"Android OS" Draining Battery when Phone is idle??

Reaction score
is anyone else noticing an extreme battery drain? Unplugged at 6:30 am with a full battery, and after sitting in my pocket entirely idle for about 3 hours, i lost 40 percent of my battery, all the way down to 60 percent. The battery usage shows android OS using up 63% of the battery! Watchdog alerted me today that the "suspend" process was using a ton of the cpu. any ideas?

CurGeorge8

Reaction score
The battery use meter displays what percentage each application has drained your battery. If nothing else is running, and the phone is idle, then the only thing that could be draining the battery is the Android OS.

Most likely caused by your phone constantly struggling to pick up a signal. If you aren't using your phone, many suggest turning 4G off. This is probably the biggest idle battery drain.

OP
S
Reaction score
The main point of my post was that I am losing almost half my battery in very little time, with no apps running. I always keep my phone set to 3G only unless I have a need for the 4G (downloading a large file, etc). Also, the watchdog alert for the 'suspend' process still bothers me. Thank you for your timely response though! I appreciate it

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
I'm curious if you're using any battery saver or task killer apps? They can actually cause more battery drain because of the way android uses apps.

OP
S
Reaction score
No, Ive heard of how awful those can be for battery life, and i've steered clear of those. Which is why this baffles me so much.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The main point of my post was that I am losing almost half my battery in very little time, with no apps running. I always keep my phone set to 3G only unless I have a need for the 4G (downloading a large file, etc). Also, the watchdog alert for the 'suspend' process still bothers me. Thank you for your timely response though! I appreciate it

Just curious, when is the last time you fully charged the phone (100%) while turned off? Also, when is the last time the battery was depleted to the "low battery" warning?

I am wondering if the apparent dramatic battery consumption is simply due to the battery meter being out of calibration. It may appear as though there had been massive consumption and the only items running would be blamed by the usage stats resulting in high percentages but it may not actually be losing as much power as is being reported.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

CurGeorge8

Reaction score
There are at least a dozen other bionic battery life threads out there......

wilkster

Reaction score
.... Also, the watchdog alert for the 'suspend' process still bothers me...

This shouldn't be happening. It sounds like a wakelock issue. Google "android troubleshooting wakelock" to find some suggestions. You may have a rouge process preventing the phone from suspending properly.

OP
S
Reaction score
@foxcat - I have calibrated the battery and all that good stuff just about once a week to be on the safe side

@curgeorge8 - I am aware of that, but there was nothing about this specific issue that I could find, and I figured I probably wasn't the only one with this issue, others might find it helpful as well.

@wilkster - i'll check that out and report back with the results! Thanks!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When mine developed a sudden rock like battery drain I found through trial and error with a task killer on manual that a combination of using the camera and sending an MMS via handcent without killing the camera first is causing my Android os to use cpu heavily and not stop until I reboot the phone or kill the camera and handcent. If I kill the camera before sending it doesn't do it

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
the thing that strikes me as funny is the watchdog notification in the OP... watchdog is another app that drains battery and does more harm than good if you ask me... yeah ... i know... nobody asked me

OP
S
Reaction score
@boomchuck I don't allow watch dog to kill apps, etc. I only use it for monitoring purposes.

colorfulbliss

Reaction score
OP, have you turned up anything new on this issue? I too have had this problem for months and can't seem to find any answers. I did go through a brief time (week or two) after one of the system updates that this problem went away. So I do have a good reference point for how the phone SHOULD work. When it's working correctly, phone off charger, wi-fi on, bluetooth on, 4g on, cpu use as reported by System Panel stays consistently well below 1%, and I assume this would be the "sleep" state. When it sleeps correctly, I make it through 10 hours at work using only 10% battery(I use it very lightly at work). Most of the time though, I have the "suspend" thing going on and at these times I lose 40 - 50% of battery over 10 hours regardless of wi-fi & etc settings. CPU usage hovers around 3% sometimes with jumps to 10% according to System Panel. My guess is that some app or part of the OS fails to respond to repeated attempts by "suspend" to go to sleep. But I've had no luck in finding out what won't sleep. Does anyone know if there is a way to get the OS to dump a logfile that would show what it is attempting to suspend?