Have you dropped your Rezound?

alanbk

Reaction score
I have concerns on my rezound. I've actually been though 2 rezounds now and going to get my current one replaced for a new one....I think. Since I'm still within the worrry free (on my last few days) I may opt out of the Rezound due to durability.

I have the extended battery from Verizon, and the hard shell case, and screen protectors. On my 1st rezound, it dropped 3 times, only one of them was a harder drop. Every time the phone dropped it needed rebooted, or rebooted on its own. Every time, the hard shell case came off. On 2 of the drops the back came off. I had the og driod for over 2 years and never had this problem. On my 2nd (current) rezound, it took a harder drop yesterday, and now the bottom area of the screen does not work. Verizon has to wait for them to recieve my orginal one before they can exchange this one. :-(

Please if you have the rezound and have dropped it, please tell me your expereince.

Do you have the external battery?

Do you have the hard shell vzw case?

Did the hard shell case come off?

Did the back of the phone come off?

Did the have have any problems after the drop?

Thanks.

EVSP

Reaction score
Thankfully I have been super lucky.. I've dropped my Rezound three times... I have a standard battery and the drops happened from about waist level WITHOUT any case - part of the back came a little loose but not all the way off.... Haven't had an issue... I do have a Seidio case on it now, though ;-)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Tac.css

Reaction score
How are you dropping your phone so much? Something tells me if you want to have a smartphone you should return the rezound and pick up the casio gzone.

OP
A

alanbk

Reaction score
It's not so much. I've had the OG Droid for over two years. Fell numerous times and a fall never hurt it, with or without a case. Stuff happens.

Tac.css

Reaction score
It's not so much. I've had the OG Droid for over two years. Fell numerous times and a fall never hurt it, with or without a case. Stuff happens.

Oh I agree, stuff does happen, but in the 2 years I've owned my OG droid I've dropped it twice, once on carpet, and once on concrete. Here we have a case where you dropped a phone 3(+?) times? In the span of how much time? Isn't the return window now only 1 week? And you are considering getting a third replacement? I stand by my previous opinion, get a phone that can, and is meant to handle a drop, instead of destroying expensive technology.

Volkaru

Reaction score
One problem is you're using verizon's case. That thing is pretty bad, I'd either get a Seidio Active, Incipio Silicrylic (I'm using this one, absolutely love it), Or if you want the most protection from drops, get the otterbox defender. (Not my favorite case but it does offer a lot of protection) You should really be more careful with your smartphones, though.

And any phone made recently isn't going to have much protection from drops, the Razr may have "Kevlar backing" etc, but a)can't take off the battery door, so no extended or replacement batteries, the form factor of the phone makes it very easy to snap and crush it if you sit on it wrong, especially in the back pocket, it's design is too rigid. The Nexus has in my opinion shoddy build quality, and it doesn't fare much better from drops and stuff like that (case in point: Lesson from a cracked Galaxy Nexus: Get a phone case | Deep Tech - CNET News )

The Rezound may be mostly plastic, but as far as pocket fit goes, it's form factor helps it to fit better in pockets to avoid that kind of damage, and as far as drops go. It absorbs just like most average smartphones, no better, or worse. I dropped my first one once, on concrete at about chest height, it landed on a corner, the phone worked fine still, no reboot, just a small dent in the corner, really not that bad. (I returned it because of a hardware defect I'd had since day one, not because of anything a drop might have caused.)

RezoundHound

Reaction score
Silicone.....the way to go

Keep in mind none of these phones are "designed" to be dropped. Hard shell cases protect against bumps, bruises and scratches, but they provide little protection against drops because they don't absorb much impact. Silicone cases do a much better job at that. If you're in the habit of dropping your phone, this is your best bet. The only problem is I've never seen a silicone case for the Rezound with extended battery. They do have silicone cases for the EVO with extended battery, so I'd imagine eventually they should be available for the Rezound as well. I have various different colors of the case below.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

RH

hydro556

Reaction score
One problem is you're using verizon's case. That thing is pretty bad, I'd either get a Seidio Active, Incipio Silicrylic (I'm using this one, absolutely love it), Or if you want the most protection from drops, get the otterbox defender. (Not my favorite case but it does offer a lot of protection) You should really be more careful with your smartphones, though.

