It's No Surprise That 26 Note 7 Claims Were Fraudulent

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Where ever there is a disaster you can rest assured some greedy individuals will look to sink their teeth in and take advantage. Samsung has not been entirely transparent when it comes to the investigation of battery explosions since stating that 35 cases had been reported initially. While we still don't know the full extent of the damage we now know that so far 26 of the reported cases were either false claims or could not be confirmed by Samsung.

Samsung considers false claims to be cases where there were no pictures, claimants can't be contacted, reports where Samsung found no fault with the Note 7 device, or if the device ended up being a phone other than the Note 7. 15 countries including the US, UK, Canada, South Korea, Singapore, Philippines, Turkey, Vietnam, Croatia, Romania, Iraq, Lebanon, the UAE, and Czech Republic are included here. I guess some folks think the only way you can make it in life is to win the lottery or stage a slip and fall. Apparently there were a few folks hoping to score some quick cash here.

Apparently Samsung was able to confirm some actual cases of devices exploding since they are currently neck deep in a recall. 500,000 new devices are already available in the US. Samsung has already forfeited about $1Billion to make this right. This could mean that the damage wasn't as horrid as initially thought. Does this kind of behavior surprise you?

via ZDNet

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
That's not surprising. I figured that would be the case with at least a handful of the claims. Just glad Samsung did some investigating.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
That's not surprising. I figured that would be the case with at least a handful of the claims. Just glad Samsung did some investigating.
Agreed, in every situation such as this, there will be "opportunists" who will try to benefit from the situation and its vague circumstances, violent or horrific results and relative ease of creating a false positive of results.

The good thing is that Samsung didn't waste time addressing the risks posed by an apparently very real problem. Fraudulent claims do not diminish the seriousness of the risks and the potential for even more grave consequences had it not been addressed as a recall. Also, fortunately the replacement process seems to be moving in a positive direction, albeit with a somewhat rocky start.

Domestic violence

Reaction score
There were scumbags who attempted to capitalize on the September 11th terror attacks so some tech geek attempting to do this with Sammy doesn't surprise me

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
There were scumbags who attempted to capitalize on the September 11th terror attacks so some tech geek attempting to do this with Sammy doesn't surprise me
Like Starbucks selling water to rescue workers? Yea that a scumbag company.

People will always try to find a quick buck. Spill hot coffee on your lap for millions. Who wants cold coffee? Idiots are everywhere, Darwin can't keep up.