Jelly Bean

cubsfan2113

Reaction score
The link to the official JB update is the same file as the leaked version. This means that either the leaked version is the official version or this is not a correct file for the official update.

Sent from RAZR M running Jelly Bean

Spey

Reaction score
Functional process(s) to Root after OTA JB Update ?
thx

Edit:
2nd question:
Any reason to factory reset after updating to Jelly Bean via OTA?
(currently, after JB OTA, things seem to be running fine)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
The change from ICS to JB was not a complete OS overhaul like the change from GB to ICS was, so probably isn't necessary to do an fdr. If it's working fine, then I'd say you're good to go.

Spey

Reaction score
Functional process(s) to Root after OTA JB Update ?

RE: Original Question - Functional process(s) to Root after OTA JB Update ?

I am still unable to root after JB OTA Update to 4.1.1
Process followed by results below:

1. Download and extract the entire zip file. (http://vulnfactory.org/public/motofail2go_windows.zip)
Download this: http://www.aosp.us/wp-content/files/Root.zip
Inside the folders you will find su.apk and superuser.apk. Copy and replace the ones that came in the original post with these two apks here.

2. Ensure your device is connected via USB and that you have installed the latest ADB drivers from Motorola.

3. Double-click "run.bat" and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. The exploit will ask you to press a button combination at one point.

1st Screen:
RootErrorMsg-1.JPG
"Volume Up + Power simultaneously" does not appear to "trigger bugreport"
"vibration" is just the ringer volume increasing.

2nd Screen:
RootErrorMsg-2.JPG

3rd Screen:
RootErrorMsg-3.JPG
Exploit failed
failure
Exploit complete!
Press any key to ... (phone reboots)

Results:
no Superuser.apk installed and effetivley no root

I have also attempted using the original motofail2go_windows.zip without the changed Superuser.apk & SU-file (same results as illustrated above).

Any advice would be appreciated,
thanks

UPDATE:
I think the solution for my problem is here;
11-28-2012 03:41 PM #5 (Post #5 in this thread below)
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ional-process-s-root-after-ota-jb-update.html

Airos4

Reaction score
Precisely similar results. I really would prefer not to have to wipe data and cache - I just got this phone 3 weeks ago, got it to where I like everything, and don't want to start over again unless it's absolutely necessary.

RE: Original Question - Functional process(s) to Root after OTA JB Update ?

I am still unable to root after JB OTA Update to 4.1.1
Process followed by results below:

1. Download and extract the entire zip file. (http://vulnfactory.org/public/motofail2go_windows.zip)
Download this: http://www.aosp.us/wp-content/files/Root.zip
Inside the folders you will find su.apk and superuser.apk. Copy and replace the ones that came in the original post with these two apks here.

2. Ensure your device is connected via USB and that you have installed the latest ADB drivers from Motorola.

3. Double-click "run.bat" and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. The exploit will ask you to press a button combination at one point.

1st Screen:
View attachment 58309
"Volume Up + Power simultaneously" does not appear to "trigger bugreport"
"vibration" is just the ringer volume increasing.

2nd Screen:
View attachment 58310

3rd Screen:
View attachment 58311
Exploit failed
failure
Exploit complete!
Press any key to ... (phone reboots)

Results:
no Superuser.apk installed and effetivley no root

I have also attempted using the original motofail2go_windows.zip without the changed Superuser.apk & SU-file (same results as illustrated above).

Any advice would be appreciated,
thanks

danish14in

Reaction score
y cant I update my S3 to 4.1.1 jelly bean ? still havent received the update notification

lwags67

Reaction score
Precisely similar results. I really would prefer not to have to wipe data and cache - I just got this phone 3 weeks ago, got it to where I like everything, and don't want to start over again unless it's absolutely necessary.
If you have it where you want it, why do you want to root? Never seen any great advantage to rooting.

Spey

Reaction score
If you have it where you want it, why do you want to root? Never seen any great advantage to rooting.

Hmmm ...,
first thing that comes to mind is under-clocking,
then maybe control of the indicator LEDS's,
and then the list goes on ...

Madgoat999

Reaction score

Try holding down power and volume up for 5 seconds. you will feel the first vibrate right away, you should keep holding until you feel it vibrate a second time about 5 seconds later. this worked for medancedroid

Spey

Reaction score
Madgoat999,

wish it could be so simple,
been there, done that, same results.

Holding the Power Button + Volume Up Button simultaneously adjusts volume up (holding for 5/10/15-seconds longer has no effect).
Appreciate you reply though, and glad you found solution for your device (and confirm that someone out there has successfully rooted AFTER OTA to JB 4.1.1).

I am still in same unsolved issue, hoping for a solution.

UPDATE:
I think the solution for my problem is here;
11-28-2012 03:41 PM #5 (Post #5 in this thread below)
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ional-process-s-root-after-ota-jb-update.html

scotty084

Reaction score
This is my 1st time being on and just wondering from what i have read that the offical jelly bean update for normal people like me is not out yet? just the soak test is out to the testers? sorry if its been asked to much just i read and all i see everyone doing the on from the internet.. i just want a answer on OTA and when it will be actually released.

huskur

Reaction score
It is rolling out now and many RAZR users have it. You can manually check if it is ready for you by going to menu--> setting---> about phone (scroll down)---> software update

scotty084

Reaction score
Ya i been seeing alot of people with it thats why im confused. i been doing that and it just keeps saying my phone is up to date. it just drives me nuts when motorola 5 days ago says the update is out and im not seeing anything coming to me lol

scotty084

Reaction score
Im honestly trying to wait for the OTA. Im not that great with doing that kinda stuff and i dont want the risk of it messing up or anything and then not have my phone get fixed if the stuff breaks.