JB leak Android OS & the Battery use

mindhead1

Reaction score
I side loaded the Christmas JB leak on my Maxx and everything was great for the first 4-5 weeks.

I don't know the exact cause or time, but at some point a couple of weeks ago I started seeing excessive battery drain. I went from going 18 hours in a single charge with 30% or so battery left to barely making it 12 hours and dropping below 10%.

I noticed that the Android OS in the battery use indicator was running @ 40%. This seemed his to me as I never noticed this going above 10% before.

I rooted the phone and installed BetterBatteryStats and determined that Light Flow Lite and Google+ sync were the major offenders. I uninstalled Light Flow and disabled Google+ sync and my battery life has improved (something to do with wake locks). It's not where it was, but it is better.

The Android OS is still showing 40%+ battery use. Is this normal for JB?

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I had been getting as much as 50 hours on my maxx but it has dropped to the 40's lately. I think the gulprit may be google+.

Another interesting thing I found a while back (and posted about) is the gmail widget - but not the gmail app - is a huge battery hog, taking as much as 50% of my battery life. Simply removing the widget from my screen gave me a significant amount of battery life back.

David

Likwid_E

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4
After updating to the Christmas JB leak my battery life has decreased substantially. I'm also rooted.

Likwid_E

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4
I'm at 30% after 9 hours of virtually no use. Just 12 text messages and the occasional power button to screen on and check the time... That's it.

Background data off... Wifi off.. No widgets at all.. Display brightness as low as possible..

My phone needs help ;_;

Last edited:

Likwid_E

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4
Random update...

I disabled the JB leak homescreen that was set to the default, and started using my GO Launcher again. I also turned Mobile Data off. And changed my keyboard input from Swype to the regular stock keyboard. Left the house today, 100% charge, using my phone as little as I did in my previous post. A couple text messages here and there. A few power button to screen on and check the time.

It's been 9 hours, just like yesterday, and I'm at 70% left on my battery compared to the 30% yesterday...

Those little tweaks just MASSIVELY changed my battery life.

Coincidence?

OP
M

mindhead1

Reaction score
I disabled all of my widgets this morning. I'll let you know if this impacts my battery over the next couple of days.

OP
M

mindhead1

Reaction score
I think I found the culprit for my battery problems. I started uninstalling Apps that I wasn't using in an attempt to see what was causing the wake_locks (2-3million per day). Battery life was still suffering and not back to where I could go 2 days on a single charge.

I had FoxFi installed on ICS, it doesn't work on JB. I also noticed that my Wifi stats via BetterBatteryStats was very hi even though I had the Wfi turned off. In addition I noticed that my wifi and bluetooth were turning themselves on during the day. I thought it might be SmartActions so I disabled them all but the Wifi and Bluetooth kept coming on unprompted.

Longstory short, I uninstalled FoxFi and wake_locks are down significantly. Wifi and bluetooth are no longer turning themselves on and battery life is greatly improved. I am still at 90% charge after 9.25 hours off the charger. Today has been a relatively light use day, but under similar conditions prior to the FoxFi uninstall I would be at 50% or below by this time.