Just installed Liberty, battery dropping rapidly?

kwebb

Reaction score
I just installed Liberty GB 0.8 last night, previously I'd been running an old version of Apex (1.3.1). So far I'm loving it, except for one major issue: battery life. I usually charge my phone while I sleep. This morning, I unplugged it at about 8:30 AM. Only four hours later(!), my battery is showing 40% remaining. :icon_eek: With my previous ROM, I wouldn't drop 60% all day unless I was using the phone heavily. I have the liberty settings for 1000/300 for max/min cpu with the ondemand governor. I believe this was the default value. Is it too aggressive?

My built-in Android battery-usage breakdown says that 38% of the power is the display, 20% idle, and 17% cell standby. I've mostly had the phone in my pocket with the display off; I'm not using it any more than I normally do. Is there a better app I should be using to get statistics?

Has anyone else experienced this with Liberty? Suggestions?

Thanks!

jack902902

Reaction score
One of the prerequisites of installing new ROMs are, Battery Stats...

DJxPanda

Reaction score
One of the prerequisites of installing new ROMs are, Battery Stats...

You could at least put it nicely...

@OP: yea when you flash a new rom, you need to wupe the battery stats so that your phone redistributes battery allocation fresh and naturally. This should help. Also ive heard using things such as battery calibration apps from the market help too.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
K

kwebb

Reaction score
You could at least put it nicely...

@OP: yea when you flash a new rom, you need to wupe the battery stats so that your phone redistributes battery allocation fresh and naturally. This should help. Also ive heard using things such as battery calibration apps from the market help too.

Ah, good to know. I'm not completely convinced that was the problem though. I dropped from 100% to 30% in about 4.5 hours and then changed my CPU scaling options to max/min of 300/300, and my phone made it the rest of the day until I got home without losing much more. I'm inclined to think that something is causing it to stay at the max level (the phone was a bit warmer than normal), I'm just not quite sure what's doing that though.

I think I'm going to get Android Overclock and see if I can come up with a better power profile.

DJxPanda

Reaction score
Ah, good to know. I'm not completely convinced that was the problem though. I dropped from 100% to 30% in about 4.5 hours and then changed my CPU scaling options to max/min of 300/300, and my phone made it the rest of the day until I got home without losing much more. I'm inclined to think that something is causing it to stay at the max level (the phone was a bit warmer than normal), I'm just not quite sure what's doing that though.

I think I'm going to get Android Overclock and see if I can come up with a better power profile.

Ahh yea. There may be an app running in the bg that may be causing it. Ya try and tweak the cpu a little. See if it helps.

Reaction score
Go into Liberty Settings->SysCtl and enable. Should help a lot.

Also, download OS Monitor from the market and sort it by load (sort should be in the app settings) and look at what process is eating the phone's CPU.

OP
K

kwebb

Reaction score
An update, in case anyone else comes across this thread with similar issues:

I ran top from a terminal rather than OS Monitor, and I didn't see any processes consuming more than 1-2% of the CPU. I installed Android Overclock and set the phone to low-voltage with frequency scaling @ 250Mhz min/ 900Mhz max. This seems to have mostly solved the problem. The battery does still die a little bit more quickly than before, but I'm not worried about an extra 10% over the course of a day when I have enough to spare.

Curiously, Android Overclock seems to crash fairly often, so I'm not sure that I would 100% recommend it. It also seems to sometimes consume 40-50% of the CPU, which is clearly counterproductive, so I have to fiddle with it a bit (kill it if it's behaving badly) to ensure that my settings are the way I want at startup. Once it's correct it seems to stick, which means I can go more than 4 hours without charging again!

chaos254

Reaction score
how come your running .08 and not .09? With light use I get about 40-50 hrs on a charge but I am under volted.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
how come your running .08 and not .09? With light use I get about 40-50 hrs on a charge but I am under volted.

Probably because its free and its pretty much the same thing as v.09.

Random ROM'd X

OP
K

kwebb

Reaction score
Probably because its free and its pretty much the same thing as v.09.

Random ROM'd X

Yes, I followed the how to get from anything to Liberty 0.8 guide. It wasn't until after I had installed it that I even knew 0.9 existed, and when I asked about it here, I was told that it wasn't free and that I should just wait, since the changelog isn't particularly significant.