No delay like I usually had on my D2. That was annoying. It's the little things like that, that make a huge difference.
  • The power and volume buttons could be textured or something to make them easier to find without looking. They are almost flush with the phone and have the same texture as the rest of the phone edges. Hard to find and press sometimes.
  • I use XDBox, and one of the features of xdbox is that it displays the % of battery left in the notification bar. On my D2, the battery life icon went in increments of 10...but on the Rezound, it shows exactly how much is left. Not sure if the app was updated or if it is handled differently on the Rezound...either way, that's nice.
  • After an evening of very heavy use, playing with the phone, setting up the apps, learning the features, different skins, wallpapers, etc., I left it unplugged from the charger overnight. I've been playing with it some more this morning...so it's been about 10 hours total and I'm right at 50%. I'm pretty happy with that, especially with the very heavy use for a few hours last night. The heavy tinkering will slow down in a day or two...and I think I had GPS on all night as well. I foresee no issues getting through an entire day on one charge...but we'll see how it goes.
Today will be fun. It's already part of the routine. Some texts from the wife and a calendar notification (which I found was dismissable or snoozable from the lock screen = nice).

It's hard to dislike much about this phone. It's fast, very responsive, the animations are buttery smooth and of high quality, the screen is about the best out there, the camera produces good quality photos and has a fast trigger. Very nice.

So far, I'm quite happy with my decision to get the Rezound. We'll see how it is after a few days in the real world.

:icon_ banana:

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
That's awesome. Welcome to the Rezound world. Now you realize why we love this phone so much. It's as solid as they come. Remember it also does screen shots. Hold the power button down and press the home button at the bottom.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

OP
Xander Crews

Xander Crews

Reaction score
That's awesome. Welcome to the Rezound world. Now you realize why we love this phone so much. It's as solid as they come. Remember it also does screen shots. Hold the power button down and press the home button at the bottom.

Thanks...and yeah, I had heard that before about the screen shot...very nice.
But my screen shot wouldn't be anything exciting. Black background, calendar widget at top, 12 icons below, Sense.
I may change it up eventually...but I like to keep it simple. Personally, busy backgrounds with icons over them drive me nuts.

nikecar

Reaction score
LoudRam said:

Oh snap! I never knew that.... That is awesome.. This place is great.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
cprice12 said:
Thanks...and yeah, I had heard that before about the screen shot...very nice.
But my screen shot wouldn't be anything exciting. Black background, calendar widget at top, 12 icons below, Sense.
I may change it up eventually...but I like to keep it simple. Personally, busy backgrounds with icons over them drive me nuts.

I use it for that but I also use it for saving pics that otherwise I couldn't download, proof of scores ie... Temple Run, my quadrant score or anything else that shows up on your screen.

nikecar said:
Oh snap! I never knew that.... That is awesome.. This place is great.

Just one more reason I love this phone. Not that I needed one.

Last edited:
OP
Xander Crews

Xander Crews

Reaction score
I use it for that but I also use it for saving pics that otherwise I couldn't download, proof of scores ie... Temple Run, my quadrant score or anything else that shows up on your screen.

Good idea. I'll have to remember that for situations like that.

How is it I had never heard of the Rezound until I started doing research?
If I hadn't seen the discounted price, I may not have checked it out and noticed how great a phone it is.

Android phone makers need a marketing overhaul. They suck at promoting great phones.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
cprice12 said:

If I hadn't seen the discounted price, I may not have checked it out and noticed how great a phone it is.

Android phone makers need a marketing overhaul. They suck at promoting great phones.

I just posted the same thing on HTC's FB page.

nikecar

Reaction score

I remember the commercials and said, what a junky commercial, who wants that Beats junk.

then when they tried to give me a warranty replacement Stratosphere for my Inc2, I had to find a replacement i felt had a good chance to be approved by supervisors instead, and here I am now with a Rezound.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I hear rumors of ICS being available for Rezound any day now? Has anyone gotten it yet?
There were leaked versions of the official ICS update from months ago. I have one installed. Yes, it is bliss. I love it.

ICS added two things for me: UI polish (animations are smooth and fast and fluid, and the UI matches now) and the ability to remove bloat. ICS can let you disable ANY app...ICS forbids it to run at boot, forbids it to load itself, and removes it from your app drawer. It isn't uninstalled, but for all intents and purposes it is gone.

crxlsturbo

Reaction score
nikecar said:
I remember the commercials and said, what a junky commercial, who wants that Beats junk.

then when they tried to give me a warranty replacement Stratosphere for my Inc2, I had to find a replacement i felt had a good chance to be approved by supervisors instead, and here I am now with a Rezound.

Haha that's what I did with my wife's gnex. Called Verizon and complained when the phone was doing random reboots after her first one died. Then we got the replacement in the mail and still random reboots and no 4G signal at my house. Tech told me I could choose between a razr maxx or Rezound since I told them I wasn't having any problems with my Rezound. And on top of that I was getting 4G at my house. Before this, the opr asked me what my signal strength was on my Rezound. Now this why I hate Samsung phones. My Rezound signal was - 85 and my wife's gnex was - 117. I actually never though it was that bad compared to my Rezound.

So in all, you made the right choice. My little brother just used his upgrade and asked what to get. Told him if you want a good overall solid phone that can get a good 4G signal. Then get the Rezound and make sure you buy a extended battery. For the price @79.99 you can't beat it. So far he loves this phone.

VooDooCC

Reaction score

I had that exact same thought process. If not a little more bigoted, because of my dislike for rap. I thought from the commercial it was crappy phone just to promote the headphones. Now I own one and am loving it so far (only a few hours in at this point)