And any phone made recently isn't going to have much protection from drops, the Razr may have "Kevlar backing" etc, but a)can't take off the battery door, so no extended or replacement batteries, the form factor of the phone makes it very easy to snap and crush it if you sit on it wrong, especially in the back pocket, it's design is too rigid. The Nexus has in my opinion shoddy build quality, and it doesn't fare much better from drops and stuff like that (case in point: Lesson from a cracked Galaxy Nexus: Get a phone case | Deep Tech - CNET News )

The Rezound may be mostly plastic, but as far as pocket fit goes, it's form factor helps it to fit better in pockets to avoid that kind of damage, and as far as drops go. It absorbs just like most average smartphones, no better, or worse. I dropped my first one once, on concrete at about chest height, it landed on a corner, the phone worked fine still, no reboot, just a small dent in the corner, really not that bad. (I returned it because of a hardware defect I'd had since day one, not because of anything a drop might have caused.)

I actually disagree about the Nexus. I have owned a bunch of phones, and the Nexus seems to be the best as far as fit/finish and build quality.

OP, you need a case or the Casio phone that is made for people who cant keep from dropping their phones.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
..... Silicone cases do a much better job ... if you're in the habit of dropping your phone,....
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices ....RH

Geeze, that's the ugliest case I've ever seen. But I have to agree that a silicone case is great. Doesn't slip in my hands or in my pocket. Haven't dropped mine yet to try it out, hope I never do test it out, but I do believe the silicone would cushion the drop.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've dropped it a couple of times, always with the Otterbox Commuter case on though, and never screen down, and I don't think from anything higher than waist high. Never had any issues what so ever.

And if you really do drop your phone that much, invest in a nice hard case like the Commuter by Otterbox (which is a combo of silicone and hard case, and absorbs a lot of the impact), spend the 35-50$ for a nice case for you 600$ cell phone. You wouldn't ever driver your Ferrari around without insurance would you?

Last edited:

kimintenn

Reaction score
I also had the OG Droid and that thing was TOUGH! I can't even count the number of times I dropped it over the years I had it... even on pavement etc. It literally did not have a single scratch on the screen. The edges of it had some small dings, but it worked like a charm. From what I've read all these new phones just aren't as tough and you have to be REALLY careful with them.

I dropped my Nexus once from about 2 ft up onto carpet and the back popped off and it rebooted. Haven't dropped my Rezound yet and am going to try to be really careful... will probably get a silicone case for it too. (nothing too bulky)

acousticshade

Reaction score
Hmm, would be interestd to know if there are others who have snapped their Razr in two yet. That's one of the reasons I didn't get that phone. When I first picked it up I thought, wow, this thing is cool + it does look pretty nice. Then I tried a 'flex' test and was surprized at how easy it was to bend a $700 phone. Although the Nexus is thin, at least it doesn't feel like you can break it it two, although the back piece is a really poor design I think.

theascended

Reaction score
I had to chase my dog up the street and my OtterBox clip/case popped off my pocket (wasn't on my belt :/ ). The phone separated from the holster and landed face down on concrete. No damage to the phone or case and no restarts.

idiotekniQues

Reaction score
dropped my first rezound 3 days after i got it, indoors on hardwood floor, fell from waist height. screen cracked badly. i had the extended battery on it and verizon had no extended battery case to sell me so it was caseless.

i had the droidx before that and before that the nexus. they both felt tougher than the rezound.

anyways I did an insurance claim. i have the otterbox commuter & the incipio silicrylic. i don't use the extended battery for now until a good enough case comes out.

RezoundHound

Reaction score
Geeze, that's the ugliest case I've ever seen. But I have to agree that a silicone case is great. Doesn't slip in my hands or in my pocket. Haven't dropped mine yet to try it out, hope I never do test it out, but I do believe the silicone would cushion the drop.

Yeah, it takes a special breed of man to be bold enough to flaunt a neon green cell phone case. :biggrin: Actually, they come in plain old black too.

htc rezound silicone case | eBay

RH