Jelly Bean email client bug

dgreekva

Reaction score
After upgrading my Maxx from ICS to JB, I went on a trip. Did my normal deleting of email from my phone knowing and confirming the setting of "Never" delete from the server.

Low and behold, two days later when I could look at my email via a browser, I had NO email. How wonderful is that? So far my email provider hung up on me and my wireless carrier hasn't responded to my inquiries.

Is this some strange corner case or are others having this issue?

I am stock all the way on my Maxx.

Thanks!

brucefulton

Reaction score
After upgrading my Maxx from ICS to JB, I went on a trip. Did my normal deleting of email from my phone knowing and confirming the setting of "Never" delete from the server.

Low and behold, two days later when I could look at my email via a browser, I had NO email. How wonderful is that? So far my email provider hung up on me and my wireless carrier hasn't responded to my inquiries.

Is this some strange corner case or are others having this issue?

I am stock all the way on my Maxx.

Thanks!

I think possibly you may be confusing a couple of delete scenarios with synchronized email. Pop email servers normally delete email from a server once a pop client retrieves the email unless you set the flag that says leave email on the server. However if you have synchronized the accounts and especially if you have configured the account as IMAP, deleting the message from the phone synchronizes to the server and deletes from there as well, even if the flag to leave mail on the server is set. Two different scenarios.

If you don't want mail automatically deleted from the server when you retrieve it with a client and you are set up as pop, set the flag.

However, and especially if you have configured the account as IMAP (which may be the default depending on your mail service), deleting from your phone may also delete from the server if the client and server are set to synchronize. So don't delete email on the phone if you want to keep it. Let it synchronize and manage/archive old email through the web interface, or on your phone if you have also synchronized an archive mailbox on an imap-configured account and client.

Check to see whether the account is configured for pop or imap. Imap is generally preferable as a synchronizing tool when you access an account from multiple clients, but it behaves differently than pop accounts.

OP
D

dgreekva

Reaction score
Thanks, appreciate the reply.

I have my smartphone client set up as POP since my provider us running a POP3 server (standard pop/SMTP type system.

The flag was set to not delete, remained that way post upgrade.

I will say, of all things, (and my 36 years of high tech career face is blushing), stupid me left my home PC on w/Outlook client running. Yes, a bug duh to me.

Telling everyone so they know it wasn't a bug I hit, just "operator error", aka dumba--. LOL. If you can't be honest, even when its embarrassing, you can't ever help others or receive assistance.

Thanks for checking in and being willing to help. :)